STA 9 Fuse Upgrade

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: STA 9 Fuse Upgrade
« Reply #60 on: 29 Sep 2017, 12:10 pm »
I think you're the one causing me confusion in this case.............................
True, psaudio and electrical engineering don't mix very well.

Genez

« Reply #61 on: 29 Sep 2017, 02:54 pm »
True, psaudio and electrical engineering don't mix very well.

Unless you educate us sir?   What's your point?   You are not contributing anything but razzing from the sidelines...  I am not here to promote another brand of audio,  but you keep pushing in that direction.   I suggest you find some other thread to fill in with your very helpful tips to replace the pseudo helps.

Learn to be helpful.

traver02

« Reply #62 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:18 pm »
Not interested in that.   I listen with an ST10.   Its the AC IEC input fuses that are easy to change and make a nice difference if your system allows for it to be heard.  That's all.   If I had an amp with a power output fuse I would concentrate on that.  I once had a vintage amp set up that way.  Its a shame that this issue was not understood at that time.
I own and ST10 as well.
did you  change the fuse? which one have you tested?
i replaced a lot of fuses in the past. i am not sure i have ever heard a difference ....
now i just invert the phase sometimes.....

Genez

« Reply #63 on: 30 Sep 2017, 01:40 am »
I own and ST10 as well.
did you  change the fuse? which one have you tested?
i replaced a lot of fuses in the past. i am not sure i have ever heard a difference ....
now i just invert the phase sometimes.....

I have tried several fuses.  Not all were expensive.  Each one caused a change in what I heard.  And, all sounded different according the direction they were placed in the holder.  One way does sound right. The other in comparison does not.

Bussman ceramic I believe cost me about 75 cents.  The next one up is the Schurter Audio fuse. I think that cost me only a few bucks.  I am presently using a Hi-Fi Supreme Tuning fuse.  Its lends itself to a fuller, yet detailed sound.  Again, if I were listening with different interconnects,  power cords,  etc... I am not sure how much of a difference I would be hearing.   The speakers I use (and some others I have had) allow me to hear plainly differences.  FWIW...

I believe not everyone has a system set up that will allow for differences to be easily heard.  I believe that is why some folks mock the idea.

kevb

« Reply #64 on: 27 Jan 2019, 01:45 am »
Just took JackD's recommendation and put in an order for the AMR fuses for my equipment including my STA-9.  I will update once I have had a chance to play around with them and form an opinion.

kevb

« Reply #65 on: 27 Jan 2019, 05:39 pm »
I also ordered Littelfuse ceramic and Schurter ceramic.  All coming from overseas, so it could be weeks/months.  :popcorn:

Genez

« Reply #66 on: 27 Jan 2019, 05:58 pm »
While you guys are experimenting with fuses?     

What kind of power cords are you using?  BOTH fuses and cords can make a difference that will surprise/perplex you.  I tried several fuses and have decided on the Hi-Fi Supreme tuning fuse in my ST-10. I heard the improvement and stayed ever since...  And, I did try even more expensive one that I returned. Yet, power cords can be even a bigger difference.  Its all like having a winning team that we put together.

kevb

« Reply #67 on: 28 Jan 2019, 01:32 am »
While you guys are experimenting with fuses?     

What kind of power cords are you using?  BOTH fuses and cords can make a difference that will surprise/perplex you.  I tried several fuses and have decided on the Hi-Fi Supreme tuning fuse in my ST-10. I heard the improvement and stayed ever since...  And, I did try even more expensive one that I returned. Yet, power cords can be even a bigger difference.  Its all like having a winning team that we put together.

I have a fair selection of power cords.  The irony is, I didn't find as much of a difference switching out cords on the NuPrime gear as I had found on other brands.  The one thing I know is that they don't take kindly to thick, stiff and unwieldy cords.  I will try different ones out again once I get the fuses, as certain fuses with certain cords may be "too much of a good thing" in one way or the other.

rustydoglim

« Reply #68 on: 28 Jan 2019, 09:50 pm »
Don't play with expensive power cord or fuse.  Get the Pure AC-4 and you will see the improvement right away.

Genez

« Reply #69 on: 29 Jan 2019, 02:12 am »
Jason ...

Will the Pure AC 4 eliminate the need for using a shielded power cord with say, the ST-10?  The ST-10 came with a power cord with a ferrite choke.  Can a straight cord then be used?

rustydoglim

« Reply #70 on: 29 Jan 2019, 04:31 pm »
Jason ...

Will the Pure AC 4 eliminate the need for using a shielded power cord with say, the ST-10?  The ST-10 came with a power cord with a ferrite choke.  Can a straight cord then be used?

Yes, but it is still better to use the factory supplied power cord with ferrite choke (hmm, may be we should sell this accessory) because the ferrite choke helps to reduce the EMI which radiates out from the power cord. The AC filter (others called it the fancy name of power conditional) does the clean up of the AC, so if the power cord act as antenna to receive EMI from other household or nearby devices, the Pure AC-4 does the filtering before AC is supplied to the 4 outlets.  Between the Pure AC-4 and Nuprime devices, it is still best to use factory supplied power cord.  We are an engineering company, we solve problems that can be measured. Fancy AC power cord with exotic plating and shielding might address minute inteference but we need to eliminate the main source of problem, which comes from common AC circuit in the home.

From Wikipedia:
"Ferrite beads prevent electromagnetic interference(EMI) in two directions: from a device or to a device.[1] A conductive cable acts as an antenna – if the device produces radio frequency energy, this can be transmitted through the cable, which acts as an unintentional radiator. In this case the bead is required for regulatory compliance, to reduce EMI. Conversely, if there are other sources of EMI, such as household appliances, the bead prevents the cable from acting as an antenna and receiving interference from these other devices. This is particularly common on data cables and on medical equipment.[1]"

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #71 on: 29 Jan 2019, 04:38 pm »
Jason, I’m very interested in buying the Pure AC-4 but can’t find a place in the US that sells them. I’ve check the vendors listed on you site and none shown the Pure AC-4 as an available product

Samoyed

« Reply #72 on: 29 Jan 2019, 04:39 pm »
Use John Casler and you’ll get it fast!  If you need his email or phone, send me a pm. He is THE man.

John’s email: bioforce_inc@hotmail.com

He is in LA. No bs, just great service and a truly nice guy.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #73 on: 29 Jan 2019, 05:54 pm »
Thank you!

kevb

« Reply #74 on: 29 Jan 2019, 07:17 pm »
Don't play with expensive power cord or fuse.  Get the Pure AC-4 and you will see the improvement right away.

But $795 vs $1.25.  And the cords I already own, plus I do make my own too.

rustydoglim

« Reply #75 on: 29 Jan 2019, 07:20 pm »
Jason, I’m very interested in buying the Pure AC-4 but can’t find a place in the US that sells them. I’ve check the vendors listed on you site and none shown the Pure AC-4 as an available product

Pure AC-4 is just shipping today  :D

Genez

« Reply #76 on: 29 Jan 2019, 07:55 pm »
But $795 vs $1.25.  And the cords I already own, plus I do make my own too.

Don't give up the cords....   

Improving the quality of AC is one matter. It should be done.

Yet, consider the power cords to be benevolent "tone controls."  For on the right kind of systems power cords do definitely change what is heard. If you have such a system that offers that kind of transparency, changing a power cord will change what is heard. To say it will not, is a confession that one either has bad hearing, or a system that lacks transparency needed.

Playing with certain cords makes everything smooth and sweet in an unrealistic way.... That system will be no good to experiment with fuses and cords as long as certain cords remain influencing the sound.

Good cords will allow for you to hear the benefits of what a good AC conditioner can do.  So, its a win-win when you keep an open mind. One compliments the other. 

A while back while I was listening with a DAC 10 I tried a "More than a Fuse -Platinum."  Everything sounded pleasantly rich and full and in a very realistic detailed way. But, I was forced to remove it.  Why?  My apartment neighbor gave a loud knock on my wall because of the density of the bass it produced.   I said "density."  Not loudness.   Go figure.

There is much to learn. Not everything can be measured because they do not yet know what they need to measure for.

kevb

« Reply #77 on: 30 Jan 2019, 04:26 am »
Don't give up the cords....   

Improving the quality of AC is one matter. It should be done.

Yet, consider the power cords to be benevolent "tone controls."  For on the right kind of systems power cords do definitely change what is heard. If you have such a system that offers that kind of transparency, changing a power cord will change what is heard. To say it will not, is a confession that one either has bad hearing, or a system that lacks transparency needed.

Playing with certain cords makes everything smooth and sweet in an unrealistic way.... That system will be no good to experiment with fuses and cords as long as certain cords remain influencing the sound.

Good cords will allow for you to hear the benefits of what a good AC conditioner can do.  So, its a win-win when you keep an open mind. One compliments the other. 

A while back while I was listening with a DAC 10 I tried a "More than a Fuse -Platinum."  Everything sounded pleasantly rich and full and in a very realistic detailed way. But, I was forced to remove it.  Why?  My apartment neighbor gave a loud knock on my wall because of the density of the bass it produced.   I said "density."  Not loudness.   Go figure.

There is much to learn. Not everything can be measured because they do not yet know what they need to measure for.

Oh, I agree. I have a lot of name and boutique cords here (ESP The Essense, Oyaide, Furutech, Supra Lo-Rad, Wireworld Stratus, PS Audio, etc.).  Those are just some of the cords I own, plus I experiment with my own designs. 

It's all about system wide synergy.  The neighbor knocking is very interesting.....not only could you tell the difference, so could he - and he couldn't even hear it clearly!  So much that is not known about how the way electricity from the wall can affect the propagation of sound waves from the transducers.  But that suggests that something is occurring that is currently not quantifiable.  I believe in science and the scientific method, but I also believe that science itself becomes limiting if one only believes that unless something can be measured with currently existing devices, it is pure placebo effect and not real.   

rustydoglim

« Reply #78 on: 30 Jan 2019, 05:36 pm »
My point is to focus on the primary effect.  Instead of buy 5 very expensive power cord, get a good AC filter and rely on the factory cord. You might find that once you have a good AC filter, the cord doesn't matter anymore.
By the way, I am curious some of you should already have top of the line power conditional , so perhaps I get you a loaner Pure AC-4 to compare.
Or those of you with expensive AC cord but no power conditional.

Genez

« Reply #79 on: 30 Jan 2019, 06:14 pm »
My point is to focus on the primary effect.  Instead of buy 5 very expensive power cord, get a good AC filter and rely on the factory cord. You might find that once you have a good AC filter, the cord doesn't matter anymore.

The factory cord does not provide the detail needed to hear all that can be gained.;  A good audiophile power cord should make the AC filter's benefits more evident.  I have a very high quality AC conditioner. One I could not afford if I did not find one used for sale.  Its one of the very best.  I hear power cord changes and fuse changes.... and music with clarity. 

Using stock cords that typically comes with equipment homogenizes the sound. It might be pleasant in a dulling respect as long as one has no idea what potential there is in what can be obtained. 

Some engineers have a hard time with this side of audio because its not known what to measure for.  And,  while using stock cords you could most likely switch fuses and be not able to hear any differences because the stock power cords blur what is heard.

By the way, I am curious some of you should already have top of the line power conditional , so perhaps I get you a loaner Pure AC-4 to compare.
Or those of you with expensive AC cord but no power conditional.

Since you mentioned it.  This is what I have..    https://audiorevelation.com/products/audience-adept-response-ar6-power-conditioner/

I was also able to hear differences with cords and fuses while using a Furman AC conditioner.