Looking for inexpensive stereo equipment rack recommendations

duff138

Equipment will include a VPI mk4 turntable, so it'll have to be wide enough and sturdy enough to hold the turntable.

Are there any brands out there in the $200-300 range that are worth looking at?

AllanS

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Since this is the C&C circle I'd be remiss if we didn't acknowledge the ol college dorm standby of cinder blocks and whatever random shelving can be aquired for free.  And the somewhat classier 8" glass block with Home Depot shelving.  A little black spray paint assists the cinder block appearance and covers any flaws on the shelving.  An alternative suggested by several members here is one large, low shelf to improve imagining if the rack is to be between the speakers.  A third suggestion is an IKEA Lack side table for the turntable, usually recommended for Rega tables where lightweight is part of the design.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Timber Nation can also be affordable if you shop carefully and is well built.  I also used Ikea nightstand for a small system.

dpatters

I’d start with Pangea Audio.
https://www.audioadvisor.com/new-pgvul3rk-blk-blk?sku=NEW-PGVUL3RK-BLK-BLK
I have one of these in a secondary system. Looks good and is stable. Take a look at my secondary system in my profile to see it pictured with equipment

Don P

duff138

Thanks the Pangea Audio seem to be exactly what I need.

js1955

« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2024, 01:04 pm by js1955 »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
I use a budget audio and TV stand, I can't remember what brand it was (Sauder?Salamander Designs?). I can't remember where I got it from (Best Buy?/Circuit City?Tweeter?). It can't remember the cost ($150?, $200?).

I can't even find a modern version of it. The audio rack is just like a Pangea rack with four tubular posts and four equipment platforms. The TV stand is two wider equipment platforms.

Zuman

Re: Looking for inexpensive stereo equipment rack recommendations
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2024, 01:14 pm »
Another vote for Pangea. I have both Solidsteel and Pangea, and the Pangea is pretty comparable at a much lower price. A 4-shelf rack with their X-Brace side supports is $249.95 with your choice of black, rosenut, or carbon fiber finishes.

Delta77

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2024, 01:41 pm »
Klaus (Odyssey audio) can custom make whatever you are in need of. He will work with you on a integrated design for your particular setup. And usually give you a decent price. The more you spend with Klaus the more he gives back in discounts.
https://odysseyaudio.com/massive-racks-2/

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2024, 02:08 pm »
Why not repurpose something?
This was $100 from a neighbor.  I knocked the back out and added a metal cross bar.

js1955

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2024, 02:17 pm »
Klaus (Odyssey audio) can custom make whatever you are in need of. He will work with you on a integrated design for your particular setup. And usually give you a decent price. The more you spend with Klaus the more he gives back in discounts.
https://odysseyaudio.com/massive-racks-2/

Clearly outside of OP's budget.

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2024, 02:42 pm »
Pangea and Monoprice Monolith seems to the the cheap and cheerful go to brands. If you have the interest and patience you might be able to find a nice condition Salamander Synergy, Salamander Archetype rack or other brand on FB Marketplace or Craig's List for a C&C price.

I am kicking myself for not picking up a nice used stand from FB marketplace when they I casually saw them. One was $30 and the other $40.

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2024, 06:21 pm »
IF DIY is OK and the cinder blocks and wood shelves ain't gonna do it for you - google Flexi racks.  I built one in 1993 I am still using, and another smaller one in the last 10 years or so for my media closet.

Threaded rod and hardware easy to come by from local supply store.  Wood panels can be MDF through anything you can think up.

My earliest version (pre internet so I pretty much HAVE to have invented it...  :duh:) was 3 2x6's laminated together to build 24 inch wide shelves.  Drilled the holes for the threaded rod and assembly is simple - and easy to raise and lower sections in the future as gear sizes shift around.

duff138

« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2024, 09:23 pm »
IF DIY is OK and the cinder blocks and wood shelves ain't gonna do it for you - google Flexi racks.  I built one in 1993 I am still using, and another smaller one in the last 10 years or so for my media closet.

Threaded rod and hardware easy to come by from local supply store.  Wood panels can be MDF through anything you can think up.

My earliest version (pre internet so I pretty much HAVE to have invented it...  :duh:) was 3 2x6's laminated together to build 24 inch wide shelves.  Drilled the holes for the threaded rod and assembly is simple - and easy to raise and lower sections in the future as gear sizes shift around.

I actually used the threaded rod/MDF  method 20+ years ago when I first set up my stereo.  Actually found a picture here in my gallery.  My wife hated the look of it then!  Need to get something a liitle better looking this time around I think.