Purchasing Odyssey amp

WarmColors

Purchasing Odyssey amp
« on: 2 Sep 2020, 03:06 pm »
Hi all,

When you purchased your amp from Klaus are you paying the price he tells you over the phone for the product?
Does klaus charge an hourly rate for building the amp it self? On top of the base price of the amp?

I've been trying to get in touch with klaus but no answer.

geerock

Re: Purchasing Odyssey amp
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2020, 04:12 pm »
I don't want to speak for Klaus but I know the number he gave me was for parts and labor.  Pretty sure thats how he works.

WarmColors

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2020, 05:11 pm »
I don't want to speak for Klaus but I know the number he gave me was for parts and labor.  Pretty sure thats how he works.

Can anybody else confirm?

I hope your right. I won't be able to afford the amp if I have to pay for labour also.

GeneS

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2020, 05:47 pm »
Obviously I didn’t hear the conversation, but the price he gives is the price for whatever product you discussed with whatever “customization “or upgrades you may have discussed. He’s building this product for you.
The only separate charge would be for shipping, which is dependent on many things many of which are out of Klaus’ control.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2020, 06:57 pm »
I've spoken on the phone with him about a buzz with my old-ish Tempest preamp. We spoke and he quoted me a price for an upgrade and I just decided to buy an AVA hifi Humdinger which got rid of it.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2020, 07:35 pm »
You’ll need to confirm, but I believe the price he gives will be inclusive of the amp and whatever upgrades you agree upon. Shipping will be extra.

Call about 8:00 pm Indy time.
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2020, 12:35 pm by Ice10 »

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2020, 07:47 pm »
Yes - I can confirm that the price Klaus quotes you is the price that you will pay. 

I've had a pair of Kismets and a Candela breaking in for a little over a month, and all I can say is that I predict that you'll be very happy with your Odyssey gear.  I went with the "Bling Factor' of the full-on Kismet cases, but I believe that Klaus can put all of his best technology into the regular Stratos or Khartago cases as well at a lower price point.

From my own experience so far and from what I gather from other owners, the Odyssey Audio brand offers excellent value and fantastic personal customer service from Klaus to boot. I'll be putting up a review of sorts after another month or two, when I'm confident that everything has settled in.

Klaus is easier to reach later in the day, as he's out there building amps non-stop for long periods of time during business hours. You could also try e-mailing him.

Best of luck to you, WC!

DeeCee

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2020, 08:00 pm »
Hi all,

When you purchased your amp from Klaus are you paying the price he tells you over the phone for the product?
Does klaus charge an hourly rate for building the amp it self? On top of the base price of the amp?

In my specific case, after discussing my requirements, he gave me the total price which included ship. He then requested a small portion up front and later, upon completion, requested the balance.

That was it. No hourly rate additional.

To contact Klaus, it's best to use the phone - sometime late in the afternoon. He typically calls you back later in the evening (I suspect he is a night owl.)

Hope this helps!

DeeCee

A_shah

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2020, 08:12 am »
Call Klaus
you will have  good experience with him he is pretty upfront about his pricing and discounts , it was a pleasure dealing with Klaus  when I purchased a Kismet amp from him , although I no longer have that amp.  :thumb:

Asghar

firedog

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2020, 10:28 am »
Yes, best to call late afternoon- evening.
Klaus gives you his bottom line price. I did ask for it in writing in an email, together with a description of the amp - so I'd know exactly what I was getting for my money. That is what I got.

He's great to deal with. But he is optimistic about lead times. Expect that it will take longer than his estimate. No biggie, he comes thru.

IndyJeff

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2020, 12:33 am »
The price Klaus gave me is the price I paid.   Klaus exceeded my expectations with the preamp and the power amp I piurchased.   He provided excellent customer service before and after the sale.   If there are any issues, he quickly addresses any very quickly.   I would have no concerns with making a future purchase or upgrade from Klaus.

Lkdog

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2020, 01:30 am »
I bought SE Mono Extremes back in 2007. He quoted a price plus shipping. I paid it when they were ready to go and the amps were ready after a couple months I believe.

My Mono Extremes caps went out after 13 years of being on 24/7. Called him about repairs. He suggested upgrading using same case.
I decided to get the Kismets version that were being made late last year. Quoted a price and said it would be a couple months. He kind of is on his own time schedule, but that is not unusual in this business.

Covid hit and things were delayed.
I checked back this Spring and after more discussion went for the newest version Kismet parts he was excited about. It was more money. I could have stayed at the price point I
was at. I figured it would be another 13-15 years before I upgraded.
Finally got them this week.
Basically he will work with you at whatever price point you want, but likes to get people into the best gear he can.
He is one of a kind no bullshit guy.
The Kismets are beasts. If you can swing it- do it.
On day 2 of break in and already hear a significant upgrade from what I had which were already very good.

Of note- I have heard amps and systems with most of the big names. I really didn't even consider not going with Klaus again.
Its a quality product.

lovelexicon

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2020, 03:09 am »
Lkdog:

I have the regular Mono Extremes from 2003 (they are also on 24/7) and am thinking about replacing the caps.

How did your amps behave when the caps went out?

My amps still sound pretty good, so I don't know what to expect when the caps degrade or go out.

Thank you.

Lkdog

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2020, 10:43 am »
Lkdog:

I have the regular Mono Extremes from 2003 (they are also on 24/7) and am thinking about replacing the caps.

How did your amps behave when the caps went out?

My amps still sound pretty good, so I don't know what to expect when the caps degrade or go out.

Thank you.

They just started crackling a bit even when no signal was going through them. It would come and go then more consistent.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2020, 01:19 am by Lkdog »

lovelexicon

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2020, 07:10 pm »
Lkdog:

Thank you for responding.

Now I know what to look for.

jeffb28451

« Reply #15 on: 4 Dec 2020, 12:48 am »
Price is for amp and all options. Shipping comes later when amps are ready to ship. Klaus is quite “ enthusiastic” and gets excited just talking about his product. I just got some insanely upgraded custom monos. Took a while, but pricing was transparent. Klaus really works best by telephone. He will call you at late hours, if you are available, because that’s when he slows down a little.

Great guy. Solid products and no tricks. If you want instant gratification, then go with a Rotel or other decent, non-custom amp. Klaus generally builds to your specs and his advice as to many things, including biasing the amps based on your AC outlet voltage! Don’t know who else does that!

owlsalum1

« Reply #16 on: 4 Dec 2020, 02:54 pm »
The price he quotes is the price you pay. He backed my phone order for fully SE upgraded Kismet mono extremes, all the goodies, with a written invoice. He even quoted me shipping, which I pre-paid. No games, no hidden costs. One of the many reasons he's got a loyal customer base.

Jegyed

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2020, 04:15 pm »
Hi all,

I spoke with him twice about a month ago and gave him my credit card to buy a new amp and have since not heard a thing, but it is Christmas and I am going to assume he is just really busy.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2020, 04:52 pm »
I spoke with him twice about a month ago and gave him my credit card to buy a new amp and have since not heard a thing, but it is Christmas and I am going to assume he is just really busy.
When I ordered mine Klaus gave me an approximate date of completion. Didn't hear from him till he was ready to ship it which was within a couple of days of the date he quoted. You'll be quite pleased with it.

artur9

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2020, 09:18 pm »
Klaus does nice work.  I esp. like seeing my nameplate on the back of the amp - that's just pride of ownership right there.

I wish Klaus had a few "in stock" amps as I'm wanting a stock Khartago.