DAC-9

JackD

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #40 on: 29 Dec 2015, 03:08 am »
I would suspect that the "9" series has been delayed again and no one has them otherwise John or Jason would have said something since they were supposed to ship the first week of the month.

rustydoglim

« Reply #41 on: 29 Dec 2015, 01:19 pm »
We have been shipping!
Order now!

JackD

« Reply #42 on: 7 Jan 2016, 03:21 am »
Has anyone actually received and listened to one of these yet?  Any impressions, Mark or John included.

Juventino

« Reply #43 on: 7 Jan 2016, 09:10 am »
i got mine yesterday but havent had enough time to listen to it.
I did get a chance to sit down for 30min at the dealer and listen to it on a pair of Avantgardes, with a Rega intergrated and it sounded smooth, soundstage open and not in your face.

When I have more time with it at home will post a review.

wellpleased

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 7 Jan 2016, 03:29 pm »
Has anyone actually received and listened to one of these yet?  Any impressions, Mark or John included.

I am due to receive mine tomorrow (1/8) so I will let you know my impressions in a few weeks.

pewe

« Reply #45 on: 5 Feb 2016, 03:05 pm »
If someone has listened to the DAC9 I would appreciate your thougths. :D

mervinpearce

« Reply #46 on: 10 Feb 2016, 01:43 am »
I bought the DAC-9 and 2 x STA-9 for bridging and being out the country (getting my paws on them this Friday) I had them delivered to a trusted friend for his input (and getting some warmup time)  his initial feedback after a few hours are noted here.  I will do a complete review this weekend.  This is a personal message to me.  Audio Physics Speakers.

"Listened a bit last night with DAC-9 as DAC and single ST-9.
Very pleasing slightly warm sounding and yes much like the IDA-8.

So this morning around 2 am I did the following DAC-9 as DAC & Pre with 1 X STA-9.
Oh Wow this works for me big time.The Nuprime kit goes so well together and I experienced lovely deep bass with nice highs and wonderful midrange.Separation of instruments is good,lovely pin point imaging with a nice feeling of being there soundstage. Yes very much like the IDA-8 with a bit more power and control.
Will bridge amps a little later and looking forward to that but first I want to try this on my Maggies."

Juventino

« Reply #47 on: 11 Feb 2016, 12:50 pm »
I have had the DAC-9 for a couple of weeks now and have given it approx 65-70hrs to run in

The equipment used is Valve Audio Exclame 100 Intergrated amp, B&W 703 speakers and the DAC-9 just as a DAC.
Very warm sounding Dac with excellent imaging. Detail and instrument separation is extremely good.
Depending on what you are going to pair the Dac with the bass can be a bit heavy but I think that is more due to the high gain on the DAC

Compared the DAC-9 with the W4S Dac2 and the Wadia 121. This is where we found the high gain on the DAC-9 as we had to drop the volume to approx 80 to be on even footing with the other 2 Dacs
Found the Wadia 121 and the Dac-9 to be very similar. Dac-9 slightly more detail and a more laid back sound.
With the W4S Dac we found that the DAC-9 was better over all.

We also through in a T+A Dac but there was just no comparison, the T+A is miles ahead.

Ps I have been advised that the components used are not very neutral but I am not giving a review just how I perceived it to sound using my system.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #48 on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:26 pm »
"Very warm sounding Dac with excellent imaging. Detail and instrument separation is extremely good.
Depending on what you are going to pair the Dac with the bass can be a bit heavy but I think that is more due to the high gain on the DAC

Compared the DAC-9 with the W4S Dac2 and the Wadia 121. This is where we found the high gain on the DAC-9 as we had to drop the volume to approx 80 to be on even footing with the other 2 Dacs
Found the Wadia 121 and the Dac-9 to be very similar. Dac-9 slightly more detail and a more laid back sound.
With the W4S Dac we found that the DAC-9 was better over all.

We also through in a T+A Dac but there was just no comparison, the T+A is miles ahead
."

Juventino,

Thank you for posting your impressions. Input such as this is valuable.

"Depending on what you are going to pair the Dac with the bass can be a bit heavy but I think that is more due to the high gain on the DAC."

I do not own this DAC, but I have noticed the same sound in my IDA-8 while using the Bluetooth function. There seems to be a bass boost - perhaps to help offset the reduced power output from the amplifier in Bluetooth mode(?). Dunno. I'm just guessing. Repeatedly, I have wished the IDA-8 had more power (150 to 200w/ch) specifically for the Bluetooth mode, but minus that 'extra' bass boost. I assume it's there to compensate for BT's drain on the amplifier's output.

drumnman2

« Reply #49 on: 16 Feb 2016, 02:31 am »
Have a couple of questions on Dac 9 if anyone could answer please. Can the balanced and single ended outputs be used simultaneously. As in could the single ended send a full range signal to an amp and the balanced to a pr of subs ? Also if I connect an SACD player to the 2 analog inputs will it stay in analog for normal playback or be converted to digital ? Would the balanced input be better for SACD playback or aren't these units compatible with that format ? Finally  I already have an STA 9 amp (happy) and wonder if the combination would be too warm ? Thanks.

rustydoglim

« Reply #50 on: 16 Feb 2016, 09:27 am »
Yes, you can use the outputs simultaneously. It is designed for people who can to connect to amp/speaker AND sub or headphone amp.
The analog inputs do not go through any digital conversion.
The DAC-9 is not overly warm, what you will get with DAC-9 + STA-9 is the warm sound characteristic of STA-9.  A DAC should not add too much sonic signature to the system so we are talking about very small differences.

paulee

« Reply #51 on: 18 Feb 2016, 05:30 pm »
Received the DAC-9 two days ago. My experience so far:

First, I am not an audiophile(yet..have to start somewhere)

My setup is Sonos(Tidal lossless)->DAC-9->Nuforce REF 9V3SE->KEF LS50.
Previously my setup was Sonos->Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 AVR (preout)->NuForce REF 9V3SE->KEF LS50. (using pure direct mode with no room correction)

The first thing I notice, is actually "less" or more "controlled" bass. Also, guitar strings sound has more "edge", doesnt sound as "strong or smooth", almost like they are weaker or more tender and low-fi, but more detailed - maybe more honest.

It seems the Yamaha rounded off the highs/treble more, and gave an overall more blurry and warmer sound. For me, not being an audiophile, it was quite revealing, and it will take some time to get used to. Any thoughts on this? Is this expected? Very hard to describe sound.

Tracks played:

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Minor Majority - Wish you'd hold that smile
D'Angelo - How does it feel
D'Angelo - Really Love
Punch Brothers - Julep

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #52 on: 20 Feb 2016, 03:32 pm »
Hello, Paulee.

Unless rustydoglim says otherwise about his DAC-9, your DAC will probably change its sound over the next couple weeks (depending on how many hours it gets). Many DACs need a good hundred (or more!) hours to burn in fully. During this burn in, you may notice changes to guitar, piano, vocals, etc. As tempting as it is to listen for changes straight out of the box, even better sound is waiting for you a hundred hours from now.  :thumb:

I wouldn't be surprised if you keep noticing big improvements in your music. The DAC-9 must be much more capable than the DAC inside the Yamaha AVR. [About three years ago, I went from a Denon 2113ci to a Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus. There was a huge improvement!] I don't even want to think about how much better the DAC-9 is than my DACMagic Plus.  :nono: It's nearly time for me to upgrade my old DAC. I'm really looking forward to it....and I'll try really hard to allow it to burn in completely before I over-analyze it (I hope!).  :icon_lol:

Listen to all your favorite songs now. Are there any "Wow!" revelations?

I'm an old (too old, perhaps) Pink Floyd fan, so I like that choice. Minor Majority is new to me, so I listened to that song on YouTube. I like it. I'm not too sure I care for 'How does it feel', but that might be my 'censor' kicking in. I suspect D'Angelo enjoyed making that video. I've heard of the Punch Brothers, but I'm unfamiliar with their music. I'll check out Julep right after I hit 'post'. [Edit: Yes! I like Julep. Reminds me a little of Sarah Jarosz.]

Post more impressions of songs as burn in occurs! And educate me with new music, please.  :wink:

Regards,

Michael

rustydoglim

« Reply #53 on: 20 Feb 2016, 07:39 pm »
As comparison (versus Tidal -> SONOS as source), try playing some high-res music samples from your computer to DAC-9.
We have some tracks here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eytmqlk652bg10k/AACL_STgL2yyi8AY08U2Jznqa?dl=0

You will find out how much better it gets. There are 16 tracks of very short music (track01 - track16) samples that demonstrate various audio characteristic. For example, to evaluate deep bass, try track04,05. That's better than testing with drums.

drumnman2

« Reply #54 on: 22 Feb 2016, 01:40 am »
I have an STA 9 amp and I am considering a DAC 9. I have noticed that I have to turn my volume knob to 1 o'clock with the STA 9 compared to only 10 o'clock with my previous amp. Only 22 gain on the 9 and 29 on my old amp, I see the ST 10 has a gain of 28. My speakers are rated at 89 db sensitivity.  Anyhow there are no specs' for the DAC 9 and I want to know what the preamp output voltage is to drive the amp. My current preamp is 2 volts, if any less I may need to go with the ST 10 instead. Just want to be sure I am not pushing the STA 9 too hard all the time. I will say the STA 9 is a pretty big improvement in clarity and detail from my previous amp and I am enjoying it.

rustydoglim

« Reply #55 on: 22 Feb 2016, 07:35 am »
I have an STA 9 amp and I am considering a DAC 9. I have noticed that I have to turn my volume knob to 1 o'clock with the STA 9 compared to only 10 o'clock with my previous amp. Only 22 gain on the 9 and 29 on my old amp, I see the ST 10 has a gain of 28. My speakers are rated at 89 db sensitivity.  Anyhow there are no specs' for the DAC 9 and I want to know what the preamp output voltage is to drive the amp. My current preamp is 2 volts, if any less I may need to go with the ST 10 instead. Just want to be sure I am not pushing the STA 9 too hard all the time. I will say the STA 9 is a pretty big improvement in clarity and detail from my previous amp and I am enjoying it.

DAC-9 output for RCA is 4V, XLR 8V
STA-9 mono x 2 with DAC-9 is amazing.

mervinpearce

« Reply #56 on: 22 Feb 2016, 04:49 pm »
Absolutely Agree!

rustydoglim

« Reply #57 on: 22 Feb 2016, 08:16 pm »
Whatever we can describe is on the product page. I think we gave a lot of technical description as compared to other products out there.
DAC-9 is cheap and extremely good, what else out there can compete at this price  :thumb:
The performance of a DAC actually has a lot to do with the preamp and jitter reduction design. These are the two things we don't talk a lot about.

HPA-9 is one product that we went a bit further with some proprietary design secrets.  I just updated the product page yesterday.

paulee

« Reply #58 on: 23 Feb 2016, 12:05 am »
As comparison (versus Tidal -> SONOS as source), try playing some high-res music samples from your computer to DAC-9.
We have some tracks here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eytmqlk652bg10k/AACL_STgL2yyi8AY08U2Jznqa?dl=0

You will find out how much better it gets. There are 16 tracks of very short music (track01 - track16) samples that demonstrate various audio characteristic. For example, to evaluate deep bass, try track04,05. That's better than testing with drums.

Thanks rustydogslim for the links, It is quite amazing the bass and control I get out of the LS50's with my setup. (DAC9 + REF 9V3SE's)

drumnman2

« Reply #59 on: 23 Feb 2016, 12:45 am »
DAC-9 output for RCA is 4V, XLR 8V

This is where I figured I would end up ( 2 Sta9's & Dac9). Was reading a review from Totally Wired and he felt the ST10 was the best, makes sense at almost a grand more. He also felt biamping with 2 Sta9's was better than bridging 2. Just one person's opinion but has anyone tried this set-up ? I guess when I get my 2nd one I can find out myself  !!