More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

zek

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #440 on: 20 Jul 2019, 09:02 am »
I'll start a new thread on these instead.
:thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #441 on: 20 Jul 2019, 10:15 am »
That's really pushing it for C and C.  It's an extension of the other Sabaj DACs so I'm not screaming foul, but I don't think $500 comments are in the spirit of C and C in general.

wushuliu

« Reply #442 on: 20 Jul 2019, 02:04 pm »
That's really pushing it for C and C.  It's an extension of the other Sabaj DACs so I'm not screaming foul, but I don't think $500 comments are in the spirit of C and C in general.

ok. The Schiit Modi Multibit is <$300, does that work for C&C?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #443 on: 20 Jul 2019, 04:38 pm »
Oh yes, of course.  And I'm not really objecting to the D5, it's a natural extension of the D3/D2 discussion so we can overlook the price tag for this thread.  Mostly I just don't want the general membership to think it's okay to start posting about $500-600 DACs.  When a thread is so interesting with such valuable information we can push the envelope a bit, it's fun.

wushuliu

« Reply #444 on: 20 Jul 2019, 06:21 pm »
Oh yes, of course.  And I'm not really objecting to the D5, it's a natural extension of the D3/D2 discussion so we can overlook the price tag for this thread.  Mostly I just don't want the general membership to think it's okay to start posting about $500-600 DACs.  When a thread is so interesting with such valuable information we can push the envelope a bit, it's fun.

Got it. No prob. Thanks.

wushuliu

« Reply #445 on: 21 Jul 2019, 05:19 am »
Modi Multibit: Yikes. Was excited for this one, but we're definitely not getting along. Kind of hurts my ears, even with the phones at a distance. I suspect coax would improve things more than usual (kind of got the noisy usb fatigue of older usb dacs), but unless there's a dramatic change in presentation it's not my cup of tea.

Mortsnets

« Reply #446 on: 21 Jul 2019, 05:56 am »
Modi Multibit: Yikes. Was excited for this one, but we're definitely not getting along. Kind of hurts my ears, even with the phones at a distance. I suspect coax would improve things more than usual (kind of got the noisy usb fatigue of older usb dacs), but unless there's a dramatic change in presentation it's not my cup of tea.

Definitely try it with coax, the only way I use mine.

wushuliu

« Reply #447 on: 21 Jul 2019, 06:36 am »
Definitely try it with coax, the only way I use mine.

Trying it now. It helps, takes the edge off. But it's still a no-go. I think my expectations were too high. Reminds me of a full range driver, kind of a natural coherence you don't usually get with delta sigma dacs, but there's a peakiness in the mids that doesn't work for me.

Mortsnets

« Reply #448 on: 21 Jul 2019, 11:18 pm »
Good analogy (single driver).  I think mine works well in my headphone system because of the associated mellow sounding gear: Liquid Spark amp and AQ Nighthawk headphones.

viggen

« Reply #449 on: 24 Jul 2019, 05:35 pm »
D5 and D70 are c&c but are not peanuts.  I'd love to read more about these two.

wushuliu

« Reply #450 on: 24 Jul 2019, 05:54 pm »
D5 and D70 are c&c but are not peanuts.  I'd love to read more about these two.

There is a separate thread for the D5 in C&C...

bferguson

« Reply #451 on: 7 Aug 2019, 08:49 pm »
SMSL M8A might be worth consideration $195 on amazon...recommended component on musicservertips.com- they have a review...I am using it with a linear power supply that I bought off ebay for about $50

Uses ES9038Q2M from ESS chipset

Anyway sounds absolutely horrible for first 40 hours, then really pretty good

iinterval

« Reply #453 on: 10 Oct 2019, 01:56 pm »
My phone da3 uses usb-c port it works fine with usb otb with my Samsung Galaxy S8 and Nokia Lumia 638.

https://www.wishhow.com/nokia/lumia-638-2634.html

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #455 on: 11 Oct 2019, 12:24 pm »
No, it runs on a SMPS which means it cannot run on USB power.  I'm really interested as well for my bedroom system.  I wonder if there's any reviews on sound quality.

wushuliu

« Reply #456 on: 11 Oct 2019, 02:14 pm »
Just keep in mind the Schiit Modi 3 uses the same AKM dac and is only $99. My first concern with the M6 is the very old cheap JRC opamp, where most other dacs now are using newer (<15yrs) TI opamps.

zek

« Reply #457 on: 11 Oct 2019, 06:47 pm »
... the Schiit Modi 3 uses the same AKM dac ...
No, Schiit Modi 3 uses AK4490 + C-Media CM6631A, and SMSL M6 uses AK4452 + 2nd generation X-MOS USB (support up to DSD512).

wushuliu

« Reply #458 on: 12 Oct 2019, 12:23 am »
No, Schiit Modi 3 uses AK4490 + C-Media CM6631A, and SMSL M6 uses AK4452 + 2nd generation X-MOS USB (support up to DSD512).

Ah, Ok. The previous version of the M6 had the CM6631A. I think the 4490 is technically better. So six and one half dozen of the other. Regardless, that JRC opamp is a red flag for me. Especially if you can't swap it.

But maybe someone will give it a listen and report back.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #459 on: 12 Oct 2019, 12:53 pm »
The Modi doesn't have a headphone amp or an optical input.  I know my situation for my particular bedroom system isn't catholic, but I need three digital inputs, RCA, optical, and USB, as well as a volume control, with a price around a C note, that will decode most all hirez formats.  If the volume controls the RCA outs this could be what I need.  As that system is mostly TV with music mixed in ultimate sound quality although important, isn't the very top of the list.  Really good will be just fine.