Super 3i and 5 are coming back

Louis O

Super 3i and 5 are coming back
« on: 18 Jun 2013, 11:07 pm »
Hi All,

In a recent post Canada Rob was hinting that the Super 3i and the 5's might be coming back. I thought about it for a while and with the RS5 driver it was sealed when I built them. I have modified the 3i's a bit and now they are better than ever and have a great look too.

I made the cabs a little larger as well as changing the internal wiring to solid core cotton jacket cable. The drivers are the RS5's and the grill is more proportional to the cabinet now.

The 5's are unchanged except the RS5's.

Pictures below are EKO Olivewood for the 3i's and EKO smoked Oak for the 5's

Super 5's

Looks like I will lengthen the grills on these.

Thanks,
Louis

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Super 3i and 5 are coming back
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2013, 04:25 pm »
This is good news indeed.  These two speakers were classics with the HempCone and were a couple of my favourites.  With the RS5 driver they will no doubt be phenomenal.  Another thing I love about these speakers is their look - the dimensions are very eye pleasing.  Either will be perfect on 24" stands which are about the most common size of monitor stands available.  Also, the EKO Olivewood finish of the 3i, and the EKO Fumed Oak finish of the 5 are just gorgeous, and to think they are both entry level finishes.  I also like the extended grill on the 3i and agree with you Louis that the 5 needs the same treatment.  Nice work!

beowulf

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2013, 12:27 am »
Wow, I'm really loving that Olive Wood!  +1 on the lengthened grills for the Super 5 ... the look of the 3i is more cohesive with their grills in comparison to the 5.

1. Do you have prospective pricing on these models yet (with the Laminates and Veneers)?

2. What speaker stands are you using with those?

3. Can you explain the reasoning for offseting the drivers on the Super 5?

Thanks!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2013, 06:48 pm »
Wow, I'm really loving that Olive Wood!  +1 on the lengthened grills for the Super 5 ... the look of the 3i is more cohesive with their grills in comparison to the 5.

1. Do you have prospective pricing on these models yet (with the Laminates and Veneers)?

2. What speaker stands are you using with those?

3. Can you explain the reasoning for offseting the drivers on the Super 5?

Thanks!
beowwulf,

1. Super 3i: $595 in EKO laminates, $795 Cherry and Walnut veneers, and contact Omega for price on Exotic veneers.
    Super 5: $795 in EKO laminates, $995 Cherry and Walnut veneers, and contact Omega for price on Exotic veneers.

2. Any ballast fillable, high quality 24" stand.  Sound anchors would be my first choice.

3. The driver is offset to the inside to improve imaging.

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2013, 11:13 pm »
Hi Canada Rob,

Many thanks for your post and the pricing is correct. I'm very happy to have them back. The look is better than ever as well as the performance with the RS5 drivers and especially at these prices. These as with all my speakers are built to a much higher price point.

The new EKO is very high quality and the have a grain that is embedded, so they feel like wood too.

Hi  beowulf,

The stands are Skylan and they are very good. I also have Sound Anchors and they are very high quality as well. Sound Anchors are on top of my list too.

The offset drivers also reduce standing waves in the cabinet.

Thanks,
Louis

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2013, 02:18 am »
 8)
Holy cow those look 5's in smoked oak  are sw---eeeeet!  :green:

Hi All,

In a recent post Canada Rob was hinting that the Super 3i and the 5's might be coming back. I thought about it for a while and with the RS5 driver it was sealed when I built them. I have modified the 3i's a bit and now they are better than ever and have a great look too.

I made the cabs a little larger as well as changing the internal wiring to solid core cotton jacket cable. The drivers are the RS5's and the grill is more proportional to the cabinet now.

The 5's are unchanged except the RS5's.

Pictures below are EKO Olivewood for the 3i's and EKO smoked Oak for the 5's

Super 5's

Looks like I will lengthen the grills on these.

Thanks,
Louis

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2013, 09:42 am »
Could someone clarify the differences between these speakers and the '3 series'?

Specifications?

Update to website?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2013, 09:42 pm »
JLM,

The website should hopefully be updated within a week.  The Super 3i and Super 5 Monitor were in production before the "new" 3 series came out.  They were classic Omega and killer good sounding with the HempCone driver.  Recently Louis decided to try the RS5 driver in the Super 3i and Super 5 cabinets he still had around the shop.
The results were stunning - the next level(s) over the HempCone, not to mention they have really pleasing aesthetic dimensions, so he has re-introduced them to go along with the "new" 3 series.  The Super 3E will be dropped in favour of the Super 5 Monitor, but the rest of the "new" Super 3 series are staying as is.
The "new" Super 3XRS is identical to the original Fostex based Super 3XRS and HempCone based Super 5XRS, but with the RS5 driver and different port tuning.
I hope this explanation clarifies things.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2013, 09:57 pm »
Recently Louis decided to try the RS5 driver in the Super 3i and Super 5 cabinets he still had around the shop.

I'm sure glad that he did, I received my b stock gloss black Super 3is w/RS5 back in February and they are excellent speakers.  :thumb:

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2013, 10:25 pm »
Hi opnly bafld,

Thanks and your speakers are the ones that sealed the deal for me.

So happy you like the new 3i's.

Thanks,
Louis

Fullrange Drew

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2013, 02:49 am »
I'm keen to know if there is an impedance curve available for the Super 5's (and for the 3i).  I'm quite keen on a pair, but my feedbackless amp has a reasonably high output impedance, so I'd like to see what load it'll be facing down in the bass regions...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2013, 05:26 am »
Hi Drew, what amp?

I don't have an impedance graph but will say the Omegas work great with amps that have low damping factors, like a SET amp with no feedback... which is what I use.

Fullrange Drew

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2013, 06:26 am »
It's a homebrew.  PP EL84 in triode mode with LED biasing on the output stage.  6CG7 input gain stage and concertina phase splitter, again LED bias. Zero feedback. Outputs are 10k primary.

I know it doesn't like my KEF HTS2001 "eggs".

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2013, 05:02 pm »
I too run RS5 based Omegas on a zero feedback SET.  No Omega or Hoyt-Bedford speaker I have used has had any issue with impedance regardless of amplifier.
If you are going with a near field system in a smaller room, I would go with the Super 3i, and in a bigger room the Super 5.  The Super 5 has the same cabinet volume is the Super 3XRS.  For any monitor speaker the stands are just as important as the speaker itself, and my #1 recommendation are Sound Anchors with their pre-filled ballast.