SOLD Garrard 401/Long Dog PS/Zilla Bearing/Ritchlite Plinth/Amcan Foo

jwr159

I have decided to go entirely digital.

Up for sale is my Garrard 401. I put a ton of research into this project. Here is an explanation and history and the details of the components that I selected and used.

Garrard 401 – I purchased the deck on eBay in the UK in 2018. I had the seller ship directly to Classic Turntable Company (CTC). Roy did a complete service and repainted the chassis black. The table looks beautiful and runs perfectly. Since I have not used it much lately all it needs is a standard lube.

The table is now set up to run on 50hz with the Long Dog PS and the 50Hz pulley.

Extra 401 Parts: I have a new/never used Audiosilente idler wheel, a pair of bronze sintered motor bushings, and new coils for the motor. These were all purchased by me with the intent of having them installed by Roy @ CTC. However, he said they were not needed, and hence they have never been used. I also have the original 60Hz pulley and bearing. All these parts are included in the sale.

Bearing: The bearing has been upgraded to the “Zilla” bearing. The Zilla bearing was machined in Italy, and uses a combination of grease and oil like the Shindo bearing. It is intended to support a heavy platter. Here is a good read on this bearing. https://www.theanalogdept.com/gzilla.html

Platter: I acquired the Zilla bearing to purchase a heavy platter. But as I investigated the net effect of a heavy platter, I concluded that a well-damped lighter platter is a better option for the Garrard tables. The table includes the stock platter with George Merrill’s cork/rubber platter mat, rubber rings around the periphery, and Dynamat damping material on the underside of the platter. If interested in why I decided against a heavy platter, let me know. I will be happy to share my opinions.

Power Supply: Long Dog was purchased from Robyatt Audio in July, 2021. The Long Dog is considered the best of the after market power supplies for Garrard tables. My unit is in like new condition.

The Pinth: This is another topic I heavily investigated. In the end, I concluded that a skeletal design was the best option because the sound is more open and airy, while the bass with more conventional heavy plinths can be a bit muddy. The top layer is made from a combination of (a) 1” thick Ritchlite with a 1” thick skirt of solid maple around the periphery, and (b) the lower layer is made from 1.5” thick solid maple. Ritchlite is similar to densified wood products like Panzerholtz, except it uses sheets of paper compressed in a phenolic resin instead of thin sheets of wood like Panzerholtz. Ritchlite is the same material Fern & Roby uses for their Montrose TT because it is dense/heavy and non-resonant. The arm board has been cut for an SME type 12-inch arm.

Footers: Between the top and bottom tiers of the plinth, I used 3 Amcam footers. These are beautifully machined copper footers, that are screwed into the upper plinth, are filled with a viscous damping fluid, and have a silicon rubber top that contacts the underside of the top tier of the plinth.
https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1216/Great_Audiophile_Gift_2016/AmCan_Audio_Isolator_Footers.htm

Disclaimer: In the interest of full disclosure, the plinth cosmetically is not perfect. The stain on the wood is not 100% consistent (evident in some of the photos) and a few indents in the wood of the lower tier due to the spikes on the footers (not visible with the upper tier positioned on the bottom tier).

Not included: The tonearm, cartridge, and rubber feet under the bottom tier of the plinth are NOT
INCLUDED.

Shipping: I envision shipping will include three boxes. I have the original boxes for the 401 from CTC and Long dog. I will have to source a box for the plinth & footers.
401 Box: 24 lbs, 16”x16”x12”
Long Dog: 12 lbs, 17”x17”x11”
Box for plinth – TBD, will be well packed with corner protectors and lots of foam.

Cost: $3000 + actual shipping + PP friends and family. The price is fair for an almost turnkey Garrard 401 system (just need an SME style arm and cart), but I can be somewhat flexible.

Thanks very much for looking.

« Last Edit: 5 May 2024, 05:53 pm by jwr159 »