• Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Music Servers
« on: 25 Jan 2018, 12:38 am »
What server are you using?

Phil A

Re: Music Servers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2018, 01:31 am »
In my main system, I use a Lumin U1. I have in a couple of other systems Windows 10 servers using JRiver.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2018, 02:06 am »
Roon core running on an Intel i7 NUC (Windows 10 - latest) with 16GB Kingston HyperX RAM and two Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Internal SSD's. Controlled by a 9.7" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (32GB) running Roon control.

AvFan

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2018, 04:03 pm »
Cambridge Audio CXN with a Synology 218+ NAS w/4TB drives attached to Linksys router.  I'm in the process of moving my music off a Mac laptop and desktop to the NAS.  Next step will be to install a backup drive for the NAS and then delete the music files from the two Macs.  I'm testing out whether I like the Cambridge Audio app better than Synology's Audio Station plugin.  I'm not a IT person so this whole thing is a tedious process to make sure I don't do something stupid like delete all my music.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2018, 05:11 pm »
Innous Zenith Mk2 to Aqua FromulaxHD DAC. No Tidal, no Roon just iPeng remote. Do not download anything. Put ALL my Cds in server. Good enough for me.
When I want better sonics I use the Aqua La Vida dedicated 44.1 transport. Works for me.

charles

PSB Guy

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2018, 10:01 pm »
Salk Streamplayer Generation II running MPD controlled by Rompr on my Samsung S7 phone. Feeds an AVA Vision DAC.

Cornelis
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2018, 12:34 pm by PSB Guy »

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2018, 12:46 am »
Totaldac Server with the Totaldac Gigifilter USB Cable. OMG is it amazing...........

mritschdorff

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2018, 02:28 pm »
Salk Steamplayer Generation 3. Jim's a great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable with streaming technology.

opusthepenguin

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2018, 02:55 am »
Libreelec player nas4free server, but watch more movies on it than listen to music

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2018, 04:26 am »
Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer (USB out-Ethernet in).  Fed from a (headless) Mac Mini and Apple router, running Audirvana+.  I oversample all PCM to DSD 128 in A+, DSD plays at its native rate.
Controlled via Audirvana+ remote app on iPad, and mini is controlled by a screen share (when necessary).  I do not like to have an actual "server" in my audio system, by using the Rendu all the crappy, noisy, commercial computer gear is far away from the audio system, in another room, keeping noise to the minimum.

skunark

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2018, 06:25 am »
Bryston BDP-1 with local HDD (MPD) - main room paired with the BDA-1
Synology NAS with a swarm of raspberry pi 3s (archlinux, saltstack, MPD) with hifiberry hats and iPower supplies in various rooms around the house. 
Linux desktop with two cd-roms for quick ripping (archlinux, saltstack, python audio tools (with exact audio copy), beets for additional tag and image management, couple of custom scripts to automate the rip and sync files to the NAS and BDP)
Both the NAS and desktop use btrfs filesystem with checksum scans to catch disk rot on media files

I use Soundirok app to control them

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2018, 07:20 am »
ODroid HC1 "$49 NAS" with 4TB ST4000LM024 drive and fast SD card, running MinimServer, BubbleUPnPServer, and Samba. Control by Linn Kazoo or Lumin app.

Sparks

« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2018, 03:06 am »
Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer (USB out-Ethernet in).  Fed from a (headless) Mac Mini and Apple router, running Audirvana+.  I oversample all PCM to DSD 128 in A+, DSD plays at its native rate.
Controlled via Audirvana+ remote app on iPad, and mini is controlled by a screen share (when necessary).  I do not like to have an actual "server" in my audio system, by using the Rendu all the crappy, noisy, commercial computer gear is far away from the audio system, in another room, keeping noise to the minimum.

Are your music files stored on the Mac or a peripheral connected to the Mac?
If not, where?
Do you use Spinners or SSD?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2018, 02:50 am »
Are your music files stored on the Mac or a peripheral connected to the Mac?
If not, where?
Do you use Spinners or SSD?

As I am using the Signature Rendu SE, what goes on "behind the curtain", 50' feet away, on another floor of my home, does not matter to SQ.  I store music locally on the Mini, on a spinning drive.  My library is not huge, so a I have a 2TB drive in there.  No need for SSDs or anything, the noise of the mini matters not for the audio system, as it is not directly connected and nor is it close to the music system.  This is the big advantage of networked audio distribution.  In fact it is the entire point of the Rendu products, to get the noise and problems of spinning drives, computers, SMPS etc, away for the audio system.