Omega Newbie Questions (Amps, Speaker Cable)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Omega Newbie Questions (Amps, Speaker Cable)
« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2010, 04:12 am »
Is anyone here running a low power amp (2-3 wpc) w/the 5s or Alnico 6s?? I really like the Decware Zen Select but am concerned w/the 93 db sensativity. Does having no crossover allow the speaker to play louder than it's rated sensativity? My current speakers are rated about 92-93 db w/ a coil on the 2X5" carbon fiber drivers and a cap on the tweet and a Zen will clip at 90db peaks @ 6' in my room. I sure would like another 6db at least.

Thanks for sharing all the wisdom around here.

~Lary

It would work well with some music at lower volumes, but you'd be limiting yourself, IMO. I think this amp would be better suited:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm

I will warn you I'm biased, as I chose a EL34 SET for my 4.5" XRS that I DIY'ed from a Simple SE PCB. I've compared it to quite a few other single driver and conventional systems, and am convinced it's the right system for me unless my financial situation makes a quantum leap somehow.

If you mostly listen to simple music at low volumes and being able to play rock, electronic, etc. music at moderate volumes isn't a priority then a small amp might be the way to go, but then I'd look at 2a3s or 45s instead of el84s.

With 93 dB speakers, at 1 watt you have 93 dB (at 1m), 2W = 96dB, 4W = 99 dB, 8W = 102 dB. You'll get close to the same dB levels at your listening position (farther back, but 2 speakers + room reinforcement). It's going to take ~ 8 watts to get the volume I desire. Sometimes it would be nice if it could play even louder, but that's all you get out of 2 4.5" drivers. Pretty decent actually... can't wait for the alnico 4.5s.  :wink:

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
Re: Omega Newbie Questions (Amps, Speaker Cable)
« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2010, 08:30 pm »
Hey all,

Just another vote for a little more current with the Super Alnico's. I have had the Almarro in for a trial, and while I loved its sound signature, it just did not seem to have enough steam to really drive the original hemps. I have found the Alnicos to need even more juice to properly drive them.

I am making music these days with a big ol' 845 SE amp and the sound is glorious, but I will have to say that I still love the EL84 push-pull sound of my old Eico as well. Some time ago I had the Almarro with the KT88 tubes in for a try and it was a really good match for the old hemps, so it probably sounds terrific with the Alnico's too.

I'll bet that Melody 2A3 PP amp really sounds wonderful--I've heard good things about it. However, if someone has a couple of K's lying around unused, my guess is that AC member JonL's Vac Ren30/30 MKII which is currently up for firesale would be a fantastic combo. It is a 300B PP amp with a huge-glowing-dynamic sound. I owned the same amp for several years and now wish I had not sold it. (Can't keep 'em all I'm afraid!)

Just my .02 stock portfolio...

Good luck with the Super's...
gb