Help! plug Amp directly into wall outlet or use high quality surge protector?

rickmusicman

I am hoping to get my Kismet upgraded Khartago amp soon. I am preparing the space for it and I am wondering if the amp should be plugged into a high quality surge protector, such as a Brick Wall model #PW8R15AUD or an APC G5BLK 9-Outlet, or directly into the wall outlet? What do you do? Thanks  Rick   

A_shah

I am hoping to get my Kismet upgraded Khartago amp soon. I am preparing the space for it and I am wondering if the amp should be plugged into a high quality surge protector, such as a Brick Wall model #PW8R15AUD or an APC G5BLK 9-Outlet, or directly into the wall outlet? What do you do? Thanks  Rick
I plugged my Kismet in Stratos into a PS Audio Power port Classic directly into the wall outlet , as per Klaus instructions  had it previously  with a Pangea audio PC but now I have a Groneberg PC cord,  the rest of my system is plugged into an old Adcom 100 power conditioner which works fine with the TV, Parasound Halo & Oppo 203UHD, Marantz SR5005 (HT) runs only center and back channel , no speakers connected to the Parasound INT.

A_shah

Please post your impressions on Don Sach's amp with the Kartago Kismet when you get it

JCarney

Wall. Klaus will tell you wall as well. I am a former Stratos Glass Ceiling mono's owner and I plugged them into the wall. I did have a dedicated 20 amp circuit just for full disclouser.

JCarney

drummermitchell

Bryston said the same thing year ago especially with power bars.
If the amp needs more current than the PB can handle I'd use the wall.
Bryston started using Torus(BIT)no current loss.
Have been using the Torus X2 for years and no degradation,lots of benefits music wise.
Use to use shunyata,no comparison as it was instantaneous for the better.
If they come out with something better for the music I'll buy it,otherwise me and the music are quite happy..
BTW I use 28's &7's ect.huge difference than straight to the wall as there is power in reserve for musical peaks.
 Was totally shocked with the difference in how the music had grunt,more dynamics ,space ect................................
Just do a home  audition and let your ears decide,n
mine did and NO REGRETS :thumb:.

Phil A

Plug it into the wall.  If you're worried these are cheap enough and you can plug one into the same circuit - http://www.bluecircle.com/page95.html

Early B.

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but the purpose of using a surge protector is for umm... protection. If you plug your amp directly into the wall, then you have limited protection against power surges. If you want or need surge protection, then get the Brick Wall, not the APC. 

rickmusicman

Thanks, after posting, I realized the APC is not what I need. I have been doing research and read up on Panamax as well, but I am leaning towards the Brick Wall.

Early B.

Plug it into the wall.  If you're worried these are cheap enough and you can plug one into the same circuit - http://www.bluecircle.com/page95.html

I bought three of these a few years ago. I had one on the same outlet as my computer components and it didn't work. A surge fried my computer's power supply. I threw them in the trash and invested in some SurgeX power conditioners. Haven't had a problem since I switched to SurgeX (same patented circuitry as the Brick Wall).   

JackD

Rick

If you are uncomfortable with straight into the wall due to surges the the Brick Wall or SurgeX are you best bets at a "reasonable" price.  They both have some current limiting but nothing like the standard consumer products. The one you first listed is a safe bet. 

Delta77

Spend your $ on a nice receptacle ($25-125) & custom made cables ($150-350 each) for your preamp & amp first..  See if it's "good enough" for your needs.. (Klaus say Plug into the WALL) .

That is all I have done so far , for my system..  I thought if it wasn't "good enough" , & I still needed power conditioning at least I would have some nice wires to connect to the power conditioner & a nice receptacle for the conditioner to plug into.. 

Hey, I know I'm new and low budget , but  I bought a "Perfect plug" and (3) power cables From Cullen Cable (oppo/preamp/amp) for my system...
 It got rid of a "short wave" noise that was in my system , (every now and again)... 

And as far as I can tell, I have more detail, across the board , & slightly better staging as well..   

Plenty of brands out there , I am drooling over the Triode Wire Labs brand ,but took a chance on Cullen Cables do to budget and Gear to Price ratio (electronics/wire)..

Photon46

I don't know if this is an option for your situation, but if you're in a single family home your utility company may offer you the option of installing surge protection for your entire home. Our utility company offers an option for high quality surge protection installed at the home's power inlet and I've been very pleased with it. No degradation of audio sound and it frees me up to use whatever power treatments I want without worrying about the lack of surge protection. Here in central Florida, lightning capital of the world, you'd BETTER worry about lighting strikes. Before installing the whole home protection, we had a lightning strike to to the ground outside the home near the underground utilities junction and it fried several low voltage circuits in the home like the door bell circuit and the circuit board in the garage door opener.

Phil A

I don't know if this is an option for your situation, but if you're in a single family home your utility company may offer you the option of installing surge protection for your entire home. Our utility company offers an option for high quality surge protection installed at the home's power inlet and I've been very pleased with it. No degradation of audio sound and it frees me up to use whatever power treatments I want without worrying about the lack of surge protection. Here in central Florida, lightning capital of the world, you'd BETTER worry about lighting strikes. Before installing the whole home protection, we had a lightning strike to to the ground outside the home near the underground utilities junction and it fried several low voltage circuits in the home like the door bell circuit and the circuit board in the garage door opener.

Nothing will help with a lightning strike (in central FL too).  Towards the latter part of March, it (a lightning strike) took out my whole house surge protection, and I had local surge devices too and stuff still was damaged (and probably some of the things I have that didn't immediately show damage will have a shortened life span - dishwasher just went - they care coming tomorrow).  There was no rhyme or reason or logical order as to what got damaged.  A Yalu Bulala saved some stuff on a circuit but not not others.  I had whole house surge protection put in when the house went up and then noticed the unit wasn't functioning (probably caused by a surge) and then I had another put in and that was what got taken out in March.  Yes it is better than doing nothing but won't take care of every instance - https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/surge-protection

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
IMO the answer depends on if you live in an area with lightning strikes..
Furman used to guarantee against lightning strikes with it's top of the line conditioners..
(I actually bought my used one from such a user, as soon as the lightning warranty ended, he bought a new one, and sold me the old one!)

I live in a big building, and typically such places never see lightning damage to the AC lines.
This makes me think perhaps small structures/homes are just not well protected? from lightning strikes??

And aside from the lightning surge problem, the real answer is listen for yourself and decide.
Unless you really need the lightning/surge protection, the answer is in your ears.

rickmusicman

Lightening isn't much of an issue where I live, I live in Alaska and most of my concerns are with spikes and even low voltage. Looking at the Panamax M5300 looks like an option because it claims to shut off power to audio gear when high or low voltage is sensed and operates as a purge protector. Anyone have this brand that can comment? The Brick Wall looks great as well, the Panamax is on sell now so I want to make a decision soon. Thanks for everyone's help. Rick

jea48

Lightening isn't much of an issue where I live, I live in Alaska and most of my concerns are with spikes and even low voltage. Looking at the Panamax M5300 looks like an option because it claims to shut off power to audio gear when high or low voltage is sensed and operates as a purge protector. Anyone have this brand that can comment? The Brick Wall looks great as well, the Panamax is on sell now so I want to make a decision soon. Thanks for everyone's help. Rick

I live in Alaska and most of my concerns are with spikes and even low voltage. Looking at the Panamax M5300 looks like an option because it claims to shut off power to audio gear when high or low voltage is sensed and operates as a purge protector.

For your situation a standard SPD, (Surge Protection Device), will not provide any protection against voltage spikes, dips, sags, low voltage. SPD's are designed to/help control over voltage transients. Whether the transients are caused by something like a motor turning on or off or a transient caused by a nearby lightning storm. In your case lightning is not an issue, as you say.

If the Panamax M5300 will suite your needs then you might do a search on the Net for reviews on its' performance. Will it have a negative impact on the SQ of your audio system? That's something you may have to judge for yourself. 

EDIT:
http://novo.press/panamax-m5300-pm-power-management-centre/

rickmusicman

A_Shah,

I will let you know how the Odessey and Don Sachs sound together. It's been 13 weeks waiting for the amp and 6 for the pre-amp. I hope to get them soon!! Rick

Delta77

Yeah , I'm very interested into your impressions of the Don Sachs as well. Especially with the Odyssey Audio amp.  You have the Tekton D.I.'s right?
I have ( oppo/candela/stratos/seas pendrgons), I love it,(my system) but if I get the urge to upgrade I will know which direction to go.... Thanks BURT...