New member new to Spatial

Rushca01

New member new to Spatial
« on: 22 Aug 2020, 08:43 pm »
Hello,

New member and new to spatial, a member on another forum recommended spatial so here I am to check it out.  I am looking to purchase new speakers for my dedicate 2 channel setup.

Current specs:
Pre: McIntosh C2300
Amp: McIntosh MC402
DAC: Schiit Yggy
Streamer: Node 2
TT: Vpi Prime
Cables: Interconnects are blue jean, power are cardas

Current speakers are Paradigm 95f but I am moving those back to be my dedicated home theater speakers.  My budget is between 5-7,500 which seems to be a black hole for speakers.  I have been primarily looking at Focal (used) 1038 and Kanta 3 (yes I found a dealer offering show demos for 7,000). 

Music is eclectic I can rock out to Queen, Boston, some mid 90’s rap, John Mayer, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Dave Matthews, Mat Kearney, Beck, EDM/chill, Nora Jones, Lynsey Stirling, Nills Lofgren, and love turning the lights down low and listening to 70’s acoustic music.  Only thing I don’t listen to is classical music. 

I’m new to OB speakers but from YouTube reviews they get rave reviews.  I have been focusing on the X5 and X3 even though they stretch the budget a bit. 

Appreciate any input

geerock

Re: New member new to Spatial
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2020, 12:47 am »
I haven't owned a box speaker in 30 years.  I've been using dipoles with the latest and best being the X5's I purchased early this year.  It plays everything well and that AMT tweeter is probably the finest made to date.  You certainly have plenty of amplification with that mc402 being one of the finest amps to be made by McIntosh IMHO.  And the X5's really respond well to tubes so the c2300 really will work well and add that tube sound.  I use mine with a tube Don Sachs pre and either a Carver 275 or the LTA Reference 40 with a tube DAC also.  Love the combo.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2020, 02:25 am »
You're looking in the right place for OB. Spatial will but a big smile on your face- first when they meet your budget, then when you hear them.

Rushca01

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2020, 02:43 am »
Thanks for the replies, I haven’t ruled out the M3 Saphire as well...hard choice between the M series and X series.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2020, 04:30 am »
Buy either of the X series and don't look back.  Love my X5s.

Rushca01

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2020, 05:22 pm »
Does anyone run a M3 sapphire with something like a REL sub?  Interested to see how this combo compares to the X series.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2020, 05:32 pm »
Powered OB bass is the way to go.  X-series all the way.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2020, 09:09 pm »
Does anyone run a M3 sapphire with something like a REL sub?  Interested to see how this combo compares to the X series.
I have the M3’s and have yet to add a sub. I get some amazing clarity from them but not the booming bass like from a sub or powered box. I’m not convinced I really need or want that as the music sounds so pure!
I came from Vandersteens and understand the desire for that heart stopping bass but in my room with treatments I am satisfied. I do hear what the proponents of the X series are saying but it was out of my budget and in my 16x20 room it’s just fantastic as is. Either way, you will be impressed IMO.

Rushca01

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2020, 09:52 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I really am thinking I’m leaning towards an M3 with something like a Rythmic sub since they are servo driven instead of the REL.  A separate sub would allow me cater the bass to my taste at least in my way of thinking.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2020, 11:07 pm »
Rushca01

Consider your room and the place(s) you listen from. The M-series dome MRT and the X-series AMT with controlled directivity have different dispersion patterns and consequently, different placement/seating requirements for optimum performance.

Rushca01

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2020, 11:32 pm »
Rushca01

Consider your room and the place(s) you listen from. The M-series dome MRT and the X-series AMT with controlled directivity have different dispersion patterns and consequently, different placement/seating requirements for optimum performance.

Good point, what should I be looking for?  This is in the basement and it’s relatively wide open. 

Standing a few feet in front of the TV

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2020, 12:10 am »
The X5 woofers are powered up to 90hz, so you have the ability to change the level to suit. Clayton's take on it is if you're going to blend another sub with them, you'd cross them over at ~30-40 hz anyway, so you're really only hearing the rumble and perhaps adding some visceral feel.

I already have an SVS SB16 Ultra, which I don't plan to use with the X5's. I think it would be difficult to blend in a small room and it would be very easy to screw up a good thing in the X5's bass. Instead, I'm adding a few bass traps, bass quality before quantity.

Rushca01

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2020, 12:14 am »
The X5 woofers are powered up to 90hz, so you have the ability to change the level to suit. Clayton's take on it is if you're going to blend another sub with them, you'd cross them over at ~30-40 hz anyway, so you're really only hearing the rumble and perhaps adding some visceral feel.

I already have an SVS SB16 Ultra, which I don't plan to use with the X5's. I think it would be difficult to blend in a small room and it would be very easy to screw up a good thing in the X5's bass. Instead, I'm adding a few bass traps, bass quality before quantity.

I really appreciate the advice.  I still think I’m leaning towards the M3.  This is a 100% lateral move from where I was a week ago, looking at Focals etc... this OB is entirely new to me but I like supporting US companies (like VPI and Schiit).

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2020, 12:37 am »
Good point, what should I be looking for?  This is in the basement and it’s relatively wide open. 

Standing a few feet in front of the TV

Great idea posting room pictures. Very nice room. M-Series would work very well in that room. I will let X-owners respond with their thoughts. I know many X-owners like extreme toe-in. I do not know what does to listeners not in the center seat.

In my great room sometimes I am so far off-axis I feel like I am in the next county but M5s don't care.

Rushca01

« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2020, 01:52 am »
Ok, I’m sold...

I’m going to abandon the idea of a traditional boxed speaker and take a leap of faith with these OB speakers.  Rarely do I spend this kind of money without hearing something but it’s a leap of faith. 

So I think the M3 is the right thing for me...the X3 is a bit outside my budget. 

TomS

« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2020, 02:00 am »
Ok, I’m sold...

I’m going to abandon the idea of a traditional boxed speaker and take a leap of faith with these OB speakers.  Rarely do I spend this kind of money without hearing something but it’s a leap of faith. 

So I think the M3 is the right thing for me...the X3 is a bit outside my budget.
Well, the X5 is in between ;-) You really should speak with Clayton directly. He actually down sold me from the X3 based on my room. By the way I'm coming from Focal Sopra No 2's, but I've had several chances to hear the Spatials, so it wasn't a leap in my case. They are terrific speakers, with a 60 day trial.

Rushca01

« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2020, 02:10 am »
Well, the X5 is in between ;-) You really should speak with Clayton directly. He actually down sold me from the X3 based on my room. By the way I'm coming from Focal Sopra No 2's, but I've had several chances to hear the Spatials, so it wasn't a leap in my case. They are terrific speakers, with a 60 day trial.

I would love to speak with Clayton, hopefully this week when I place my order. 

You should update your profile pic  :wink:

radarnyc

« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2020, 01:38 pm »
You’ll want them 3’ off the front wall for sure. Ideally, you’d remove that sofa on the left side no matter what speakers you choose. Consolidating your gear racks would be beneficial too. I’d also hold off on any sub purchase. Get these OBs in place and break them in by playing them for 24x7 for a week or more....then decide about a sub. Some would argue that a boxed sub would take away from your OBs as many of us go to OBs for their bass characteristics to begin with.

Rushca01

« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2020, 02:31 pm »
You’ll want them 3’ off the front wall for sure. Ideally, you’d remove that sofa on the left side no matter what speakers you choose. Consolidating your gear racks would be beneficial too. I’d also hold off on any sub purchase. Get these OBs in place and break them in by playing them for 24x7 for a week or more....then decide about a sub. Some would argue that a boxed sub would take away from your OBs as many of us go to OBs for their bass characteristics to begin with.

Thanks for the input and advice.  Unfortunately I have to work within the constraints of what is acceptable to my spouse  :( It’s all give and take.  I plan to update my audio rack on the right but it is my home theater rack (anthem AVM60 and amp etc..).

Thanks!

Downtheline

« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2020, 05:15 am »

I use my m5s with a rythmik 15 inch sealed sub. I think it is a  fantastic pairing.