I’ve been bitten by the tube bug!

AzTunes

I’ve been bitten by the tube bug!
« on: 13 Nov 2020, 07:15 pm »
Hi all,
As the title implies I’ve been taken by the tube world. I have a Odyssey Candella & a Kismet (in a Kartago case) I’m going to part with. Both were purchase by me from Klaus in January of this year (2020). I’d like to find a good home for these two components. If anyone is interested in buying them send me a PM to discuss. I would prefer a local sale (I’m in the Phoenix Az area) but will consider shipping.

Big Hendy

Re: I’ve been bitten by the tube bug!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2020, 09:50 pm »
AZ, I find your post a bit intriguing.  I have been listening to tubes (primarily PrimaLuna) and SS equipment (exclusively Odyssey) for 20 years now.  I have had the PrimaLuna Dialogue pre- which is a tube preamp, the Rogue 66 - which is a tube pre, and the Candela.  IMHO the Candela runs circles around them for that warm and three dimensional sound.  I still have a set of tube mono blocks and the Kismet fully-loaded monos (with the most recent upgrades offered from Klaus).  For the overall tube experience - yet clarity that tubes can’t provide - I have found the Candela/Kismet combo unbeatable.

Notwithstanding all the reviews and measurements that the various audio press puts out, your experience and mine (which appear to differ a bit) is proof again that, at the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference.  I am at a state where I really think I can step off the upgrade treadmill as I experience goosebumps every day I engage in a listening session.  Sounds like (poor pun intended), you are still in search of audio nirvana.  Good luck in your endeavors.

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2020, 12:07 am »
I am using RCA 1957 Blackplates in the candela.  Very nice sound. 

smargo

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2020, 01:50 am »
Notwithstanding all the reviews and measurements that the various audio press puts out, your experience and mine (which appear to differ a bit) is proof again that, at the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference. 

Nothing can be more true -throughout the 30 years or so listening to music thru tubes and solid state and class d- i find i can be so fickle - one day i like tubes - 2 weeks later i like class d and 3 weeks later i like pure solid state - there is never a vehicle that i settle on - it always depends on what i read - how much money i have to spend and where i am on my jouney thru life.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2020, 02:22 pm »
If your amplification doesn't satisfy you, let it go. Be aware though, modern tube gear doesn't always provide that tube "magic" you're looking for. I've heard the lush, three-dimensional sound from tubes, but not from modern tube gear. I had to go vintage (1960s) to hear it. And yes, it is magic.

AzTunes

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2020, 04:35 pm »
My decision to gravitate towards tube amplification isn’t impulsive. I should explain in some better detail. For years I was completely satisfied with my backbone setup - a PSE (Professional Systems Engineering) Studio IV power amp a PSE studio SL preamp and set of Vandersteen model 2 speakers. This was a killer setup in my living room (~ 16’ x 24’ x 8’ ). About a year ago I decided I wanted to have a dedicated listening area. I convinced my wife to let me take  over one of our extra bedrooms. This room is significantly smaller (~ 11’ x 13’ x 8’). Immediately I noted the Vandies weren’t happy in their new location. Decided then a new speakers were required. After several months of research and test listening I decided on a pair of Focal Aria 926’s. This is when the snowball started rolling. A new power & preamp (Kismet & Candella). I was very pleased with the new purchases. Of course the ball kept rolling though. I noted my phono preamp wasn’t up to this new level of listening. So, the search began for a new Phono amp. I decided on a mm only tube phono preamp (Aric Audio Transcend). What a huge upgrade from my Vincent PH701! This lead me into discussion with the builder and a significantly upgraded tube preamp was ordered (Aric Audio Ultimate II SE). The sonic difference was significant and measurable. I noted a +3db increase in frequencies > 500hz. For my room, which has wall and ceiling treatments really improved MY listening experience. The advantages tube gear gives me in MY room is amazing. We are all looking for that correct sound in our listening spaces. I believe tube amplification allows me to best prepare my room for a listening experience I enjoy. I hope everyone in this hobby gets to experience that type of sonic experience. Haven’t decided on type of tube power amp yet. I’m leaning towards a SET amp. Still using my Kismet until I make that decision. Happy Holidays to all!