Well Tempered labs classic vs Well temperd Rererence

daveyonthecoast

Hello Friends
I have a WT Classic, from the 90"s, but needs rewiring!!, I bought this unit from interstate, and was assured, from the dealier, that it is going to be sent, it arrived, with the arm in a mess, with silcone, spiliet everware, it was sent back, for a rehaul, from a well known, audio guy!! down here!!, When I tried to connect, the connects, which are hard wired, things, went wrong, when I attempered to connect, to my phono stage, a very loud hum, came though, the left speaker, It seems to me that the phono cables, or the hard wire from the cartridge, which has "hum", may be, had blowen the bass driver, in one of the speakers??
It has the Marigo, arm clamp, in place, but the guy that tried set it up, maybe used a lighter, silicone, then the one, thats comes with the TT!!, he makes his own turntable here in Aust, he is overseas and won/t be back for a few weeks!!
I have a boxed new "Well Tempered Labs Refrence", that was left to me by my late brother, it has never been unpacked!!
I wish to know will the Rerence, be better, then a rewire classic arm, with "cardas Litz", and Marigo labs arm clamp,
What do all of you think
Many Thanks
David Spry

/mp

Re: Well Tempered labs classic vs Well temperd Rererence
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2015, 02:47 pm »
FWIW, my speculation, & that's all it is as I do not have experience with the WT mods you listed, is a WT Reference will be better than the WT mess you described.  I have read in this forum the opinion the current WT are better than the WT reference.

threadkiller

Re: Well Tempered labs classic vs Well temperd Rererence
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2015, 09:29 pm »
Blimey! What a mess you have going..

My 1/2 cent- shuck the whole mess and get an Amadeus. I speak from years of first hand experience..
You've a dealer down there, you sound like you most definitely need a good dealer, so let him have at it and rid yourself such headaches. Life's too short for rubbish.
That is nice/sad about the Ref, yet the Amadeus is a clear winner there.
Good luck!
Charlie