Hear the LIVE versus Recorded on your own system - The VMPS SESSIONS

John Casler

Each year Brian has produced this event, we have had the intention of having the results to send to VMPS customers and AudioCircle Members to hear on their own systems.

However, the artists (rights) and the logistics (burning and mailing) often prevented this from occuring.

This year we hope will be different, and we intend to make the music files available for NON-COMMERCIAL personal use.  The digital world has allowed us to be able to "send" those interested the files via file transfer systems now available, and you should be able to either burn your own CD, or stream the music to your system.

In this way, you will be able to hear the fully LIVE performance as it was recorded.  I "think" we may even be able to offer the two different systems we used to record the files. 

Finally (I hope) the Live versus Recorded will not be limited to only those who were able to attend the show.  Obviously you will not be able to hear the LIVE version, but you will be able to hear the recording of a LIVE performer or performers on an elegantly simple, non-compressed format that can be startlingly realistic to what actually played (depending on the capabilities of your system)

So as soon as the files are available, I will post the instructions on how this works.

I then look forward to your comments and opinions as it should transport you to the LAKE MEAD BALLROOM and what was heard during those sessions.

Housteau

John, both yours and Brian's were mailed out on Friday before I left town.  With any luck you should have them tomorrow.  I included a full page description and explanation of the recording process, as well as the different recording chains that I used on the included tracks.

John Casler

John, both yours and Brian's were mailed out on Friday before I left town.  With any luck you should have them tomorrow.  I included a full page description and explanation of the recording process, as well as the different recording chains that I used on the included tracks.

Great!!

As soon as they arrive, I'll load them to an External HD and start collecting e-mail addresses of those who might want to try them on their systems.

Barring my non-technical know how, it should be great to hear how they sound on various VMPS and AudioCircle Member's Systems.

I hope this works as planned.

If so, I also have a few of last years cuts that I might also be able to offer "for private use only".

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Put me on your email list.  Thanks.

Russ

John Casler

Put me on your email list.  Thanks.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Just recieved the files from Dave (THANKS DAVE!!!)  :thumb:

I think they have been properly downloaded to my external HD and if you send me your e-mail address I will try and WE TRANSFER them to you.

E-mail me your e-mail addy to bioforce.inc@gte.net.

We can then see if this will work.  These seem to be in 24/96 resolution so they will either need to be played off a HD or burned to a DVD and played off a DVD/Universal Disc Player.

mjosef

At last...been waiting four years for this.  :lol:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
John,

If these are hi-rez files, they are too big for email transfer (at least to me).  Maybe someone who knows more about this stuff can give us some possible solutions for transferring files of this size (greater than 100MB) over the internet. 

Russ

John Casler

At last...been waiting four years for this.  :lol:

You and me both, but I don't want to count our chickens before they are hatched.  The first trial transfer batch started about 1 hour ago and since I have to use the my "old" computer (cause I work on this one) the transfer may take a few hours.

You and some of todays request will go out next (as long as the transfer is working properly)

John Casler

John,

If these are hi-rez files, they are too big for email transfer (at least to me).  Maybe someone who knows more about this stuff can give us some possible solutions for transferring files of this size (greater than 100MB) over the internet. 

Russ

I am using WE TRANSFER  and I think it allows you to download straight to disc, but all I have done so far is "upload" direct from disc (Hard Drive)

It doesn't e-mail you files.

radarnyc

how about using https://www.dropbox.com/

John,

Russ

John Casler

WE TRANSFER shows the file as 1581mb, but again, it doesn't e-mail you the file.  The e-mail addy is just to make sure it is going to the right place.

Look HERE and HERE for more info on WE TRANSFER and how it works.

If this works as planned, it is the reason we can now make these VMPS LIVE SESSIONS available.

Stimpy

A file size of 1581Mb definitely will not email as an attachment.  To share a file that large,
users would have to download it directly from it's source hard drive, or from a hosted ftp server.
The only other solution would be to upload the file to a bit torrent site, and it could be shared
that way.  Otherwise, short of burning discs one at a time, and directly mailing them, I think
we're out of luck!

rbbert

Dropbox is free up to 2GB, and it appears WETRANSFER is similar.  Just let us know what to do next to get the file, John?  TIA

doug s.

• makin' music
sign me up when this gets sorted out.   :thumb:

tia,

doug s.

John Casler

I have sent along a "test" download to a couple people to see if it is working.

I believe you may need a "music server" or computer based/HD system to access them, once downloaded.  Not sure if you can burn a DVD or not.  Since these are 24/96 files you "will not" be able to burn them to a CD.

John Casler

Still waiting for confirmation that some have actually and successfully downloaded the files.

However, for those who want to download them, I need your e-mail address.

Send it to:  bioforce.inc@gte.net and I will add it to the WE TRANSFER list.

I am right now listening to the files off my computer and they sound excellent.

Housteau

I had sent John 24/96 files thinking he still had his server running.  I am out of town now, but when I get home I can get the standard CDs to him to work with as well if needed.  These 24/96 files can be downconverted to 16/44.1 by any number of audio software programs.  With those you can can create a CD if that is your prefered method of listening.  However, you will notice a loss compared to the hi-rez material.

I suppose another option would be to convert the 24/96 to flack for easier uploads and downloads, like HD Tracks.

If I spoke to you at T.H.E. Show and took down your info, I will be contacting you when I get back home about getting the hard copies to you.  However, I have quite a list now and I want to get those taken care of before I add more to it.  So, lets see how this download thing works.  With any luck it should be just what is needed.

John Casler

Have just added the current list of e-mail addys to the download list.  So most of you will be recieving an email from WE TRANSFER that the download is waiting and a "link" to get it.

I am currently listening via my computer to the 24/96 and have to say they sound great but please comment after you download.

THANKS DAVE!!

Delta Wave

Dave is the man! I'm looking forward to downloading them when I get home next week.  :thumb:

John Casler

Have had a ton of people downloading them today.  Hope all went well.

I am of the opinion that they may sound even better in a different room than the one we recorded them in simply because you will not have 2 x the same room reflections and RT-60 affects.

Some (not all) were miked as the pics in the other thread demo, however we experimented with moving musicians and miking strategies.  In any event, have you EVER heard a Grand Piano sound SO real? :o

The reverb, decay and the soundboard is quite evident.  Keep in mind the Piano is closer to the main mikes and on some (but I'm not sure which) the vocalists were direct miked or standing closer to the mike.  Can you tell which by listening?

Have fun with these.  If this works out, I may be able to also offer some of our previous recordings (FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY)

To me, these sound as good or better than virtually ANY other PROFFESIONAL Live recording.  Maybe because I was there and actually have a vision of the perfromers.

And the Drum Kit?  Are we talking REAL LIVE or what? :thumb:

Those who downloaded, hope you are able to listen to them OK.

Those who haven't send me your e-mail address. 

You don't have to be a VMPS owner/user/listener/fanboy/whatever.  Just an AC member of know one. :lol: :lol:

Everyone should have a few LIVE RECORDED files to hear what it SHOULD sound like.