"Should I Choose a Moving Magnet or Moving Coil Phono Cartridge?"

reelvox

Nice article by Jeff Leaming:

http://fairhedon.com/2018/12/26/should-i-choose-a-moving-magnet-or-moving-coil-phono-cartridge2/

For those more towards the beginning of their vinyl journey... :?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Good read. Thanks. MC designed by Grado and Grado sells MM Hmmmmm. So many to choose from.

charles

reelvox

Good read. Thanks. MC designed by Grado and Grado sells MM Hmmmmm. So many to choose from.

charles

Agree! Choices are endless. I went with a Rega Planar 6/Ania MC. I then got the Fono MC preamp. Awesome combo.

ricmon

I could be mistaken but I don't think Grado makes MC carts.

Ric

rollo

• Industry Participant
I could be mistaken but I don't think Grado makes MC carts.

Ric

My point. Joe Grado has or had the patent for MC and makes only MM.

charles

BobRex

Actually, to be a little pedantic, Grado makes Moving Iron carts, not Moving Magnet....  Same with B&O / Soundsmith.

rollo

• Industry Participant
Actually, to be a little pedantic, Grado makes Moving Iron carts, not Moving Magnet....  Same with B&O / Soundsmith.

Yes sorry for error moving Iron it is not MM.  :duh:

charles

hifitommy

one cartridge i think that can compete with MCs is the nagaoka m500.  boron cantilever and from what i hear, dynamics as fas as MCs.  i will admit that i haven't actually heard one but a yt from ian on hivynil reviewing the mp150 gives me that impression.  if i didn't have a good supply of cartridges on hand, i would be buying one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSFP0PJCE4

andyr

one cartridge i think that can compete with MCs is the nagaoka m500.  boron cantilever and from what i hear, dynamics as fas as MCs.  i will admit that i haven't actually heard one but a yt from ian on hivynil reviewing the mp150 gives me that impression.  if i didn't have a good supply of cartridges on hand, i would be buying one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSFP0PJCE4

I would nominate my Stanton 'WOS CS100' as an MM which can better many MCs.  (I'm still not convinced it isn't just as good as my recently-bought ZYX Airy3 ... although this is not run in, yet.)

Andy

Wayner

The Grado is a moving iron.

reelvox

Does anyone have an off the beaten path explanation why MC carts are so much more expensive than MM carts? I get they
are more, but the difference pricing is a really wide gap. :)

SET Man

Does anyone have an off the beaten path explanation why MC carts are so much more expensive than MM carts? I get they
are more, but the difference pricing is a really wide gap. :)

Hey!

Pretty good article especially for someone new to vinyl playback. To my knowledge MC cost more to make, with the precision coil winding and etc. And of course MC carts tend to come with better finer stylus also.

I have a bit of a compromise in my system. Right now I have high output MC cart, Benz Micro ACE HO.

Yes, I started out with MM, this was back in the early '90s with one of the cheapest Ortofon and later on I got Grado black if I remember. Than I jump to high output MC cart with Sumiko Blue Point and than Blue Point Special EVO III. OK, I've never compared MM and MC at the same price point. But I can tell you that I don't think I will go back to MM anytime soon. The MC to me have more detail, speed, and airiness to the sound. Can be good or bad depend on your system. Keep in my that I'm using all tubed, SET amps and Single Driver speaker.

It is easy to use high output MC cart in your existing MM phono stage because of the high output from the cart around 2.5mV or so. There's one problem that I think can be a bit tricky. All MM phono stages are loaded with 47K ohm which is fine for MM carts but with MC you will need to load it down. Benz Micro recommend 1K loading with my cart and I loaded mine  at 1K or was it 1.2K I don't remembered.

So, I find it strange that Sumiko recommend 47K for their high output MC. Maybe this was why I seems to always felt their Blue Point Special EVOIII can sound a bit splashy and tilted up at the top back than if my memory served me right.

Anyway, if you going to go with high output MC make sure you have a way to change the resistors for the right loading for you particular HO MC cart. For me it is not a problem since I'm a DIYer, I just have to popped open my Audio Note M1 Pre and change the loading resistors in the phono stage. But I believe there are loading plugs that you can buy to change the loading without opening your preamp I think.

Buddy

andyr

Anyway, if you going to go with high output MC make sure you have a way to change the resistors for the right loading for you particular HO MC cart. For me it is not a problem since I'm a DIYer, I just have to popped open my Audio Note M1 Pre and change the loading resistors in the phono stage. But I believe there are loading plugs that you can buy to change the loading without opening your preamp I think.

Buddy

Sure, you can use 'loaded' RCA plugs to reduce the default MM 47k load.  But to enable this, the phono stage will ideally have a 2nd pair of input RCAs, in parallel - so:
* the phono cable goes in one pair, and
* load plugs go in the other.

If you don't have this (and you are not DIY-savvy enough to change the default resistors, like you did) ...you need to use RCA 'T'/'Y' connectors in the sole pair of input RCA sockets.  Some people say this extra connection degrades the SQ, slightly - so is not ideal.

Andy

reelvox

Hey!

Pretty good article especially for someone new to vinyl playback. To my knowledge MC cost more to make, with the precision coil winding and etc. And of course MC carts tend to come with better finer stylus also.

I have a bit of a compromise in my system. Right now I have high output MC cart, Benz Micro ACE HO.

Yes, I started out with MM, this was back in the early '90s with one of the cheapest Ortofon and later on I got Grado black if I remember. Than I jump to high output MC cart with Sumiko Blue Point and than Blue Point Special EVO III. OK, I've never compared MM and MC at the same price point. But I can tell you that I don't think I will go back to MM anytime soon. The MC to me have more detail, speed, and airiness to the sound. Can be good or bad depend on your system. Keep in my that I'm using all tubed, SET amps and Single Driver speaker.

It is easy to use high output MC cart in your existing MM phono stage because of the high output from the cart around 2.5mV or so. There's one problem that I think can be a bit tricky. All MM phono stages are loaded with 47K ohm which is fine for MM carts but with MC you will need to load it down. Benz Micro recommend 1K loading with my cart and I loaded mine  at 1K or was it 1.2K I don't remembered.

So, I find it strange that Sumiko recommend 47K for their high output MC. Maybe this was why I seems to always felt their Blue Point Special EVOIII can sound a bit splashy and tilted up at the top back than if my memory served me right.

Buddy

Hi Buddy:

Excellent post. I especially appreciate the insight and the detail with personal experience.

Most that go to MC generally don't go back to MM. We all just have to be careful not to be sucked into spending
huge sums. And dealing with specs and loading issues is another factor.

I actually question the specifications most cart manufacturers publish.

Thanks again,

BobM

One of the issues with stepping up to more expensive MC cartridges and getting all they can offer is that you probably also have to upgrade your phono stage, and possibly get a step up device too. That's even more $$$ out of pocket, but essential if you want to hear what those cartridges over $1K can offer, let alone those over $3K.

johnto

Soundsmith has some excellent info on their web site.
Their cartridges which are mi are excellent sounding and very reasonable to have retipped.

reelvox

One of the issues with stepping up to more expensive MC cartridges and getting all they can offer is that you probably also have to upgrade your phono stage, and possibly get a step up device too. That's even more $$$ out of pocket, but essential if you want to hear what those cartridges over $1K can offer, let alone those over $3K.

Completely agree with you. And I might add you have to match the cart to the phono stage. There is def. some incompatibility, regardless of price, you can run into, especially if the cart
is very low output.

reelvox

Soundsmith has some excellent info on their web site.
Their cartridges which are mi are excellent sounding and very reasonable to have retipped.

Soundsmith is real artisan stuff.

reelvox

Hey guys, regardless of cart type, here is a really nice LP (AAA!) to acquire:

http://fairhedon.com/2019/03/18/vinyl-spotlight-jerome-sabbath-greg-tuoheys-no-filter/

orthobiz

MM with a replaceable stylus.

P