How do I setup my new vinyl rig
TT Project Phono  Pre amp
Do I need a phono cable and ic  if so how many

Pat's little brother

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: Newbie to Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2008, 05:14 pm »
Did it come with a manual? Read that first, thoroughly :)

Read this as well, and check out the links provided...

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/819.html

bluemike

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2008, 07:37 pm »
I haven't got it yet
I need to know what wiring I need interconnects power cables etc to hook up a vinyl rig

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2008, 08:18 pm »
Most of the time, the tonearm wiring will be terminated to RCA ends, so if you have a separate phono preamp you'll need a cable between it and a line-level input on your preamp/amp. If your preamp/amp already has a phono preamp built-in, then that's one less thing you have to buy and the cable coming from the turntable will plug directly into that input.

Hope this helps.

bluemike

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2008, 08:26 pm »
Jim
Thanks

No phono pre amp ....I need to get a phono stage
Would the TT have rca interconnects hardwired to the back
Would this go to the phono stage
And then a second interconnect would go from Phono to pre amp

Would that be accurate

bacobits1

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2008, 09:02 pm »
That sounds accurate.
Turntable interconnects to Phono Pre, Interconnects from Phono Pre to Integrated Amp input or separate Preamp inputs.

D

bluemike

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2008, 09:23 pm »
Thanks
Would any rca interconnect do
Any ones you could recommend that are good that won't break the bank
The rest of my interconnects are pretty high priced stuff

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2008, 09:35 pm »
I've had good luck with Knukonceptz stuff, but everybody has their own taste in cables. If you don't have a phono stage, I'd rather spend $20 on a cable and get the best possible preamp I could find, vs. $200 on a cable and have that money come out of the preamp :)

dangerbird

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2008, 10:29 am »
Well said sir,, you can always come back and tweak your phono cables,,set aside enough monies for a really Good phono pre if you can. Good luck,have fun and enjoy.  :D

ricmon

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2008, 04:08 pm »
You should also get a  TT set up record and also seriously consider the Pro-Ject Speed Box.  Is your TT a Pro-Ject if so which model.

Ric 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2008, 07:57 pm »
Not to split hairs - but for clarification sake - The turntable usually has only one connection which is the AC cord that plugs in the wall and supplies current to the motor. Your tonearm, whether separately purchased or included with table, has a phono cable running from its bottom to the phono preamp. These are a continuation of the cartridge connections at the other end of your tonearm. You seem to understand already that it (phono pre) can be freestanding or included in a preamp, integrated amp or receiver. This will have a left and right channel and sometimes a ground wire. If there is a ground wire, you will usually see a gnd. connection near your phono inputs. If you use an outboard phono stage, you will need one pair of interconnects to run from phono out to phono in. Anything will work for now. Find out what you have and then find out later how to make it better.

By the way, hum can be a problem with phono setups. Sometimes that is due to a poor ground connection and sometimes it can be due to the phono section being too close to other equipment.

How much do you want for your CD player? You're not going to want to use it anymore.

ricmon

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2008, 08:35 pm »
 Last night I wanted to revisit some music that I have in CD format simply because I have missed listing to some of the artist.  So I fired up the old CD player and started to listen...............a while latter I couldn't take it any more and returned to my TT.  This reminds me of something Frank Van Alstine said about class D amps.  The play all the note but none of the music. You just wait this phenomena does not take long to occur (just like getting strung out on heroin........very addicting)

ricmon

« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2008, 08:36 pm »
How much do you want for your CD player? You're not going to want to use it anymore.

Last night I wanted to revisit some music that I have in CD format simply because I have missed listing to some of the artist.  So I fired up the old CD player and started to listen...............a while latter I couldn't take it any more and returned to my TT.  This reminds me of something Frank Van Alstine said about class D amps.  The play all the note but none of the music. You just wait this phenomena does not take long to occur (just like getting strung out on heroin........very addicting)

bluemike

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2008, 03:48 pm »
I appreciate all the responses to date  :D

I will be demoing a project tube box se 2 in the next week or two, to be used with a lenco TT.

The stock tonearm has been changed and replaced with a rewired Rega arm RB300

Any opinions on this particular Phono stage would be hepful