Griffen Powerwave Amp and Omega TS-1's

albee

« Reply #20 on: 10 Mar 2004, 04:09 am »
WWWOOOOOOOOWWW!

Got my Powerwave today.  Am I impressed?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8838.msg75245#75245

Bwanagreg

« Reply #21 on: 10 Mar 2004, 05:02 pm »
This amp has been as much of a revelation to me as the first time I heard tube equipment, not so much because because it sounds better (though it does in some areas), but that it sounds so similar for so little money.

Louis O

« Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2004, 01:53 pm »
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the great comments on the powerwave.
It's amazing that this little amp sounds so good. I put in an order to find out they were back ordered and I hope I to get it soon. At this point i think I will get 2 of them to biamp the BPCs.

Thanks again,
Louis

Bwanagreg

« Reply #23 on: 29 Mar 2004, 03:20 am »
Ed Schilling discovers the Pwave/Fostex synergy:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=9298

I never really thought I was crazy...  :P

Louis O

« Reply #24 on: 29 Mar 2004, 02:18 pm »
Hi Greg,

Great news. I should be getting mine on Wednesday, just in time for the Montreal show. I'll set it up with the Minimax pre amp. I couldn't beleive I had to wait till the 27th from ecost to ship out.

Can't wait top get it.

Thanks again,
Louis

Bwanagreg

« Reply #25 on: 29 Mar 2004, 03:38 pm »
Yeah Louis, I think AC is causing a run on these little guys  :mrgreen: .

Be sure to plug the Pwave in and leave it on for as long as you can before the show. The biggest breakin improvement came within a day, but I think it is continuing to get better after several weeks. I've been told by others that the Carver Tripath improved over the first several months of breakin. And you thought only Fostex drivers needed lots of hours to sound their best. :lol:

Also check out Wayne's suggestions for a better power supply and case improvements here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8849&start=20

I'll be curious to hear your impressions, especially compared with the SET's and other tube amps you've had the opportunity to hear with your speakers. The best part is this is only a taste of what is to come with this technology.

Louis O

« Reply #26 on: 1 Apr 2004, 01:09 am »
Hi Greg,

I got it today finally. I'm sure they were hit pretty hard with demand on these. The price is unbelievable. I will use your advise and burn it in on the first day of the show. I can't believe how small the amp is. It came packed well and I can't wait to hear what it can do. I would have tried it today, but I was swamped packing up everything for the show. I look forward to turning some heads with this amp. I will take pics and post them when I get back. I wish I had more time to burn it in, but I will do my best.

Thanks for the link and I will check it out. If all goes well I may make a nice case for them. I'll definetly post my impressions of it.

Thanks again and talk to you when I return,
Louis

Bwanagreg

« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2004, 06:38 pm »
I've been burning the Powerwave in for two months now (it stays plugged in 24/7) , and it is unbelievably smooth sounding at this point. I no longer use my AMC 2030s tube amp - I like the Pwave that much.  

I'm waiting on a modified Pwave (battery power supply, new case, and Bybees) from Wayne at Boulder cable, but I could live with the stock version pretty easily.

Anyone else still driving their Omegas with a Pwave?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #28 on: 11 May 2004, 01:29 am »
Greg:

I just read your last post and searched the Boulder site and forum and couldn't find anything on Wayne offering a package to upgrade the PW.  

Could you provide details and indicate if he also offers a bridged version with synergistic volume control?

thanks

Bwanagreg

« Reply #29 on: 11 May 2004, 12:49 pm »
I don't know if Wayne has a any plans to offer mods for the Pwave (or the Tripath eval boards) after mine is done. My amp is being done on an experimental basis so the details are subject to change as Wayne gets into it. He is going to try to create a battery power supply for the amp - that would likely be the most significant improvement. As for the volume control, that idea has been scrapped given the feedback from Ed Schilling that the Pwave doesn't work well with a totally passive preamp (Ed ended up with a buffered design).  I don't think Wayne has time to go that route, and I don't really need anything other than a straight amp anyway. I haven't asked about bridging either.

I will post details and comments when the project is done. I told Wayne I was not in a hurry and he is very busy, so I don't have a ETA yet.

The original reason for me posting in this forum stands. I think there is an opportunity to co-market small inexpensive modded or custom-built Tripath amps with Louis' speakers. The synergy is amazing and the total system price/performance ratio would be hard to beat.

Louis O

« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2004, 12:08 pm »
Hi Greg,

Sorry for the late replies.

I think this amp is very good stock and I can only imagine how it would sound after Wayne gets done with it. Your right about the synergy and I would be very interested in working out a package of some sort.

I got news from my distributor in England and he is building a 50 or 100 watt version of the amp. He will be using the Tripath with battery power supply and transformer based volume control. He said the prototype sounded better than most amps he has heard.

Thanks,
Louis