Bamboo SongTowers

Captain Humble

Re: Bamboo SongTowers
« Reply #20 on: 15 Mar 2009, 03:54 pm »
Having it all big one block of bamboo just is a little too plain.
I agree George.
The way the bamboo is cut makes a huge difference in the look.
Our floors were cut so that the rings of the bamboo plant show which adds character.
The rings appear as spots in the picture above.

n2siast

« Reply #21 on: 15 Mar 2009, 04:51 pm »
 :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I'm expecting delivery of my Songtower on St pats day. 

noshortcuts

« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2009, 04:51 pm »
Jim, those are the best STs yet!!! Makes me wish I didn't buy a pair this year already. Absolutely love those.

Nuance

« Reply #23 on: 15 Mar 2009, 04:53 pm »
Nice looking speakers Jim. :thumb:
My wife selected bamboo over hardwood when she replaced the floors in the entry way and dinning room.

Wow, that looks really nice.  Your wife has good taste.  :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2009, 04:55 pm »
I agree George.
The way the bamboo is cut makes a huge difference in the look.
Our floors were cut so that the rings of the bamboo plant show which adds character.
The rings appear as spots in the picture above.

I like your floor Jeff.

I am thinking of going with bamboo for our master suite.

It might be my summer project.

George

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #25 on: 15 Mar 2009, 04:59 pm »

I agree as well. I do not want to turn Jim's thread into a discussion about another product so I will start a new thread in my circle.

I have visited every thread Jim starts about another one of his masterpieces and have built a few products to match his speakers (mutual customers). Here is a preamp that was built to match a pair Jim's HT3 speakers.

« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 09:37 pm by Response Audio »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 15 Mar 2009, 05:02 pm »
Jeff's floor looks even better "in person". 8)

Nice speakers Jim....good job once again....a nice "clean" look.... :beer:

OgOgilby

« Reply #27 on: 16 Mar 2009, 02:56 pm »
Wow, the Bamboo SongTowers look really nice. I agree with Brandon about the full front baffle - excellent, clean design :D

Scottdazzle

« Reply #28 on: 16 Mar 2009, 03:07 pm »
Kudos to everyone who's using bamboo.  :angel: Besides being attractive, it's more renewable, sustainable and environment-friendly than hardwoods.

mchuckp

« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2009, 01:52 pm »
The bamboo obviously doesn't have a deep grain to it (not saying that is bad).  Do you think staining them a darker color will bring out the grain that is there or do you think it will just all and all be a darker speaker and likely cover up the little bit of grain that it has?

Looking at getting some SongTowers soon and really like the idea of using bamboo but I like something more along the line of cherry or rosewood for color.

jsalk

« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2009, 06:30 pm »
The bamboo obviously doesn't have a deep grain to it (not saying that is bad).  Do you think staining them a darker color will bring out the grain that is there or do you think it will just all and all be a darker speaker and likely cover up the little bit of grain that it has?

Looking at getting some SongTowers soon and really like the idea of using bamboo but I like something more along the line of cherry or rosewood for color.

We use transparent aniline dyes which a very transparent.  Obviously, the darker you make the cabinets, the less grain will show.  But it can still be fairly dark while maintaining the grain.

I am going to shoot some colors on a sample of bamboo in the next day or so and will post pictures of the results.

- Jim

bigbwb

« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2009, 07:49 pm »
Jim,

What was the verdict on the bamboo cabinet in terms of how solid it is compared to the MDF ones and was there any noticeable sonic difference at all?

Just wondering,

Thanks,
Brandon

laserboi

« Reply #32 on: 19 Mar 2009, 04:12 pm »
This Song Tower design is secksy time!!!    :drool:

BoB/335

« Reply #33 on: 29 Mar 2009, 06:27 pm »
Well, I thought I'd bump this one back to the top. There has been some recent discussion elswhere on bamboo cabinets so I thought some newbies to this site might not know that this version exist.
Also to remind Jim about posting some stained bamboo samples. I would be interested to see how bamboo looks in that recent walnut color for those HT2's that look so great.
Also waiting to see if Jim feels there is any value to the sound using bamboo.

grae

« Reply #34 on: 6 Apr 2009, 02:46 am »
Can the bamboo speakers be finished like the other speakers?  Meaning your choice of veneer and such?  I can see how people would be attracted to the idea of speakers being constructed from bamboo but not necessarily like the stock look.

jsalk

« Reply #35 on: 6 Apr 2009, 04:05 am »
Can the bamboo speakers be finished like the other speakers?  Meaning your choice of veneer and such?  I can see how people would be attracted to the idea of speakers being constructed from bamboo but not necessarily like the stock look.

Sure, you can veneer right over the top of bamboo.  It gets a little costly to do it that way, but it certainly can be done.

By the way, I have two colors shot over a sample of bamboo now.  I hope to shoot a few more colors this week and then post the results.   Stay tuned...

- Jim

cop1s

« Reply #36 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:02 am »
I am the lucky owner of the Bamboo and I can tell you that they are way better looking than the pics !!! What a good job , Jim !!!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #37 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:06 am »
I am the lucky owner of the Bamboo and I can tell you that they are way better looking than the pics !!! What a good job , Jim !!!

Lucky Dog!!!  :green:

Got any pics?

Congrats!
Jerry

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #38 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:08 am »

Hey, welcome to Audiocircle. :thumb: Ya'know this would have been 1 awesome 1st post had you included pictures. 8)

Cheers,
Robin

cop1s

« Reply #39 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:43 am »
I'm gonna try to post the pictures on the week-end ...