Tell us what Santa Brought You...

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Tell us what Santa Brought You...
« on: 20 Dec 2008, 04:05 am »
Ok, we might as well start this one a little early.  We all would like to know what audio-related goodies that Santa, your better half, or you yourself got you for the holidays.  Pictures would be great if you can but they aren't required.

--Jerome

Adriel

Re: Tell us what Santa Brought You...
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2008, 06:07 am »
When Christmas comes, I'll have some CDs of a new type of
music, called "jazz" or something. I discovered that style
yesterday, when I went looking for something that
works for 12am, 1am, 2am late nights.

Most of my current music collection, just doesn't work
when I'm in zombie sleep deprived state. I have to
credit Omega gear and tubes for drawing me
toward a more relaxed style of listening.

And for acircle people throwing jazz discs left and right
like it's going out of style, or some kind of weapon.
I had to give it another chance.

I don't like to try to brag about this and that nonsense though,
since I'm just a noob.

But after 8 years of solid state, I'm starting to learn
what the subtle differences are.

First "real tubes" I ever tried:

Lights on pic

Equip pic

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2008, 06:31 am »
Sweet!  Noob or not...it ain't bragin', it's sharin'  8)

Aside from listening to my own rig, I really dig seeing what other folks are enjoying.  It's a community thing as far as I'm concerned.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2008, 02:45 pm by jsaliga »

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2008, 03:03 pm »
This Christmas will be a good one for my family thanks to an unexpected third quarter bonus.  Given the economy it will probably be the last bonus I see for a while, so Santa came a little early and was a extra-active this year with gift giving.  :xmas:

After taking care of gifts for everyone else I found this Benz Micro Wood M2 cartridge on Audiogon.  I have been wanting to upgrade my Benz Micro Glider, which itself is a very nice MC cartridge.  Still, I have been searching Audiogon from time to time looking for a new or very low hour used Wood M2 or Copper M2 at a bargain price.  For a few moments I was actually considering an upgrade to a Benz Ruby M2 and there was a brand new one on Agon for $1,395.  I was tempted but eventually came to my senses after seeing this Wood M2 that had only a few hours of use for a terrific and much more sane price, so I snapped it up.  It sounds great.  Perhaps a tad more open in the mids and highs and overall it seems to be a bit more resolving, at least with some of the 45 RPM audophile vinyl I have tried it with. 

Santa also left a few 45 RPM audiophile LPs to try out with the new Benz cartridge:

That copy of Blues in Orbit is on 4 single-sided 45 RPM 180g long-players.  The Kenny Drew album is from Music Matters and is part of its Blue Note reissue series, mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at Acoustech Mastering on two 180g 45 RPM LPs.  Whistle Stop is from Analogue Productions as part of its Blue Note series, also mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman on two 45 RPM LPs.  Very nice!

--Jerome

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2008, 04:15 pm »
One of my favorites:

2008 two CD deluxe edition of the 1978 album, which was a deeply personal chronicle of his divorce from Anna Gordy. Though at the time it received mixed reviews, the album has since become recognized as a highly influential masterpiece of romantic anguish. Both Rolling Stone and Mojo magazines recently named it one of the best albums of all time. This expanded edition features the remastered original album, plus a complete alternate version of it featuring demo vocals and newly discovered instrumentation. For this unique project, the alternate version was created by a group of select artists and producers, who were asked not to overdub anything but to work only with the original multi-track session reels. These gentlemen delivered a breathtaking new vision of what Marvin put on tape. Their mixes illuminate the sketchbooks that produced a masterpiece. A bonus track rounds out each disc: This extraordinary collection is housed in a deluxe digipak with a 28-page booklet, packed with memorabilia, full lyrics, an essay by Gaye biographer David Ritz, and sidebar essays on the controversial cover and the creation of this edition.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2008, 04:40 pm »
Why is this question in the Omega circle and not in a general circle?

1) Because this is the only forum on AC that I actively post to, and I don't care to expand my participation on Audio Circle.  I know most of the regulars here, who are also Omega customers, and I am here as an Omega customer myself.  It's a community thing.  2) I posted this thread with the unstated intent for members to tell us about a) audio gifts that they can enjoy on their Omega speakers or b) the set of Omega speakers that they just got for Christmas. :)

--Jerome

TerryO

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2008, 06:56 pm »
Why is this question in the Omega circle and not in a general circle?

1) Because this is the only forum on AC that I actively post to, and I don't care to expand my participation on Audio Circle.  I know most of the regulars here, who are also Omega customers, and I am here as an Omega customer myself.  It's a community thing.  2) I posted this thread with the unstated intent for members to tell us about a) audio gifts that they can enjoy on their Omega speakers or b) the set of Omega speakers that they just got for Christmas. :)

--Jerome

I'm not a regular poster here, so my comments may be taken with a grain of salt, but here in Washington State, Christmas is celebrated on the 25th of December. Unless those of you in Omega-land are in an alternative universe, you've been very naughty indeed for peeking at your presents before Santa arrives.

At least MY socking won't be filled with chucks of coal!
I think it's the ultimate act of Hubris to even imagine that you can fool Santa Claus, he is keeping a list you know...

Best Regards,
The well behaved and very nice: TerryO

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2008, 09:49 pm »
Look, there is just no need to crap all over this thread.  :scratch: 

So I will thank you to either post replies that are consistent with the spirit in which this thread was started or don't post at all.

Happy holidays.

--Jerome

BillB

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2008, 09:54 pm »
A Buffalo DAC board and a Sony BDP-350.  :thumb:

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2008, 10:01 pm »
Last night I picked up the 4 Danny Richie/Brian Ding designed subwoofers that I commissioned Christof to build in his Dymaxion cabinets.  These are servo subs.  I hope to get pictures up soon. Here is one taken as a cabinet was being built.

To all the Omega family, I hope 2009 treats you better than 2008  :thumb:

TerryO

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2008, 11:22 pm »
Look, there is just no need to crap all over this thread.  :scratch: 

Oh my. Did I?

So I will thank you to either post replies that are consistent with the spirit in which this thread was started or don't post at all.

The "spirit" of this thread is Santa, or at least the Thread Header would lead one to believe.

Happy holidays.

--Jerome

In the spirit of the Holiday Season, I also wish you the same.

Best Regards,
TerryO

el dub

« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec 2008, 11:31 pm »
I guess the joke is on us.

lw

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2008, 12:06 am »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2008, 02:18 am by jsaliga »

Adriel

« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2008, 08:24 am »
I forgot to add, another acircle member sold an ack dack to me a couple days ago.

I like minimal designs, Omega, etc. That's why I've been rocking scott nixon dac
for the past four years, as it is no output opamp, straight out from the dac pin.

However that philosophy severely restricts my choices, so I guess for
Christmas I'll be finding out how far I will venture away from pure
minimalism.

el dub

« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2008, 04:55 pm »
On the 13th day of christmas
my true love brought to me,
a pesky, humbug troll.......

Luckily we were able to turn the volume up on da hi-fi stereo rig and drown out the noise and ploys.
(But that trolly-odor persists.)  :roll:

Happy holidaze to the omega crew.  8)

lw

Eadron

« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2008, 09:49 am »
Hi,

perhaps Santa will bring me new 8" Alnico XRSes  :drool:..well, I really don't know whether I have been nice enough or not  :o..

Jouni

ZLS

« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2008, 11:39 am »
    If not Santa (Same Circus Different Tent) what I have received this year is;

1. The Omega Speaker Circle where owners of Omega Speakers have shared their generosity of spirit and knowledge.  Jerome, we soar with the eagles, don't let the turkeys on the ground get you down!

2. Louis Chochos, who has never been anything but helpful and gracious as he gently explained to me that my next great idea for Omega Speakers would not be possible in as much it defied both the laws of physics and gravity!

3. Ultimate Bit Platinum CD treatment that actually makes my CD's sound better. 

I wish for everybody here a Happy Holidays, and if 2008 was not a great year we at least had our Omega Speakers that allowed the music to come through and soothe our  respective souls

Louis O

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2008, 12:08 am »
Hi Jerome, ZLS, Jouni, el dub, Adriel, Marbles, BillB, launche

Many thanks for the great thread and I'm looking forward to my Dyna MK3s. They are finally done and got the polished chassis to boot.

I like this thread and we are all family here.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Thanks again,
Louis

jeangiono

• Puget Sound
« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2008, 12:40 am »
Not certain that I'd qualify under Santa's goodness test, I decided to treat myself to some etymotic hf2 headphones.  Sound pretty good with my iphone, but I'd much rather have a pair of the Super 6's!!!!!

Happy Holidays to you all.

Wm

Louis O

« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2008, 12:31 am »
Hi Wm,

I heard they are great cans and looking to extend the sale for the 6's a while.

Hi Marbles,

Thanks and they are new versions from Dynakits. Really great value and sound.

Also looking forward to my Type 4 engine kit from Raby, Weber Carbs and Tangerine exhaust. This is for the gearhead in me.

Thanks,
Louis