Too much gain?

vortrex

Re: Too much gain?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Dec 2012, 09:15 am »
did more testing tonight and clearly the 103R sounds better with the SUT, no comparison.

with it at 60db and 100 ohm it sounded ok, but it didn't help the sensitivity issues much.  I loaded it at 50 ohm and it didn't sound too good at all.  I then put it at 150 ohm and it sounded similar to the 100 ohm.

I then put it at 45db and 47k ohm per Manley.  volume control is good, as I experienced before, and I would say the sound is somewhat similar to what I was getting at 60db 100 ohm.

guess I will wait and see how the Leben works out.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #21 on: 8 Dec 2012, 12:59 pm »
Any change in your hum/noise level?

vortrex

« Reply #22 on: 8 Dec 2012, 05:36 pm »
no, no matter what setting it's at there's still the hum/noise.
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2012, 09:43 pm by vortrex »

Ericus Rex

« Reply #23 on: 8 Dec 2012, 08:07 pm »
You must have an interaction of the new phono pre's tranny to your amp.

First, make sure it's not a ground loop issue but doing all the suggestions above.

If noise is still there, remove the IC's between the amp and phono pre and turn both on (this sounds like bizarre advice but stick with me).  You probably will still hear the buzz.  Turn off the phono pre only.  If the buzz stops you've found your culprit.  If it still buzzes, unplug the phono pre.  Did the hum stop?

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 8 Dec 2012, 08:11 pm »
Is the hum/noise the same volume as you move the volume control or does increase and descrease as you turn the dial?

vortrex

« Reply #25 on: 8 Dec 2012, 09:45 pm »
with IC's removed from the amp it is dead silent.

If noise is still there, remove the IC's between the amp and phono pre and turn both on (this sounds like bizarre advice but stick with me).  You probably will still hear the buzz.  Turn off the phono pre only.  If the buzz stops you've found your culprit.  If it still buzzes, unplug the phono pre.  Did the hum stop?

vortrex

« Reply #26 on: 8 Dec 2012, 09:46 pm »
Is the hum/noise the same volume as you move the volume control or does increase and descrease as you turn the dial?

changes as the volume control is turned.

vortrex

« Reply #27 on: 11 Dec 2012, 12:34 am »
I was reading up some more on ground loops and one article says this does not happened in balanced systems.  well, my last setup was balanced from the phono pre to the amp.  so...it seems like this hum/noise issue has maybe been there all along but I never was affected by it since the previous system was balanced?  that also makes sense, because even if I put my old phono pre back in I still hear the hum/noise.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:57 am »
It could have something to do with it, but chances are, your ground loop is right here:

My grounding seems fine, which is table to phono pre and SUT to phono pre.  Touching various parts or adding more grounds has no change.  I connected a CD player and it's dead silent.  If I remove the SUT from the path and use the MM inputs of the phono pre it's better. 

Only the tonearm ground should be hooked to the phono pre ground. If you have a dedicated wire from the SUT, try a chassis screw or let it float. Also, with a diff magnetic field with the new integrated, you might need to relocate the SUT. Sometimes another ground from the phono pre to the amp works, but don't set up another ground loop with the SUT.
neo

vortrex

« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2012, 06:22 am »
The same hum is there without the SUT being used, so I don't think it has anything to do with it.

orientalexpress

« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2012, 02:47 pm »
may i ask what kind of tonearm are using with?

lapsan

vortrex

« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2012, 03:38 pm »
Well Tempered Amadeus GTA

orientalexpress

« Reply #32 on: 11 Dec 2012, 03:43 pm »
can u a ohm meter to test the ground wire from the tone arm to see if it's ground to the base of the tone arm or arm itself.it's happen to me before.u can rock the ground wire to see if the hum go away.

lapsan

vortrex

« Reply #33 on: 11 Dec 2012, 04:31 pm »
how can I tell with the meter if it is grounded to the base or arm?  what does "rock" the ground wire mean?

roscoeiii

« Reply #34 on: 11 Dec 2012, 04:36 pm »
Oh, that's right, it is only happening with vinyl, not CD.

You could try running the ground wire from your TT to phono pre and then run it to your amp chassis (loosen a screw and tighten it around the ground wire).

vortrex

« Reply #35 on: 11 Dec 2012, 04:47 pm »
I've tried that, just by touching another ground lead to various places on the amp, but no change.

orientalexpress

« Reply #36 on: 11 Dec 2012, 04:59 pm »
how can I tell with the meter if it is grounded to the base or arm?  what does "rock" the ground wire mean?
the ohm meter will tell you if the groundwire  had continuity to  the tonearm or not.BY moving back and fort the groundwire at the base of the tonearm with phono stage on ,you can heard it if it's loose.

lapsan

roscoeiii

« Reply #37 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:05 pm »
Talked to Mike Pranka about this yet?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #38 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:39 pm »
Have you tried moving the routing of any of your cables, particularly the tonearm cable?  I found in my system that I could affect hum, from none to fairly loud, by adjusting how the tonearm cable was routed to the phono stage.  And this is with a shielded cable. . .

vortrex

« Reply #39 on: 11 Dec 2012, 06:37 pm »
ahhh, ignore anything related to the TT.  I forgot I had troubleshot with Manley and we shorted the inputs to the Chinook and the issue is still there.  now you might say it is the Chinook, but if I put my K&K back in (using the RCA outs) it has the same issue.