BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #500 on: 3 Dec 2012, 01:38 am »
Bravo!!! Once again I am happy to see my BHA / HD800 choice confirmed. I couldn't agree more with the findings and I think, James, that readout (incl. Otwin's additional forum comment) WARRANTS a translation!

P.S.: maybe James you did overlook my earlier question regarding the power consumption of the BDA and BDP? Since Bryston now specifies that I think first time with the BHA? At least I didn't see it yet for the other two fine components I own from lovely Bryston. Thanks!

Hi Joker

Sorry missed that - email mike Pickett - mpickett@bryston.com

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #501 on: 3 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm »
James, thank you for sending us one for review.  Still breaking in, but pretty awesome so far!

:)

ENJOY :thumb:

Vipers

« Reply #502 on: 4 Dec 2012, 10:38 am »

Anyone have eperience to share on using the BHA as a preamp?
Still considering a B4SST2. If only it had a mute button  :|.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob, when I first got my BHA-1 I hooked it up to my 4B SST2 just to see how well it worked and it really surprised me, I've not had much experience of the BP6 or 16, only the BP26 and SP3, so I'm not sure how it compares with a dedicated pre and where it would slot in regarding performance in the Bryston range, but to me it sounded brilliant. The BHA-1 really is a Bryston bargain as being able to use it as a pre and a reference headphone amp makes it a steal, even at UK prices :)

Vipers

« Reply #503 on: 4 Dec 2012, 10:41 am »
Hi Vipers and Joker:
Comfortable listening level on this track would now be closer to an average of 65dB and slightly below 9'oclock.
Cheers

Thanks loopyground, Sounds like I need to get my ears cleaned out :?

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #504 on: 4 Dec 2012, 11:31 am »
Hi Bob, when I first got my BHA-1 I hooked it up to my 4B SST2 just to see how well it worked and it really surprised me, I've not had much experience of the BP6 or 16, only the BP26 and SP3, so I'm not sure how it compares with a dedicated pre and where it would slot in regarding performance in the Bryston range, but to me it sounded brilliant. The BHA-1 really is a Bryston bargain as being able to use it as a pre and a reference headphone amp makes it a steal, even at UK prices :)

Thanks Paul,

First I need to upgrade the speakers (shortlist contains PMC Fact8 and, naturally, Bryston Model T).
The 4B may be next!

Cheers,
Bob

Marius

« Reply #505 on: 5 Dec 2012, 09:40 pm »

look what Sinterklaas gave me tonight, this "Pakjesavond" (presents-evening), a handmade BHA1 with accompanying headphones:

Marius

Vipers

« Reply #506 on: 7 Dec 2012, 09:17 pm »
Thanks Paul,

First I need to upgrade the speakers (shortlist contains PMC Fact8 and, naturally, Bryston Model T).
The 4B may be next!

Cheers,
Bob

Being a huge PMC fan and very unlikely to get to hear the Model T's for some time I would love to hear your conclusions on that little shootout Bob, I know the Facts extremely well and speaking from experience they are an amazing speaker that works brilliant with Bryston but having read all the great comments regarding the Model T's could make it a very close call.

Please keep us posted Bob when you do audition both speakers :)

Vipers

« Reply #507 on: 7 Dec 2012, 09:22 pm »
look what Sinterklaas gave me tonight, this "Pakjesavond" (presents-evening), a handmade BHA1 with accompanying headphones:

Marius

Nice Marius, the build quality looks, shall we say, interesting, I take it is fully balanced :)

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #508 on: 7 Dec 2012, 10:23 pm »
Being a huge PMC fan and very unlikely to get to hear the Model T's for some time I would love to hear your conclusions on that little shootout Bob, I know the Facts extremely well and speaking from experience they are an amazing speaker that works brilliant with Bryston but having read all the great comments regarding the Model T's could make it a very close call.

Please keep us posted Bob when you do audition both speakers :)

Hi Paul,

Suspect the model T’s  are "on their way" across the atlantic. Have heard the Facts before and was much impressed. As I tend to play at relatively low volumes I especially liked their dynamic nature. They are also quite pretty to look at.  Although I have high expectations of the model T's, the looks will not be their main selling point. It will be difficult for them to hide in my room, the PMC's will likely be better at that.

If it wasn’t for the appearance of the Bryston speakers on the market, I would have bought the Facts some time ago. However, my admiration for our friends from Canada is such that I do not want to buy speakers before I hear the Bryston (Tanner) take on speaker design.

Have reached headphone nirvana (maybe a Cardas balanced cable for the HD800), but would like a similar experience with the speakers.
Will certainly keep you posted,

Cheers,
Bob

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #509 on: 7 Dec 2012, 11:09 pm »

Have PDF as well - jamestanner@bryston.com

CONCLUSION:

"Now forget my small reservations and let’s recognize an outstanding bargain in balanced headphone amps.

If the Bryston sold for $2500 I would not have been surprised and it would still offer strong value. At its current price it is a steal.

Buy one today."

Vipers

« Reply #510 on: 11 Dec 2012, 01:34 pm »
Hi Paul,

If it wasn’t for the appearance of the Bryston speakers on the market, I would have bought the Facts some time ago. However, my admiration for our friends from Canada is such that I do not want to buy speakers before I hear the Bryston (Tanner) take on speaker design.

Cheers,
Bob

Can't blame you for the Bob, like you I admire both PMC and Bryston equally, it is thanks to both those brands that I rediscovered my love for music, and if I was on your side of the pond I would have to audition the Model T's also as all the reviews I've read have been unanimously positive. 

Between you and me, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new addition to the fact range early next year also, maybe worth bearing in mind, only a guess but keep it quiet though :wink:

Marius

« Reply #511 on: 11 Dec 2012, 01:54 pm »
hi,

Maybe off topic, but since we're all talking hd800 also here, please forgive me: my dealer called to say the extra hd800 cable to make into a balanced cable with 4pin neutrik is delayed, since it apparently is made of some special material, coated with teflon  :scratch: seems to make the process of soldering somewhat difficult and they have to test before shipping to the customers. I love this dealer responsibility, but regret the extra time to wait and be able to enjoy the balanced BHA1 outputs.... :cry:

Anyone with a handmade balanced hd800 cable that had any difficulties?

Cheers,
Marius

btw James, got an agreement with Mafico on a special order BHA1 with locked rear XLR's, I hope you'll find in your orderbook soon :thumb: taking the proverbial customer-care to yet another level of greatness. Should we be surprised with this at Bryston? No. Are we glad we chose Bryston: YES! Thanks.

Marius

« Reply #512 on: 11 Dec 2012, 01:58 pm »
Nice Marius, the build quality looks, shall we say, interesting, I take it is fully balanced :)

Lol, it is, as was my Garage.... even found some handmade cabling, that didn't make it to Sinterklaas' quality-standards in the end.
Nice to see even an 11 year-old daughter already feels the need for Bryston-gear. I wonder how come  :wink:

Cheers,
Marius

Samurai7595

« Reply #513 on: 16 Dec 2012, 05:15 pm »
What would be examples of balanced headphones that would be available in North America (Canada) to use with the Bryston BHA-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #514 on: 16 Dec 2012, 05:21 pm »
What would be examples of balanced headphones that would be available in North America (Canada) to use with the Bryston BHA-1?

Hi

As long as your headphones have 2 cables coming from the ear cups (1 wire from each) you can simply remove the 1/4 inch phone jack at the end of the cable and replace it with a 4 pin Balanced XLR connector.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator

Ralf

« Reply #516 on: 17 Dec 2012, 03:00 pm »
On Friday last week I received the demo BHA-1 from AViTech (Austria) who is responsible also for Germany.
After long hear-sessions, I've ordered this morning, a BHA-1 without integreted power-supply at my German distributer.  :D The powersupply MPS-2 of my BP-26 will supply my new BHA-1.
It sounds so phenomenal. I've heared so many details the first time. I'ts not describable in words...

My setup 1:
Source: Cambridge Audio CD840 digital out. ==> BDA-1 ==> BP-26 Bal-In ==> TapeOut of BP-26 ==> BHA-1, RCA in ==> AGK-701 or AKG-702 on my ears 

My setup 2:
Source: Pro-Ject Xperience with Ortofon M2-Bronze ==> BP-26 MM-Phono-In ==> TapeOut of BP-26 ==> BHA-1, RCA in ==> AGK-701 or AKG-702 on my ears   

I'm a little bit sad, that I must send tomorrow the demo device back to AViTech...  :(

I will report when my ordered BHA-1 will arrive. In the meantime I will use the time to modify my headphones so, that I can use the symmetric output of the BHA-1.

I'm so happy :-))

Ralf

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #517 on: 17 Dec 2012, 03:39 pm »
On Friday last week I received the demo BHA-1 from AViTech (Austria) who is responsible also for Germany.
After long hear-sessions, I've ordered this morning, a BHA-1 without integreted power-supply at my German distributer.  :D The powersupply MPS-2 of my BP-26 will supply my new BHA-1.
It sounds so phenomenal. I've heared so many details the first time. I'ts not describable in words...

My setup 1:
Source: Cambridge Audio CD840 digital out. ==> BDA-1 ==> BP-26 Bal-In ==> TapeOut of BP-26 ==> BHA-1, RCA in ==> AGK-701 or AKG-702 on my ears 

My setup 2:
Source: Pro-Ject Xperience with Ortofon M2-Bronze ==> BP-26 MM-Phono-In ==> TapeOut of BP-26 ==> BHA-1, RCA in ==> AGK-701 or AKG-702 on my ears   

I'm a little bit sad, that I must send tomorrow the demo device back to AViTech...  :(

I will report when my ordered BHA-1 will arrive. In the meantime I will use the time to modify my headphones so, that I can use the symmetric output of the BHA-1.

I'm so happy :-))

Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Glad you liked the BHA-1  :thumb:  I might suggest getting the unit with the built in power supply though.  There is no difference in performance between the external and internal supply versions and having the internal supply makes it so much more convient to move from location to location and now that you can use it as a preamp even more flexibility.  Not to mention resale value.

james

BrysTony

« Reply #518 on: 17 Dec 2012, 06:39 pm »
James,
The Bryston website pictures of the BHA-1 still shows the unit without the rear balanced outputs.  Is there any chance that there are dealers with stock of that version and how would one determine the version of a new in the box BHA-1 without looking at it?  Do you know the serial number  of the first BHA-1 that had the rear balanced outputs?
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #519 on: 17 Dec 2012, 09:24 pm »
James,
The Bryston website pictures of the BHA-1 still shows the unit without the rear balanced outputs.  Is there any chance that there are dealers with stock of that version and how would one determine the version of a new in the box BHA-1 without looking at it?  Do you know the serial number  of the first BHA-1 that had the rear balanced outputs?
Tony

Any serial number over 50 has the Preouts - we actually started shipping preamp versions months ago but held off having to raise the price as long as we could.

james