Klipsch RF-7 or Alternatives for HT

yunaforever009

Klipsch RF-7 or Alternatives for HT
« on: 8 Mar 2013, 06:15 pm »
Good morning all,

This is my first post so I guess I'll have to begin it with saying, "Hi, name's William, and I've been touched by the audio bug!"

Recently engaged and in an actual house as opposed to a college dorm (Also recently graduated) so have been in the process of moving from in ear to home theater. (Been an avid reader of Head-Fi for a while) My fiancee swears by his 20 year old Cerwin Vegas but I'm pushing for us to get a pair of higher end speakers and have been impressed so far by what people have said about the Klipsch RF series (82 and 7s) Just bought us a Marantz SR AVR for pushing the speakers (a very big upgrade over the Onkyo we had) and now am considering the speakers.

I have the opportunity to get a pair of RF-7s for ~1,100 from a nearby friend or I can wait and buy a set of RF-82 iis so that I use the newer crossover set up as opposed to the original RF series. Considering how people have spoken about the RC-64 pairing better than the RC-62, I'd go for the RC-64 ii after getting the forward towers and then surrounds, well, worry about those later.

Anyone have any thoughts on RF-7 vs RF-7 ii vs RF-82 ii? It seems that most folk chalk the difference between the 7 and 7ii to price and place them above the RF-82 in terms of sound performance. I'm most curious if the sound characteristics (the Klipsch brightness for example) will change from the 82 to the 7... Anyone?

With highest regards for any aural assistance,
William

neekomax

Re: Klipsch RF-7 or Alternatives for HT
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2013, 04:32 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle, William!

I just wanted to reply because I saw that no one else has thus far. Klipsch (with maybe the exception of Klipschorns) doesn't seem to be super popular around these parts, not sure why, but I think there may be bias against anything sold on Amazon or Best Buy (with a couple of special case exemptions). That's just my perception.

To me, a big advantage is that you will probably have with those speakers is that they will be pretty easily auditionable (especially your friend's pair, I assume). Dual 8" woofers and horn loaded tweeter is pretty good tech for $1,100, I think.  That is, if they are well designed and executed.

I was in your position about a year and a half ago, in that I finally decided that I really wanted good sound at home, and I felt that speakers are really the most important part of that equation. I used this forum as a resource, and got a lot of input from the more experienced members in terms of what sort of speaker might work best for my room and needs (it worked out very well for me, and I now have a pair of speakers that I could probably live with forever). That's maybe the best place to start- instead of a focus on a particular brand, maybe consider your room, music/HT tastes, size and budget constraints, and aesthetic sensibilities.

That said, your ears will tell you what you want in the end. But stay open to possibilities, there A LOT of ways to go...

ddafoe

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2013, 12:55 am »
I'm using the bookshelf (but good still good size) RB-81IIs with an RC-62II and RS-52IIs for my 5.1 system and I like them.
I spend most of my audio/video $$ on two channel but still wanted a separate 5.1 system and I thought the Klipsch were a good choice for the $$.
They are very efficient so you do not need a big pricy powerful amplifier to get lots of punch and volume for the movies and their detailed horns work well for movie dialog and soundtracks.

If you plan to do lots of 2 channel listening, there may be better options depending on your musical taste.   I would recommend getting the smaller but new II to try and get as much refinement as possible.   The RF-7s are monsters so unless you have a very large room I would get the 82s.   I was tempted by the big RC-64II but it was out of my price range and the Klipsch dealer thought the RB-81IIs and RC-62II were plenty for my room size (11x17); which they are...

Another option is to look for used Heritage models.   
I personally prefer the sound (and look) of the Heritage line and you can get some great deals on older series II models (e.g. Heresy II and Cornwall II), and used Heresy IIIs can sometimes be had for < $1000.

Best of luck; it is fun hobby!

FireGuy

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2013, 01:54 am »
Welcome to Audio Circle, William!

I just wanted to reply because I saw that no one else has thus far. Klipsch (with maybe the exception of Klipschorns) doesn't seem to be super popular around these parts, not sure why, but I think there may be bias against anything sold on Amazon or Best Buy (with a couple of special case exemptions). That's just my perception.

Hello William -  First, in regards to the Best Buy perception...they now sell Bowers & Wilkins products along with Klipsch, Mirage and Martin Logan.  Just an FYI.

Unless your listening environment is massive, I've never been a fan of horn tweeters...and that's my audio perception.    Dome or ribbon tweeters in HT rooms seem (to my ears) give a much better sound in a smaller,  more intimate space.

That said, I've had great success dealing with on-line speakers companies like Axiom, Aperion, Emotiva and Ascend Acoustics.  Not sure if you have considered these vendors so I'll give them a mention.    Of those vendors above Axiom has been for me a cost Vs. performance champion.  Given your budget, you may want to give a look at their M60 tower.  If you visit their Deal or Auction section they can be had for $1K.  Good luck.