Speaker Cable Recommendations for TS2's

tran844

« on: 15 Apr 2004, 12:34 am »
:? Need help on choosing the right speaker for the TS2's. This is my first set of full range. Currently using ASL monos @25wpc, kt88's, Radii tube preamp and Cobalt Speaker cables. Prefer recommendations that do not require a mortgage. Have heard Mapleshades could be possible. Appreciate the help

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2004, 10:06 am »
Many tube/single driver fans (myself included) use CAT5 or CAT6.  These are category 5 or 6 cables used in the data/communications industry.  If you have a friend in the computer/phone business, you'll have a free source.  The cabling comes in multiple twisted pairings, single or multiple strand, and in room or plenum rated.  The single strand/plenum rated is best (sounds better and easier to work with).  Some use multiple pairings per run, but I just use a single pair per speaker.  They are 24 gauge, so try to keep the runs under 10 feet.  

I know that this all sounds crazy, but they work and cost little to nothing to try.  I got in on a cryo'd single strand plenum rated CAT5 group buy last year and they blew away my Kimber Kable 4TC cables.  More bass, more mid/treble detail with a relaxed sound that lets you hear farther into the recording.  The multiple strand in-room I started with had less bass and efficiency than the Kimber Kable, but I preferred them with their more mid/treble detail and relaxed sound.

BTW, real men don't need no stinking spades or banana plugs (and they'd be a real pain to connect to these tiny wires).

Bwanagreg

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2004, 02:22 pm »
I don't know of you saw the other post in this forum regarding cables for the Omegas, but here is Louis' comment about thinner guage cables:

Your right I've tried all kinds of cables myself and thinner guage sounds better. I get a lot of feedback from customers and reviewers who say the same. Right now I have a pair of Grande 8s at vacuum tube valley for review and David the reviewer e-mailed me that 24awg solid core copper is working out the best. The cat 5 is like this with more conductors. I also wired a pair of speakers for a local customer with solid core silver Homegrown cables and these sound great. The thin gauge cables just seem to have great synergy with the speakers. They sound faster and much more lively.

Whatever you do, don't assume that A) cables that sound great on speaker X will sound great on the Omegas (synergy is especially important with single-drivers I think), and B) the more you spend the better it will sound. The magnet wire and Cat5 solutions are cheap, and Mapleshades (that's what I ended up with) are not very expensive either.

superdow

link to site that sells cryo'd cat5
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2004, 03:03 am »
http://www.takefiveaudio.com/belden_cat5_plenum.htm

you might try this  site for some cryo'd cat5

I know that jlm mentioned that it was hard to come by

i'm not affiliated with the site....and have not purchased anything from them.

Pops

How do you terminate CAT-5?
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2004, 10:56 am »
:?:

Do you just strip some off the ends, twist, and pop all eight into a bannana plug?  That would seemingly work?

How is CAT-5 vs. a 12 guage stranded wire, as far as power handling?

Brad

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2004, 03:22 pm »
Pops,

With a single driver speaker, I've found that using only 1 pair of the CAT5 cable sounds the best.
Just select one of the colors, strip a + and a - at each end, and connect.
I used just bare wire.

I've heard that cryo treatment helps the sound, but haven't gotten to try it for myself yet.

I haven't had any issues with power handling and I'm running a 100w digital amp into the Super3's.