Your Favorite 12AX7?

BobM

Re: Your Favorite 12AX7?
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2009, 12:45 pm »
I love my vintage Tung Sols. Tried the 5751's but they didn't work well in my circuit. Also tried a bunch of others, Tele's, Mullards,etc. They all had their own sound which was seductive in their own right, especially in the midrange. But still had their faults of less than optimum extension. The Tung Sol's seem to balance all these traits very well.

I did have one true 1960's Amperex Bugle Boy in my old phono stage that was a phenominal tube. But it didn't have a mate and the new phono stage needs a matched pair. Expensive these days but this is definitely the one to get.

Bob

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2009, 02:08 pm »
The best tube for you is the quietest and matched (if needed) tube you can get in your price range.  I don't care how good in sonics or expensive a tube is if it's microphonic.  I mostly use 12AX7 tubes on my phono stages and any noise will get magnified.  That's why it's worth the money to go with a dependable vendor who will weed the lot for you.  It's pot luck getting things from e-bay.  I have done it but only because they were so damned cheap in bundle deals.  I can usually find a few that's good in a bunch.  When all things are good, I like Telefunkens for phono.

Frihed91

« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2009, 12:04 pm »

If you had to pick 3 tubes for your quickies, what would they be.I ask because in the past 6 months I have aquired a pair of M-80's and a GLA (for my vintage) Polk SDA rig. I've been buying the output tubes from Mike @ quicksilver,,NOS Tesla El-34,and I would like to roll some input tubes in the GLA,,uses a AX7 and 6DJ8, any suggestions  based on experience would be appreciated. NOS please.
Thanks

Well, none of these tubes is way way better than the others.  The Siemans would go off my list because it is so expensive these days:

1950's RCA long Black Plates with D or Square getter
TF Smooth plates
70s Teslas

I'm collecting used 6DJ8s to listen to in several preamps and buffer stages.  Right now, Orange Globe A frames sound the nicest to me, but they are warm.  Then you have to go to early Holland Amperex with white lettering for better balance or early BB.  I think they are almost the same anyway.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2009, 09:05 pm »
My biggest priority for 12AX7s is noise because I use them in a phono stage. What's the general consensus for quiet 12AX7s?
I hear that even the super quiet LPS tubes are not guaranteed to be without noise issues unless you buy them tested for noise. Is this true?

Freo-1

« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2009, 02:45 am »
My biggest priority for 12AX7s is noise because I use them in a phono stage. What's the general consensus for quiet 12AX7s?
I hear that even the super quiet LPS tubes are not guaranteed to be without noise issues unless you buy them tested for noise. Is this true?

Yep.

Unless one tests for low noise, any 12AX7 can be noisy.  Some brands are better than others for noise, but any of them can exhibit some microphonic issues.  Generally, Telefunken have a good overall record for lower noise.  The 7025 is supposed to be matched sections and low noise.  NOS Japan 7025 is an excellent low cost choice in that regard. 

hotroady

« Reply #25 on: 30 Aug 2009, 04:16 pm »
I too think the long, smooth plate Telefunken the best. Accurate bass, and a certain sparkle, that's unmatched.

JackD201

« Reply #26 on: 30 Aug 2009, 04:28 pm »
My two favorites are the Tele Smooth Plates and the Mullard CV4004s.

Frihed91

« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2009, 05:53 pm »
I have since tried the new Blackburn Microtech tube and it is near perfect.  I prefer the old 1950s US tubes, but I would settle for these easily.  My only problem with them is that they are so perfect they bore me after a while.

steve k

« Reply #28 on: 10 Sep 2009, 06:07 pm »
I like the telefunken smooth plates in my linestage and the Sylvania Gold Brand Gold pin grey plate 5751's in my phono stage.
steve