BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

rob80b

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #1260 on: 17 Mar 2021, 04:28 pm »
Haven't posted in awhile but that's not to say Bryston is not getting daily use. 

Not too sure why some find these Sennheiser's lacking in base and slam. :wink:

R. Daneel

« Reply #1261 on: 26 Mar 2021, 01:07 pm »
Hey Rob, I was wondering where you were!

Let me tell you, I still find the immediacy and 'slam' of the Sennheiser a lot superior to cans with the reputation of 'slamming hard'. But like everything else in life, it's horses for courses.

Cheers,
Antun

Lwxian

« Reply #1262 on: 11 Apr 2021, 06:30 am »
Hi All Bryston BHA-1 Users!
Wanted to share some discovery that may be useful to those who uses Bryston player, DAC and headphone amp.
To be frank, I am not an intense headphone user, I have bought the BHA-1 and modified my headphones AKG K701 to a balanced cable to use with the BHA-1 when my kids are babies about 7 years ago... (not to disturb my babies when they sleep).

Recently, I have dug out my balanced headphones and start listening to them again (not to disturb my kids when they are studying for exams). Obviously the BHA-1 sounds wonderful with the Bryston BDP-2 and BDA-3 combination. However, it is not as convenient to control volume as BHA-1 does not come with a remote to control volume.

However, I discovered that BDA-3 in fact could control the volume as well via the mobile phone! The volume control in BDA-3 is just a slider in the browser and the volume lights are also reflected on the BDA-3 when adjusting the volume! So my mobile phone became my control not only for volume but also the Media Player that controls the BDP-2!

So convenient! Now I can easily listen to music from Tidal on my headphones with the Power of Bryston Music all controlled from my mobile.

I hope this sharing will be useful for all Bryston gear owners.

Cheers!
Leong.

mav52

« Reply #1263 on: 11 Apr 2021, 11:46 am »
Use my BHA-1 everyday via Balanced with my HD800s

KeithA

« Reply #1264 on: 11 Apr 2021, 03:05 pm »
I haven't been around these parts in a few years. Looking to maybe get a BHA-1 in the near future as I think I want to dabble with headphones for a change. There is another potential amp in the mix but the BHA-1 is a definite possibility.

Now we have to wait for Ontario to open up.

James - My local Bryston dealer closed up shop several years ago. I notice that your website has an 'online shopping' option. Does this mean that I can order, say a BHA-1, direct from Bryston if I have no local dealer?

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1265 on: 11 Apr 2021, 03:09 pm »
I haven't been around these parts in a few years. Looking to maybe get a BHA-1 in the near future as I think I want to dabble with headphones for a change. There is another potential amp in the mix but the BHA-1 is a definite possibility.

Now we have to wait for Ontario to open up.

James - My local Bryston dealer closed up shop several years ago. I notice that your website has an 'online shopping' option. Does this mean that I can order, say a BHA-1, direct from Bryston if I have no local dealer?

Keith

Hi Keith

We still only sell through authorized dealers.  If you fill out the form in 'Shopping' we then forward that to the most competent dealer and he will contact you through email or phone (depending on your wishes) and arrange the sale.

james

KeithA

« Reply #1266 on: 11 Apr 2021, 04:06 pm »
Hi Keith

We still only sell through authorized dealers.  If you fill out the form in 'Shopping' we then forward that to the most competent dealer and he will contact you through email or phone (depending on your wishes) and arrange the sale.

james

Ah, thanks James. I sent that request in late last week from the website. However, I have no trouble finding a dealer and ordering direct 😊 It’s time for a refresh so a BDA 3.14 will be in the works eventually as well (to replace my Logitech transporter and BDA-1 combo).

KeithA

« Reply #1267 on: 13 Apr 2021, 01:09 pm »
Hi Keith

james

Thanks James. I'm actually ordering one via Solen today. If this transaction runs smoothly I'll likely go through them as I refresh a few Bryston pieces over the year (BDP, BDA, etc.)

Oh, and congrats on the new venture with the Mothership  8)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1268 on: 13 Apr 2021, 06:08 pm »
Thanks - so far it looks good - we are going to be able to manufacture a lot of the parts ourselves going forward.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1269 on: 14 Apr 2021, 01:42 pm »
However, I discovered that BDA-3 in fact could control the volume as well via the mobile phone! The volume control in BDA-3 is just a slider in the browser and the volume lights are also reflected on the BDA-3 when adjusting the volume! So my mobile phone became my control not only for volume but also the Media Player that controls the BDP-2!

Greetings!

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid post but I really don't understand any of this. The interface where you can select all the inputs on the BDA-3, is that a web-interface? Is the BDA-3 connected lo LAN? The interface looks like it's Linux-based but I don't think there's a Linux computer running inside the BDA-3, is there?

Or is it an interface for the BDP-2 which is somehow integrated with the BDA-3 so that it allows for input switching on the BDA-3?

Would anyone care to comment on this?

I likely don't have this ability because I have a BDA-2 rather than a -3 and it doesn't have a LAN connector, presuming that's what it's all about.

Cheers - Antun

Lwxian

« Reply #1270 on: 15 Apr 2021, 04:21 pm »
Hi Antun,

Volume control is a feature in bda3 and yes, bda 3 is connected to Lan.

If you use mybryston.com in the web browser, all Bryston devices that is connected to your network will appear in the browser. You can select your bdp2 or bda3 from there too.

Hope this is clear enough.

LEONG

R. Daneel

« Reply #1271 on: 25 Apr 2021, 01:28 pm »
Hope this is clear enough.

LEONG

Hi Leong!

Yes, crystal clear, thank you!

That tells me Bryston made some internal changes to the BDA-3 compared to the BDA-2 to allow for the LAN connectivity to function like this. That's rather interesting especially since nothing of a sort has been mentioned in the brochure or the usual and mostly useless reviews.

Thanks!

Cheers -- Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1272 on: 12 Jul 2021, 09:01 pm »

soriorda

« Reply #1273 on: 20 Jul 2021, 01:48 pm »
Hi James,
I'm new the AudioCircle but I've purchased several brand new Bryston products in the past. I'm currently in the process of placing an order for a new BHA-1 from an authorized dealer in Ontario. I am planning on using this with balanced inputs from my DAC and balanced outputs (4pin XLR) to my Sennheiser HD800s. I previously owned a BHA-1 from 2016 and was wondering if the volume is the same in the new production units. I saw some posts suggesting volume was changed to a more linear gain but can't find much else. Aside from the new cubed series finished faceplace are there any changes to the new production BHA-1 units?

Also curious to ask what optional upgrades/modifications are available.

Thank you,
Sean

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1274 on: 20 Jul 2021, 02:35 pm »
Hi Sean

The only option is you can reduce the Gain by 12dB if you feel there is too much gain in the default setting.

james

soriorda

« Reply #1275 on: 20 Jul 2021, 02:51 pm »
Hi Sean

The only option is you can reduce the Gain by 12dB if you feel there is too much gain in the default setting.

james

Thanks James. I'll try the BHA as-is first. Looking forward to it!

-Sean

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #1276 on: 26 Jul 2021, 10:42 pm »
I'm sure this was posted somewhere but this thread is 64 pages long... can the low-gain modification be done by a reasonably skilled person at home?

I'm assuming that it involves swapping a couple resistors?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1277 on: 26 Jul 2021, 10:50 pm »
I'm sure this was posted somewhere but this thread is 64 pages long... can the low-gain modification be done by a reasonably skilled person at home?

I'm assuming that it involves swapping a couple resistors?

Hi - please ask MIke - mpickett@bryston.com

james

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #1278 on: 13 Oct 2021, 01:12 pm »
Hi All! I’m a Huge Bryston fan and recently purchased a BDA-3.14 to replace my DIY streamer and inferior preamp.
Was wondering if any of you were using the BHA-1 as a preamp, as well as a headphone amp, to drive your power amp.  If so, how is that working out? Please state your system components when replying.

Thanks!

rob80b

« Reply #1279 on: 13 Oct 2021, 08:28 pm »
Hi All! I’m a Huge Bryston fan and recently purchased a BDA-3.14 to replace my DIY streamer and inferior preamp.
Was wondering if any of you were using the BHA-1 as a preamp, as well as a headphone amp, to drive your power amp.  If so, how is that working out? Please state your system components when replying.

Thanks!

Posted a few years back on using the BHA-1 as a pre-amp and was fairly impressed with its performance.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121595.0
Few things to be aware of is that if using headphones there is no mute or toggle switch when inserting the phones to disengage the signal to an amp. Of course the work around is to turn off the power amp.......other than that IMHO it makes an excellent pre-amp and worked great with the 4BSST powering a pair of Dynaudio Special 25s and BCD-1 as source. Going from memory it did appear to out perform my BP25 which was in my system for over a decade, the BHA-1 does lack the flexibility of Bryston's dedicated pre-amps but for a minimalist set-up I'd say go for it.   :D