Jim Winey, Magnepan inventor, has died.

Kurtamus

Jim Winey, Magnepan inventor, has died.
« on: 12 Jan 2024, 11:07 pm »
Saw this posted at the Planar Speaker Asylum and also on Audiogon.  He was 89 yrs old.  RIP Jim, and thanks for your work, I enjoy the fruits of your labor every day.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2024, 12:13 am by Kurtamus »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Jim Winey has died.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2024, 11:48 pm »
Saw this posted at the Planar Speaker Asylum and also on Audiogon.  He was 89 yrs old.  RIP Jim, and thanks for your work, I enjoy the fruits of your labor every day.
Dont know who exactly was Jim Winey but
RIP

rlee8394

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2024, 12:05 am »
He started Magnepan.

josh358

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2024, 12:29 am »
He started Magnepan.
And invented the planar magnetic loudspeaker.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Jim Winey, Magnepan inventor, has died.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2024, 02:50 am »
Very sad.  RIP Mr Winey

The Magnepan MG-!!B's with VMPS Standard subs were my first really good speakers. 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2024, 03:12 am »
Oh, Jeeze, that is bad news.
RIP, Mr. Winey, your inventions brought happiness to who knows how many people.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/jim-winey-1934-2024/

jjss49

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2024, 03:22 am »
legend in this world
lived a full life, successful
leaves a tremendous legacy, his wonderful products brought (and continues to bring) so much joy to so so many around the world
rest in peace j w

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2024, 03:30 am »
RIP Mr. Winey.  My condolences to his loved ones.

His speakers have brought countless hours of enjoyment to my life.

josh358

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2024, 04:19 am »
 only met him once, but he really was a wonderful man. His enthusiasm as he discussed his system and the experiments he was performing was almost boyish. I remember thinking "friend for life."

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2024, 10:58 am »
Deepest sympathies to family and friends of one of the greatest pioneers in audio.  I first heard Maggie's many decades ago at a dealer in Ohio.  Loved the sound ever since, I've been on and off with the speakers over the years.  Now in a period without them in the home I keep thinking about going back.  Jim will be missed.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2024, 01:18 pm »
Mr. Winey while working at 3M on a magnet type material product was sitting down in the boys room, looked up at the perforated ceiling tile, the light bulb went off thinking tranparency...

I bought my MG-IIB's many years ago powered by Audio Research. I was blown away by the midrange and how they could reproduce the human voice in space.
Then I heard the Tympani's...

RIP Sir.
You brought many hours of pleasure to my ears.

twitch54

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2024, 01:57 pm »
RIP, having owned several pairs of Jims speakers over the years we can be thankful for his contribution to the industry for sure !

Mike B.

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2024, 02:22 pm »
A true innovator. I purchased a pair of magneplanar 1B loudspeakers when Audio Research Corp was the sales outlet. I powered them with a ARC 76a amp and SP3-a-1 preamp. RIP Jim

Chops

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2024, 01:17 am »
When I first heard the MMG's and MGLR-1's back in the late 90's, I fell in love with the magneplanar sound, as well as the "open baffle" sound in general. Ever since then, the majority of my purchases and DIY designs have always gravitated towards open baffles and planars. Precisely why I own and love a pair of Magnepan 1.7i's now.

R.I.P. Mr Winey, and thank you for all that you have done over the years.

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2024, 02:03 am »
Hey!

My first pair of a real Hi-End speakers were Maggie 1.5QR I bought used from Stereo Exchange here in NYC back in the late 1990's.

I was in my last year of high school back then and was curious about Magnepan ads I saw in audio mags. So, one day I went to Lyric and to their credit that they let a high school kid audition the Maggie. I think it was Mike Kay himself that took me to a room where there were a pair of Maggie there and I handed him my Nirvana "Nervermind" CD. I sat listened to two tracks, got up and thanks him for his time.

Although I couldn't afford to buy those big Maggie at Lyric. But the seed was sown. The follow years, wandering into Stereo Exchange I saw the 1.5QR I mentioned above. Of course I didn't have enough money, but if I remembered correctly they let me do a layaway on them.

Sadly, most Maggie from that period suffer from wire separation due to glue used during that time. Although, I don't have Maggie in my system now, but they do have a special place in my heart. Actually, I even thought of getting a pair of the LRS+ just for fun, perhaps someday.

Thank you Jim, for thinking outside the box and left a big impact on the audio world.

josh358

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2024, 02:40 am »
A nice obit from Jonathan Valin at The Absolute Sound:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/jim-winey-1934-2024/

I only met Jim once, but it was clear to me in the short time we spent together that he was a wonderful man.