WOO HOO! Finally have The Beatles - The Collection

Wardsweb

My system is at last in nirvana. After years of rolling gear, umpteen speaker swaps, tweaks and countless hours of listening, my 2-channel system was dialed in. Now I only needed something up to the task of reference material. Well to me, it has arrived. I've been spinning for hours from the Beatles MOFI Box set and my wife thinks I've lost my mind. I'm like a kid at Christmas who got the Red Rider. Man oh man, it's all been worth it. I am a happy man.

fly_fish_nz

Re: WOO HOO! Finally have The Beatles - The Collection
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2007, 12:55 am »
Cool!  Now for a stupid question: is this a new set of pressings by MoFi?  How good are they versus the standard LP's and CD's?  I shouldn't ask, even be thinking of getting the set, but how much does a set run? 

Wardsweb

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2007, 01:06 am »
These were produced back in the early 80's. New they ran about $300. These days they average $800 for a clean set, but I've seen a couple sealed sets approach $2000.

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2007, 01:08 am »
Nice score!!!!  I used to have quite a few MFSL LP's- good stuff and enjoy your new toys.

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2007, 01:48 am »
I bought one of the MFSL sets in 1982 from Harvey's Electronics in White Plains New York (just above the city) for $325. Actually my soon to be wife had to put it on her charge card since I was broke at the time. Still got it, been played twice. I have most of the single Beatles MFSL albums also, I was collecting them never expecting to see the complete boxed set. Great music! The album jackets are photocopies of the master tape boxes complete with doodles and hand written notes and song lists.

tomjtx

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2007, 03:43 am »
My system is at last in nirvana. After years of rolling gear, umpteen speaker swaps, tweaks and countless hours of listening, my 2-channel system was dialed in. Now I only needed something up to the task of reference material. Well to me, it has arrived. I've been spinning for hours from the Beatles MOFI Box set and my wife thinks I've lost my mind. I'm like a kid at Christmas who got the Red Rider. Man oh man, it's all been worth it. I am a happy man.

2,000.00?

wow, I have 2 sets I bought when it 1st came out. One is sealed. The other is played once a year always on a Linn and always cleaned.

Hmmm.............4 years till my kid starts college........one more addition to the college fund :-)

This is a great set , hope you enjoy it.

Wardsweb

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2007, 12:07 pm »
2,000.00?

wow, I have 2 sets I bought when it 1st came out. One is sealed. The other is played once a year always on a Linn and always cleaned.

Hmmm.............4 years till my kid starts college........one more addition to the college fund :-)

This is a great set , hope you enjoy it.
There is one on Ebay now that ends today. It is already over $1000. You have pure gold on your hands. Congratulations.

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2007, 10:32 pm »
I know its a great day for you. I thought i could get away with the UK reissue of 1978 boxed set, i was happy with it as i have a good set. I think they were unplayed. Thats until i was able to obtain the MFSL set. Well the sound of the MFSL set is much better and i was lucky enough to get a early number and they also look to be only played a few times. I cleaned them and play them often cuss i love the Beatles. As good as they are if you can get your hands on UK originals from what i have studied online they are the absolute best. Lucky to the ones who have them. One thing for sure its a great looking box and makes a good showing to.

RonB

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2007, 11:35 pm »
Glad to hear you got your hands on one...I've had my Beatles MFSL box set in several different classifieds trying to what I think is to very honestly "give" mine away for $750.00 or trade for specific equipment,but no bites  :cry:....just a wink-wink FYI...PM me if interested!