Omega Alnico Monitor

Dsaldivar

Omega Alnico Monitor
« on: 22 Feb 2016, 06:48 pm »
Somebody please explain to me what just happened last night.

I decided to sell my Omega Alnico monitors because quite frankly, I was not happy at all with them. I changed my Dynavector 20 XL2 for a Denon 301 cartridge.  All of the sudden, everything changed for good.  The speakers sound like if it were in another system. Everything is great now. I am canceling my post, the problem is I do not know how.
Great speakers, good that I bought them before the price increase.  By the way excellent craftsmanship by Mr. Chochos, the speakers look beautiful.

Dan  :P

Folsom

Re: Omega Alnico Monitor
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2016, 07:23 pm »
You know the needles are only good for about 1000hrs, ya?

MarkR7

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2016, 07:44 pm »
Dan, congrats on having the patience and sticking with them while you go thru break-in, positioning, trying out various combinations of gear and accessories.  They will only get better from here on out as you learn to work them to get the best of their sonic capabilities out into your room and ears.

As you are hearing, you will be highly rewarded! Well done!

Dsaldivar

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2016, 08:11 pm »
Folsom,

the Dynavector is almost new.  I had similar issues with cd's, there was a sudden change for good.  It's like something finally fell into place. Everything is good now.  IMO the trial period for these speakers should be at least two months.

Dan

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2016, 08:12 pm »
Dan,

What are you using for amplifier and source?

jorgen

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2016, 09:14 pm »
I find it rather weird. They shouldn't change like that over the night. Sure nothing wrong with cartridge you used earlier? Or some creative connections or something?

audiomaniac

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2016, 11:33 pm »
To cancel your ad, just edit it to say that they are off the market. It usually helps to delete your asking price and and make a note in the title that they are no longer for sale. No stress, as you can always change your mind down the road.

Funny, I was just looking at your ad. You may have saved me some money.

Somebody please explain to me what just happened last night.

I decided to sell my Omega Alnico monitors because quite frankly, I was not happy at all with them. I changed my Dynavector 20 XL2 for a Denon 301 cartridge.  All of the sudden, everything changed for good.  The speakers sound like if it were in another system. Everything is great now. I am canceling my post, the problem is I do not know how.
Great speakers, good that I bought them before the price increase.  By the way excellent craftsmanship by Mr. Chochos, the speakers look beautiful.

Dan  :P

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2016, 11:39 pm »
Good to hear! Omegas are very revealing, they are really not a great choice for low end electronics and sources (not saying yours are!) because they won't mask or smooth out any issues. When you get the system feeding them down their potential is extremely high, these are in the league of Feastrex, AER, Voxativ, etc... the price is just a lot lower. :)

Dsaldivar

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2016, 04:16 am »
CR,
I am using a Music cal Paradise 301 MK3, 6 w/c.
A plinius phono stage, Technics 1200 turntable with Denon 301 cartridge.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2016, 05:31 am »
I would look into upgrading your amp.  The rest of your system has much potential you're not likely getting the benefit from.  :thumb:

roscoe65

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2016, 01:59 pm »
I will second Canada Rob's recommendation.  You are far better off with a nice low power solid state (or chip) amp than a cheap tube amp.  Folsom's 8116 amp comes to mind. 

I personally feel that with the Omega Alnico speakers the entry point for non-DIY tube amp is around $1k.  However, if you want to do a little kit-building yourself, the DIYtube ST-35 from Triode Electronics for $600 to $700.  It has enough sensitivity to go straight from a DAC and has about 15 WPC.

If you look on the resale sites, you can find great deals as well.  A rebuilt EICO HF-81 makes for a great match with high sensitivity speakers.

mick wolfe

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2016, 03:49 pm »
I have to agree with Rob and Roscoe on the amp issue. At a shade over 1K, a Bob Latino ST 70 absolutely rocks on the Super 3i's. I can only imagine it would do the same on the Alnico's. Doesn't hurt to have 40 tube watts on hand. Caveat being it's a basic amp and not an integrated, but a vol. pot can be added if only one source is in play.

Jazzaudio

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2016, 06:21 am »
Before you dump the amp swap in KT88 output tubes and report back!! I have that amp...night and day if you have the original Shuguang 6J8P input tubes and anything other the KT88 outputs.  I have the metal RCA 6SH7 inputs and re-issue Gold Lion KT88s.  I bought mine used locally and had the seller swap in a pair of cheap Sovtek KT88s in place the standard 6L6 (Chinese brand) during the listening test. I'd suggest, against common wisdom, swapping the outputs before the inputs. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2016, 07:38 am »
Hate to sound boring, but one of the most proven amps with Omegas is any vintage of the Decware SE84.  The current SE84UFO at a grand is a killer deal, and contrary to popular belief among those who have never heard one, it has plenty of power to drive any current Omega.  It won't go to party volumes, but for me it will go louder than is comfortable.  The low level dynamics of this amp are so good, you won't be crying for more volume anyway.

Dsaldivar

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2016, 10:51 pm »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

I just took delivery of a Rogue Sphinx integrated and so far I have noticed more transparency and weight, after changing the JJ 12AU7's.

I used to have a Decware Mini Torii MK3 but it was not a good match, perhaps I should have kept it longer to see if the components would develop a better relationship.

I am saving to buy a 300B amplifier for the winter time, here in El Paso,TX summers temperatures are over 100 Farenheit degrees, no way I can use a tube amp on these summer months.

Dan

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2016, 12:44 am »
The Mini Torii not being a good match does not add up.  :scratch:

effluviography

« Reply #16 on: 29 Feb 2016, 07:08 am »
I don't mind my Mini-tori with the Omega 3XRS, but I prefer my Superzen with those speakers. I prefer the Mini-tori with Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness. Though, I'm itching to try the new Alnico Compact Monitors.