Recommended TT and Tonearm

wah8dy

Recommended TT and Tonearm
« on: 6 Dec 2021, 08:14 pm »
Looking to upgrade my vinyl system. Budget - $10,000 -12,000 TT, tone arm and speed controller (if applicable). Front-end system: Linear Zotl 40 amp, Don Sach's pre-amp & phono-pre with built-in SUT, Spatial Audio X5 speakers. TT's under consideration: Pear Audio Blue Kid Punch, VPI Prime 21, ClearAudio Innovation Compact Wood, Sota Comos, AMG V12(used). Ability to audition Sota and AMG limited by location to dealers.
Just purchased a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star ES low output to be used as the cart. Upgrading from VPI Scout. Genre listening preference - Jazz, 70-80's R&B, some soft rock some classical. 2000 vinyl collection.       

Seek input/recommendation. Thanks!

Audiosaurusrex

Re: Recommended TT and Tonearm
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2021, 09:57 pm »
Great gear you have. You might want to look at Acoustic Signature too. I have an older Triple X and it is stunning!
The audition is probably the way to go though.

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2021, 10:29 pm »
Unless you are looking for a different sound, you are already in the VPI camp why not just move up the line?

rooze

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2021, 10:43 pm »
I'd be looking at a Dr. Feickert Blackbird with that budget. I'd probably go with an Origin Live arm, maybe the Illustrious MK IV.
From the brands you've mentioned, I've had a Clearaudio Avantgarde Magnum, a VPI TNT and spent time with a Sota. I much prefer my Feickert Woodpecker over anything owned previously. Even the Dr. Feickert Volare with Origin Live Silver tonearm sounds fantastic, and it's only around $4000 new.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2021, 11:45 pm »
Looking to upgrade my vinyl system. Budget - $10,000 -12,000 TT, tone arm and speed controller (if applicable). Front-end system: Linear Zotl 40 amp, Don Sach's pre-amp & phono-pre with built-in SUT, Spatial Audio X5 speakers. TT's under consideration: Pear Audio Blue Kid Punch, VPI Prime 21, ClearAudio Innovation Compact Wood, Sota Comos, AMG V12(used). Ability to audition Sota and AMG limited by location to dealers.
Just purchased a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star ES low output to be used as the cart. Upgrading from VPI Scout. Genre listening preference - Jazz, 70-80's R&B, some soft rock some classical. 2000 vinyl collection.       

Seek input/recommendation. Thanks!

Hey!

For that kind of budget I would also put Helius Designs turntables with one of their tonearms on the list also. I've heard their Viridia with one of their top tonearm and I was taken by the combo. There was something special about it of how the sound just flow and the naturalness feel of the sound.

I can't afford the Viridia, but I recently got their less expensive Alexia... sadly I have no money for a Helius tonearm so I'm using it with my vintage SME 3009 II and Rega RB250 with Hana EL cart. Will definitely get a Helius tonearm someday when I can afford one. But if you can afford the Viridia, go for it!

Yeah, it would be crazy not to put Helius combo on your list really.. Helius turntables and tonearms are really under the radar in Hi-End audio world but once you heard a properly set up combo, I'm sure it will be stuck in your mind.

Buddy

Chewbacca

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2021, 01:48 am »
If you're already going to be using a SoundSmith, it's almost a no-brainer to get a Frank Schroeder tonearm. Frank uses SoundSmith carts as his reference, Peter Ledermann uses Frank's arms as a reference. Match made in heaven. PB&J :thumb:

Looks like Peter actually started manufacturing his own "Schroeder" arms himself, with Franks blessing:

https://www.sound-smith.com/tonearms/alto-tone-arm-designed-frank-schr%C3%B6der

As far as tables, I believe Peter uses the high end VPI and ditches the arm.

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2021, 02:47 am »

As far as tables, I believe Peter uses the high end VPI and ditches the arm.
Peter uses 2 STST Motus II DQ direct drive TT's with Schröder arms for the higher end Hyperion and Strain Gauge series. 

Chewbacca

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2021, 02:57 am »
Peter uses 2 STST Motus II DQ direct drive TT's with Schröder arms for the higher end Hyperion and Strain Gauge series.

Good to know! I just remember him mentioning VPI tables at some point in one of his videos. Or I could be crazy - probably that one :lol:

RPM123

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2021, 05:45 pm »
Nice budget!

+1 on the Acoustic Signature and they come with a 15 year warranty! Due to COVID supply chain issues, I just got mine set up - over almost a three month period.  :(

Hurricane Neo with Kuzma 4Point9 tonearm and Hana Umami cartridge. The cartridge is still breaking in, but the set up sounds so good! I don't know if you are working with any dealers, but you can PM me for some recommendations. Happy hunting!

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2021, 11:32 pm »
The January 2022 issue of Stereophile has a review of the Acoustic Signature Montana NEO turntable with the TA-7000 NEO tonearm. Mikey likes it, there may be some trickle tech down to their more affordable models, these aren't even close to your budget at $30,995 + $17,995.
https://www.acoustic-signature.com/

This issue also has a review of the Pro-Ject Debut PRO that goes for a less breathtaking $999.00.
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/debut-pro/

Look for both reviews to appear on the Stereophile website in a week or two.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2021, 11:49 pm »
Love my Acoustic Signature Triple X. I’m sure the new line is just stellar! Trying to decide which cart I like better Umami Red or AT-ART9xa.

RPM123

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2021, 02:42 am »
If they are that close, go with the AT, since it's a lot cheaper!   :D

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2021, 12:19 am »
The $30,995 Acoustic Signature Montana NEO turntable with the $17,995 TA-7000 NEO tonearm review has been posted on Stereophile

https://www.stereophile.com/content/acoustic-signature-montana-neo-turntable

Once it's packed up and shipped back, I'll surely miss it.
Someday, if I decide to downsize—who knows?—I can see myself moving to Montana.

- Michael Fremer

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2021, 02:35 am »
You should consider asking over at the AudioShark Forum.  At audioshark.org  There are a lot of people there with high end gear and TT's.

lazydays

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2022, 01:15 am »
at $10K the Acoustic Signature is the hot item. They have redesigned the spindle bearing and the rest is similar to what has made them a big dog in the field. Jury is still out on that diamond bearing (wear), but who knows. Their tone arms are really good, and were not out there when I got mine. I use an SME. The turntable is built like a tank! Folks that are hung up on direct drives like rag folks with belt drives. Speed on mine is rock steady with maybe a .01% variation checked with a super precision tach.
Vibration (feedback) is very good, and got better when I got a Ginko Cloud. Mine is so old that it uses sewing thread for the drive belt. And the type of thread changes the sound a little bit. I use either a pure silk thread (will not stretch like an O ring) or a dacron silk blend, You spend $25 for a new belt or go to the fabric store and buy thread for five bucks. Yet the thread seems to last a long, long time

Of course I use a Final Tool, and when you get into that kinda frame work; your dealing with weight. The final Tool weighs 40lb. Whatever you set them has to be heavy duty. Take a look on audiogon. You see them in there from time to time and it's not hard to find one under $8K
gary

bajaed

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2022, 06:29 am »
I'd be looking at a Dr. Feickert Blackbird with that budget. I'd probably go with an Origin Live arm, maybe the Illustrious MK IV.
From the brands you've mentioned, I've had a Clearaudio Avantgarde Magnum, a VPI TNT and spent time with a Sota. I much prefer my Feickert Woodpecker over anything owned previously. Even the Dr. Feickert Volare with Origin Live Silver tonearm sounds fantastic, and it's only around $4000 new.
I second this. The Feickert line of tables are an outstanding value, I'm thrilled with my Dr Feickert Woodpecker.

Bioman65

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jul 2022, 01:01 pm »
I love my Feickert Firebird; having said that there are a lot of Acoustic Signature fans out there as well.  I doubt you would be unhappy either way.  Smart move with a Soundsmith cart; if you like the SQ you can get it rebuilt over and over for $350 each time.

magicjack74

« Reply #17 on: 4 Aug 2022, 03:37 pm »
I recommend just getting a DS Audio 003 with its equalizer (phono), and selling your current phono. Use the balance to get any TT and a heavy tonearm. You'll get the most out of it when the retrieval is optimised.

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 5 Aug 2022, 05:29 am »
I wonder if the Semper Sonus is very good?

If I had your budget I'd probably just buy a TD124 that was gone through with a SME 3012R unaltered. PTP would be within consideration with the same arm, but the TD124 is amazing. Maybe a Micro Seiki if you found a good belt driven 5000 or higher model but probably not at that price anymore.

The other thing I'd do that I consider paramount is a metal mat.

There really isn't much for new TT's that I'd rate as even worth considering in the price range unfortunately.

LedZep

« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2022, 06:00 am »
Is Transrotor sold in your area. You can pick Zet3 model with magnetic bearing and dual motors. I beleive it fits in your budget including tonearm. You can also connect 2 tonearms on this model.

http://brooklynaudioinc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2033

I have a TT (hand made) w magnetic bearing and dual motor, and I am very happy with it, very good bass response. I suggest whatever you choose, choose it w heavy platter for a good bass. Happy shopping  :thumb: