Overdriven Midwoofers on SongTowers

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Overdriven Midwoofers on SongTowers
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2009, 03:20 pm »
I'll let Jim have the final word, but labor repair costs mount up fast.  It could easily cost $100 to repair all 4 woofers, and you wouldn't be sure what you ended up with. 

TJC712

« Reply #21 on: 31 Dec 2009, 05:31 pm »
Indygreg:

I don't usually poke my nose into these types of others' business but since you are actively seeking advice I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring. You'd be crazy to go the DIY route with your speakers (including 3rd party repairs). Let Jim do what he does best... provide top shelf customer service/counsel.  Being the guy that actually built them in the first place, he is uniquely qualified as far as advising you on the best route to take. While everyone here sincerely has the best of intentions, Jim should be your focal source of guidance. Whatever course of action he recommends will be your best. He won't steer you wrong... period! For what it's worth, that's my holiday advice! Best of luck in resolving your issue and Happy New Year!  Tim

walkern

« Reply #22 on: 31 Dec 2009, 06:19 pm »
I'll throw my 2 cents in here at well, and vote on the side of woofer replacement.  When you over drove the woofers you probably overheated the voice coils, and when that happens the varnish covering the coil wire often bubbles up, which then makes the tolerance in the gap too narrow or tight.  Any subsequent heating of the voice coils (just from normal use) can cause scraping and nasty sounds.  So the noises you were hearing might not have even been related to the ripped loose spiders.

Neil

Nuance

« Reply #23 on: 31 Dec 2009, 06:57 pm »
I'll throw my 2 cents in here at well, and vote on the side of woofer replacement.  When you over drove the woofers you probably overheated the voice coils, and when that happens the varnish covering the coil wire often bubbles up, which then makes the tolerance in the gap too narrow or tight.  Any subsequent heating of the voice coils (just from normal use) can cause scraping and nasty sounds.  So the noises you were hearing might not have even been related to the ripped loose spiders.

Neil

+1.  Great point.  Another vote here for woofer replacement.  If nothing else you'll have peace of mind knowing that everything is in fact back to 100%.

indygreg

« Reply #24 on: 31 Dec 2009, 07:01 pm »
Thank you, everyone who replied.

It sounds like the consensus is woofer replacement.  Since new woofers appear to be more affordable than I thought they would, I have to agree.  Now, I just have to acquire them.

Someone mentioned checking for tweeter damage.  What's the best way to do that?

jsalk

« Reply #25 on: 31 Dec 2009, 07:10 pm »

It sounds like the consensus is woofer replacement.  Since new woofers appear to be more affordable than I thought they would, I have to agree.  Now, I just have to acquire them.

The only reliable way to do it is to take a FR measurement.  But short of that, if there is a problem with the tweeter, you will likely know it.  If the top end is missing or is edgy sounding, it may be work checking them out.  But usually, if they are going to fail, they will either not work at all or the sound quality in the treble will be terrible.  Once you get the woofer situation addressed, just listen to the speakers in a CASUAL manner (if you over-analyze things, you will convince yourself you are hearing all kinds of problems).  If there is a problem with the tweeter, you will know it.

- Jim

rlee8394

« Reply #26 on: 31 Dec 2009, 08:10 pm »
indygreg,

Whatever you decide to do, you need to prevent this problem in the future. Does your amp or receiver have in-line speaker fuses? If so you may want to size them appropriately. Since the ST's are 4 ohms, a 5 amp fast-blow fuse would allow 100 watts. A 4 amp fuse would allow 64 watts. Either is probably plenty as no one ever listens to "continuous power" anyway. If you don't have any type of fuse protection, I'd seriously consider adding them. The ST's are just too nice to abuse. I'm sure you wouldn't want to go through this exercise again.

Ron

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #27 on: 31 Dec 2009, 08:23 pm »

The only reliable way to do it is to take a FR measurement.  But short of that, if there is a problem with the tweeter, you will likely know it.  If the top end is missing or is edgy sounding, it may be work checking them out.  But usually, if they are going to fail, they will either not work at all or the sound quality in the treble will be terrible.  Once you get the woofer situation addressed, just listen to the speakers in a CASUAL manner (if you over-analyze things, you will convince yourself you are hearing all kinds of problems).  If there is a problem with the tweeter, you will know it.

- Jim

I don't believe you mentioned which tweeter you have--the ribbon or dome.  If it's the ribbon, you can tell whether there's damage just by looking at them--if they were overdriven, the ribbon element will be stretched and probably concave, rather than straight and tight.  If you have the 0W2 dome, then, as Jim says, they will probably either work or they won't.  Hopefully, they're working, because those puppies are expensive. 

« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2009, 11:55 pm by DMurphy »

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #28 on: 31 Dec 2009, 10:21 pm »

I did.
Since I am not familiar with the SongTowers do they have dual connections? What I mean by this this is there a set of + - on top for spkr wire conn and a + - on bottom?
If they do then just hook up your amp output to the top + - connection and listen.
Also since you did not say how long full power was going to your spkrs, your cross-over components could be damaged as well.
Did you smell anything after you powered your amp off?

indygreg

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jan 2010, 03:42 am »
Jim sent me 4 replacement woofers.  I installed them without a hitch and everything sounds as I remember it.

Thank you to everyone who replied and helped diagnose the problem.  This is yet another reason to go with the Salk brand.

If there is a lesson to be learned from this, it is that if your pre/pro and/or amp has a volume limiter, you should set it: it just might save you from accidentally blowing out your speakers.

Nuance

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jan 2010, 06:20 am »
That's great news bud!  Enjoy your fully restored SongTowers.   :thumb: