Offramp I2S -> Benchmark DAC-1 Experiences

sinkr

« on: 16 May 2006, 03:30 am »
Steve tells me that I'm the first to buy this above-mentioned configuration, so I figured I'd share my experience with you.

I purchased a Benchmark DAC-1 in January of this year and allowed it approximately 3 months of regular use to break in.

At some point, I ran across Empirical Audio on some forums (Audiogon, I believe) and being intrigued, I did a bit of research and sent Steve a bunch of emails and ultimately ended up purchasing this configuration:

Offramp I2S
    Turbomod
    OPA-627
    DAC-1 I2S Interface Retrofit
    Volume Knob Upgrade (for headphone listening)
    [/list:u]

I had several months to prepare my setup for this impending upgrade, as Steve hadn't completed the designs on the I2S interface retrofit for the DAC-1, so I had time to make these following changes to my PC audio setup:

Migrate from Winamp 5.x to Foobar2K 0.8.3
      Employ SRC Upsampler @ 96k
      Employ Otochan's ASIO Plug-in (v. 0.54SSE2) (bypassing all other DSPs)

Now, for a complete overview of the pertinent components/paths in my system:

Wattgate 381 Wall Outlet
        APC SmartUPS 2200VA
        Balanced Power Technologies Signature Plus w/ Bybee Add-On
        Windows XP PC w/ Foobar2k 0.8.3 digital coax via M-Audio Deltia DIO 24/96
        Benchmark DAC-1 + I2S
        Audioquest Sky 72V DBS XLR
        Ayre K1 (not K1Xe) Preamp
        Audioquest Sky 72V DBS XLR
        Zu Cable Varial XLR Splitter
        Vandersteen M5-HP Balanced X-overs
        Theta Dreadnaught I 4x200 (biwire/biamp)
        Homegrown Audio X32 8' double biwire cable (LOK grips amp side, Audioquest speaker side)
        Vandersteen 3a Signature fronts
        2x Vandersteen 2Wqs (connected w/ stock Vandersteen cable)
        2Wqs jumpered w/ Zu jumpers
        Isolation by Daruma, Cardas wood blocks, and Adona Corporation Racks
        Mapleshade cable stands

The audio coming from the computer was meticulously ripped with various versions of EAC on a offset-corrected Plextor Premium CDROM and compressed using Monkey's Audio lossless CODEC (versions 3.97->4.00).

I've listened to all kinds of music on this system (save country):
          Jazz
          Avant Garde
          Techno
          Trance
          Soul
          Rock
          R&B
          ...and so on...

By the time the Offramp I2S & modified DAC-1 arrived, the only changes in the system before and after was the Offramp I2S and DAC-1 (that is, I had a chance to listen to the setup where the only variables were the DAC-1 & Offramp I2S).

Out of the box, the DAC-1 sounded clearly superior to the stock DAC-1 and PCI M-Audio Delta DIO 24/96 and even my Theta Casablanca III w/ Superior II DAC.  I probably don't have the vocabulary to do the setup justice, but I'll try anyhow.

There was more bass, but not just obnoxious thump or increased volume--the base was timely and engaging without being obnoxiously loud or boomy.

The treble was clearer, but not just bright and annoyingly in-your-face--there was a clarity there that I had never heard before in any setup (though I have limited experience in ultra high end listening).

As some would say, there was more soundstage, depth and I'd even go so far to say 3 dimensonality to the music.   Not only is the music involving, it was real pleasing and unhindered, exposed and just there to be taken in without any extra thought, processing, or concentration.  There are several instances where I heard an aspect of a song that made me jump not because it was too loud, but because I'd never heard that sound, effect, etc. in that track before.

All-in-all, the system is very pleasing and engaging.  Prior to the configuration (and I've had the new DAC-1 for 2+ weeks now of nightly listening) I didn't suffer listener fatigue, but I no longer found myself jumping through songs (I run primarily in random across 4,000 tracks) trying to find something I was in the mood for.  With the new DAC-1, I find myself listening to almost everything that comes up because it is more pleasing, detailed, satisfying, and I'm also curious to see what I'd been missing.

Listener fatigue is not an issue--what's an issue is all the things you'll put off to avoid getting up from listening to this thing (or the things you'll avoid doing.)

I'm exceptionally pleased with the new setup to say the least.  Prior to the upgraded DAC-1, I found myself doing minor adjustments to the speakers and considering other tweaks, but since the modified DAC-1 arrived, I just sit down and enjoy music in a way that I've never been able to.

If you enjoy your standard DAC-1 on a PC, you'll be in absolute disbelief  between the unmodified DAC-1 and the Offramp I2S + modified DAC-1.[/code]

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2006, 03:12 pm »
Welcome to AC and thanks for posting about I2S DAC-1.  Steve tells me that Benchmark is better than Northstar I just got back from him and it would be nice to compare the two.  How do you feel about joining MAAC http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=22240?  Since you already have a kickass ensemble, all you have to do is get a bushel of crabs for "initiation" and we will bring the beer for a fun evening on the Bay. :wink: It's been a while since I been to Point Lookout but I hear there is a booming development in St. Mary's County -- I hope they do it in a controlled manner.  

What is your PC and storage set up?

sinkr

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2006, 02:20 pm »
Sounds good to me--one of the biggest problems with being involved with such rare stuff, is the ability to test different configurations.

Quote from: woodsyi
Welcome to AC and thanks for posting about I2S DAC-1.  Steve tells me that Benchmark is better than Northstar I just got back from him and it would be nice to compare the two.  How do you feel about joining MAAC http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=22240?  Since you already have a kickass ensemble, all you have to do is get a bushel of crabs for "initiation" and we will bring the beer for a fun evening on the Bay. :wink: It's been a while since I been to Point Lookout but I hear there i ...