Super Five Break IN

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Super Five Break IN
« Reply #20 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:06 am »
I have run the Super 5 Monitors for close to two years, sometimes with the Deep Hemp sub, and sometimes without.  My two favourite amps to run with these speakers are the Decware SE84 basic and Select, and the 20w/ch Ideal Innovations Elite 80 push pull.  With the 2 w/ch Decwares I prefer to run the sub, though without it the sound is still full.  With the Elite 80, the sub is not needed in that the bass is such that when a friend was listening to them, repeatedly asked if the sub was on.  Comparing the sound of the Super 5s with the Decware or Ideal, the Decware has that smooth, etherial, warm sound that good SETs are famous for, and the Ideal is slightly cooler, drier, but punchier in the bottom end. Both are lightning fast and both have utterly incredible soundstages with layers of detail.  With these two amps the Super 5s are the reference I use for all other gear, and to this day the only speaker that can get near the Super 5s are other Omegas. 

As far as the desktop goes, the Super 3i with the basic Decware SE84 is my reference.  If your computer is your work, have fun getting any done if you have this combo playing.

Rob

Louis O

« Reply #21 on: 10 Apr 2011, 09:29 pm »
Hi Rob,

Great news and I should look into getting the Decware amp again. Had one a long time ago. You also mention how great the Hoyt type 1/decware combo is. This is awesome news. The five series does need the long break in period as we all know. I wish it were faster.

Thanks again,
Louis

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 13 Apr 2011, 04:21 am »
Hi Louis,

All the 4-1/2" Omegas work beautifully with either the Decware SE84c+, or the SE84ZS, but the Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 with it's 97db efficiency really brings this little gem of an amp out of it's corner.  Huge deep sound stage and well focused, and although a good sub will help any speaker, you will never be left hankering for a sub with this combo (I like the HBs better without the bass plug).  This speaker is the flea powered amp owner's dream.  Most speakers with this efficiency are so expensive.  Also, if you have solid 24" stands and don't want to invest in 18"- 20" stands for your HBs, they work beautifully on 24".  Also, the HBs sound great right out of the box.

Rob

Frank I

« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2011, 01:23 pm »
Louis as you know I love my Super 5 with my Decware taboo and CSP-2 which is 6W. I want to know if they will handle my vintage pioneer SX980 at 80W without any issues.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #24 on: 29 Apr 2011, 03:38 am »
Frank
Your Super 5 are a dream speaker that just keep getting better and better. Throw any source at them and get blown away.
Maybe the most positively accurate speaker I have ever heard.
Louis is the man .

Golden ears.

Frank I

« Reply #25 on: 29 Apr 2011, 03:43 am »
No Tom your theman for selling them to me. I just want to make sure that the 80w wont hurt them. I sent you an  email if you have my number still give me a holler would love to chat some and see how you did with the headphones. I went through every flagship and kept two. I had the LCD2,T1<HE6, HD800 the Beyer T1 and D7000. The two lerft standing the hE6 an dDenon D7000

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2011, 05:40 am »
Louis as you know I love my Super 5 with my Decware taboo and CSP-2 which is 6W. I want to know if they will handle my vintage pioneer SX980 at 80W without any issues.

80W RMS will probably tear them to pieces, but you can still try the amp, it's pretty easy to hear when you're close to the limit... just don't turn the volume knob up too much. I tried out a 200W amp on mine some years ago.