Adventures w/ Alpair 6M, 12, and MiniDsp

wushuliu

Re: Adventures w/ Alpair 6M, 12, and MiniDsp
« Reply #60 on: 12 May 2011, 08:51 pm »
Got some Alpair 6Ps yesterday. Like 'em already. I've been reluctant to try them out of fear they would be too bright, too much top end energy that I'm sensitive to, but so far so good. I think my fear is really about the metal cones and the slight metallic 'halo' at those upper frequencies I've experienced. The EL70s and A6P do not share that characteristic. A6P out the box is like a more refined EL70. Lot more dynamic that I expected, Mark was right about percussion having a lot of snap. Not as 'smooth' as the Gen1 A6 but cleaner with greater depth and low level info, with just a few hours on it no less. Pretty excited about these little guys. I think I'll stick to Mark's paper stuff from now on, compared to the metal drivers the papers just come off as more natural.

wushuliu

« Reply #61 on: 16 Jun 2011, 04:40 am »
Wow, only a month since I've had these? Feels like so much longer... Alpair 6Ps are a perfect combination of what I like best about the EL70 and Gen 1 A6, and better than either (well EL70 is apples to oranges really). They break in reeaaaal nice. Only ~100hrs on them at this point, too. Now that I am sold on their performance and active setup in general I finally took some time to take care of some boring but necessary stuff like improving the RS225 woofer enclosures and replacing the foam and polyfill in the 6p enclosures with Ultratouch from CSS. Does a hell of a better job. So much more low-level information and cleaner, more natural delivery. I should have dealt with that stuff earlier but only so much time in the day and it's not very exciting. Now that's all squared away, I feel ready to finally try out the measurement gear.

Raiderone

« Reply #62 on: 18 Jun 2011, 08:20 pm »
Can the 6p be enjoyably listened to without the RS225?  Or solo means no bass?  Thanks.

wushuliu

« Reply #63 on: 18 Jun 2011, 09:46 pm »
Can the 6p be enjoyably listened to without the RS225?  Or solo means no bass?  Thanks.

It goes reasonably low for it's size but the 6p by itself would be better used nearfield like desktop setup, unless you choose an enclosure designed to maximize performance like those available on Planet10. Even then there's only so much a 3" driver can do.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #64 on: 18 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm »
Except maybe for the Audience A3, A6P is probably the LF extension leader amoungst 3" drivers.

dave