Checking in...

electricbear

Re: Checking in...
« Reply #20 on: 3 May 2020, 09:42 pm »
Hi guys,
                    all is quiet down here in Tampa. Glad to hear everyone is safe and healthy.
I've been working in isolation safe in my office. We are classed as an essential business so I've been heading out to work everyday.
No where to go in the evenings so plenty of beer is being consumed out on the lanai. The outdoor audio system has been getting a workout as of late.
There is a chance I'll be up in the Lou in September I'll let you know closer to the time. It would be good to catch up with you all if the opportunity presents itself.

Meantime, stay safe and keep that vinyl spinning.

Tim

EvanF

• audio repair guy
« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2020, 06:11 am »
I don't post often but here i am now... just now getting my setup to the best it's been and I'm eager to get back in the audiophile community. Oh, and here's my Krell and Kefs  :D

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #22 on: 26 Jun 2020, 01:40 pm »
I am still here and breathing.  Since the birth of our first grandchild in November 2019, taking care of him has been pretty much a full time job.  Both the daughter and son-in-law are in the medical field, so when both of them are doing 12 hour shifts on the same day it's pick up the boy at 5:30AM and that's the day until 6PM or 8PM or whenever.  My daughter has two more days to go in her 3 year residency and doesn't need to show up for work until September, however, she needs to study for board exams at the end of August, so more of the same, but with a lot more flexibility on the hours!

I look forward to seeing you guys again!

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2020, 12:23 am »
Well, I've been a busy boy!  Nowhere near Ken level, but since COVID hit....

......As many of you know, I took a part time Sales Gorilla position over at Alpha Tech, trying to help Zaw downsize his hoard.

The store was forced to move, and the closing for the move coincided with the COVID shutdown of the entire city, which worked out well for us.  My friend Rick and I (along with Zaw and the crew) spent about 4 weeks clearing, tossing, moving, sorting, and dealing with his 20 year accumulation at the store, along with prepping the new place, moving in, getting set up, etc.

With the legendary Mike Missel as the head tech now, things are humming along nicely, and people's stuff is getting fixed and out the door!

With the advent of COVID, all of my work with the Symphony and their recording engineer, along with my corporate AV work evaporated, so I went full time at Alpha, and will remain there until the summer is over, if not further.

In terms of audio, I've been making big moves!

I turned loose an entire Crown stack (SL2, FM2, PL4, all in wood cases), and my McIntosh C26/2105 combo, ADS L/1290s, Legacy Audio Monitors, and some other goodies.  Those funds have helped pay off my credit cards, acquire more gear I'll actually USE, and get some top level tube stuff fixed up:

I got my McIntosh MC-30 monoblocks recapped and refurbished by the highly talented Alex Martin of Iowa:

I snagged myself a couple more nice turntables (because I need several more holes in the head):

A Fairchild 412 with model 280 transcription arm (seller's pic):

An original Technics SP-10 with Audio Technica AT1005 tonearm:

AND....a Loricraft PRC3 Record Cleaning Machine!

Also, while out pickin' with Zaw one weekend, I snagged myself what may be the first ever ElectroVoice Patrician IV (they were introduced in 1954, as far as I understand, and this one has the inner horn nailed in, and other prototype/early production signs).  I got it up off the church dais, into my Suburban, out of my Suburban, and into my living room all alone-I thought I was going to collapse from heatstroke loading that sucker!  I was able to unload a couple days later when it was cooler (and at night!)

Living Room Mono system, here I come!  My other Patrician (yes, there is ANOTHER) is too ugly for living room placement.

I also paid a visit to our local GAS woodworker extraordinaire, Gabe, and saw the beautiful progress he's making on my Russco Studio Pro B plinths!

And just two days ago, I stumbled into two boxes of LaserDiscs from the early years of the LD, in the home of a 47 year employee of Magnavox corporation, was given them, and amongst the contents was this sealed copy of the Beatles Let It Be-the documentary!

Today was my first day back as an audio engineer since March, and the Pan Galactic Team (another coworker and I) recorded audio for video of local talented musicians playing beautiful chamber music at The Sheldon with Joe Mason (the DJ from KSHE and KSD) serving as producer!  Joe and I are friends, and it was great to actually get to work together on a shoot!  And, it was an absolute pleasure to enjoy some live music again.  We audiophiles are so obsessed with the recreation of a "live" sensation, or at least linear reproduction of what's on the disc/tape/bitstream, that we often forget just how engaging The Real Thing can be!

I hope all you guys and gals are well!  I'm looking forward to a gathering sometime when it's a bit safer to hobnob with those likeminded individuals whom I count as friends!
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2020, 01:36 pm by vinyldavid »

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jul 2020, 06:32 pm »
Hey all!

Wow you have been busy, David.

Congrats on the new grandchild Ken!

Somehow it seems like the weeks have actually been going faster since all this Covid craziness started. I'm not sure how, I guess we've just been spending more of our free time working on projects around the house. And spending more time listening to music of course!

I finally pulled the trigger on a couple of Schiity DACs...a Modi Multibit and their new Modius. Trying to decide which I like better (I think the Modius) and if I prefer one with my headphones or speakers. But the Modius is really an amazing achievement for a $200 American-made DAC with both balanced and SE outputs IMO. It sounds really excellent and I highly recommend it. The Modi Multibit is no slouch either, and I could see some people preferring the Modi MB over the Modius.

I'm also getting together some parts to finally restore my Fisher 500c and get some tubes into my speaker setup. Then I'll be trying to decide what direction to go with upgrading my speakers later in the year.

I'm afraid it may still be several months (if not another year) before it's safe to, but I'm looking forward to the time when we can get together for a gathering of audio nerds again.

Stay safe and healthy all.
-Kevin
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2020, 07:51 pm by pinkfloyd4ever »