TWO.2 "classic"

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
TWO.2 "classic"
« on: 14 Apr 2010, 08:49 pm »
Guys,
I'm trying to get a sense of how many of you would be interested in buying an upgraded ONE.2 with the same tweaks we put in the original TWO.  These included the larger tank cap, Auricaps, and copper binding posts.  I'm considering pricing it at $469 (with the standard supply) to pay for the additional parts.  It will be more expensive than the original but I lost money on the original and hope to turn around that habit.  We'd do a discounted pre-order, of course.
Your thoughts?
Seth
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2010, 10:17 pm by virtue »

se-riously

Re: TWO.2 "classic"
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2010, 11:17 pm »
Hi Seth,

I think that a TWO.2 "classic" falls into a small niche market, since after you add a decent power supply, you're already approaching Sensation range.  I'd also be asking myself if a ONE.2 and a DIY battery kit would exceed the performance of a TWO.2 with a standard power supply.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2010, 11:22 pm »
Yip... it's a fair criticism.  The unit would sound marginally worse than Sensation, I think... Comparing these amps with and without high-current supplies is silly... but a TWO.2 with a $60 battery supply would still be a sweet deal, wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2010, 02:35 pm by virtue »

dvenardos

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2010, 11:47 pm »
Yeah, a Two with high current supply shouldn't really be compared to the Sensation without.
If you don't need the extra inputs, the Two would be a nice choice. So hard to tell on these things because the difference between the One and the Two would be pretty much the same as the difference between M451 and M901 and I would never have guessed that the M901 would outsell the M451 (how the heck did you come up with those model numbers?).

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2010, 11:51 pm »
Haha.. the original M451 was to have sold by the thousands with the 90w psu, +/-45wpc.  The M901 was likewise going to sell by the billions, with a 180w PSU, +/-90wpc.  They're both 90wpc now and ought to be called Sensation ONE and Sensation TWO or Sensation "HotRod" or something. Oh, well.  Suffer me fellas. 

Another point about the TWO.2... it may also be attractive for foreign customers who get killed on shipping charges for Sensation...
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2010, 01:40 am by virtue »

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2010, 03:50 am »
Maybe you could advertise them as a million seller.

"Yep, I got a million of them in the cellar." :lol:

By the way, where can I get a $60 battery supply?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2010, 04:10 am »
1 x http://www.powerstream.com/3PX0-24.htm
2 x BP5-12-T1 sealed lead acid battery 12V 5AH
Wire it up.  Leave it plugged in.  Have a nice day.

OzarkTom

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2010, 10:30 am »
1 x http://www.powerstream.com/3PX0-24.htm
2 x BP5-12-T1 sealed lead acid battery 12V 5AH
Wire it up.  Leave it plugged in.  Have a nice day.

Will 2 of these work?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009339C4/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1WVGGIW699JP1

neutralos

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2010, 01:39 pm »
Guys,
I'm trying to get a sense of how many of you would be interested in buying an upgraded ONE.2 with the same tweaks we put in the original TWO.  These included the larger tank cap, Auricaps, and copper binding posts.  I'm considering pricing it at $469 (with the standard supply) to pay for the additional parts.  It will be more expensive than the original but I lost money on the original and hope to turn around that habit.  We'd do a discounted pre-order, of course.
Your thoughts?
Seth

You have PM

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:54 pm »
Tom, that looks like a fine deal for batteries.

Neutralos, thanks for your awesome PM. 

To your point that we've had a bit of product confusion and higher prices...  Yes.  What I can say to all of that is whatever Virtue does or doesn't do in the future, we always take care of our customers first.  Anyone who has bought a Virtue amp and sold it knows that "renting" one for a year or two is the cheapest audio pleasure they've ever had by hour used.  Why?  Because the value is so good that the resale is very high.  Also, have I ever not offered a killer deal on new models to existing customers?

About prices, the TWO.2 wouldn't be "cheap" (like beer) and nor is Sensation M901... and for a moment let's forget that they're as good or better than amps costing 2x, 5x, 10x, pick a number....   Just know that between tooling, parts and logistics (equally in some cases), shipping partially built units to the USA, and custom building them with US labor for each and every customer - these magical products don't come cheap.  It's no surprise that our products are unique in the market!  Some would say I'm crazy for doing it!

Have I given up taking on Bose and folks who make tens of thousands of units, won't tell you what's inside or who don't take the time and money to fix problems?  Yip, I've given up on that market.  We're squarely a high-end audio company at fair, some would say low if not ridiculously low prices. 

Trust me that if a sugar-daddy comes along and allows us to build tens of thousands of units and fully capture economies of scale, you will see downward pressure on pricing.  Still, I think that even with the current pricing/lineup we're in the "stellar value" category.  I got into this business to deliver value and we're still doing it, in spades, every day.  When the products stop becoming affordable or high-value, the fun will have died and I'll just go back to buying gear from other folks, as will you. 

cynan

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2010, 07:17 pm »
Yeah, a Two with high current supply shouldn't really be compared to the Sensation without.

I've got an M901 and a TWO classic, and a week old DIY battery PSU - and I'm eager to do a comparison between the TWO and M901 on batteries. I need to give the M901 a few more hours to settle down (when I first powered on the unit, I was actually a bit underwhelmed - but she's got me grinning now  :D ). And (sigh) I'm also in between digital sources and am currently making due with a computer sound  card (slightly modded creative x-fi) for most of my listenning (which actually isn't that terrible!).

Anyway, as soon as these two issues get taken care of, I hope to be posting some comparisons of the TWO classic vs the M901.

Out of curiosity, would this new TWO have a larger tank cap than the TWO classic?

neutralos

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2010, 02:10 pm »
... we always take care of our customers first. 
Let me tell you something from my humble life experience:
Don´t take care of your customers too much. As much as needed - and not more. Many of them will rip your arm when you give them your hand.

My opinion for the price increases in future:

- Based on the reviews, a blind buy could be risky for some people.

- But if a person shares the same listening taste like we all here (the most people out there should do it majoritarian) and listens to the TWO in a well matched system - I am sure he/she would agree to pay also 500 $ and more

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2010, 04:23 pm »
But I do think that our customers would like us to have arms!  Your charitable and reasonable sentiments are appreciated!

neutralos

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2010, 03:46 am »
But I do think that our customers would like us to have arms!
No, no I think it´s enough when you have at least one arm to produce the amps.
That´s the main thing and the reason why they rip you only one arm   :green:

Of course I am not speaking for all (potential) customers.

BTW: if the new TWO.2 is the same like the classic (with auricaps etc.) I am going to order my second TWO. It´s not a joke - just want a replacement ready if the first should go out of order.
You never know. When will the pre-orders start ?

ismarketing

« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2010, 02:59 pm »
I would buy a classic two in a heart beat.  Yes please!

dvenardos

« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2010, 09:02 pm »
Yeah, I think the classic two would be my recommendation for a Virtue amp if you don't need the preamp in the Sensation and then the One.2 if you want to do your own mods.

I would buy a classic two in a heart beat.  Yes please!

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2010, 05:25 am »
Will the Two classic be using apogee ddx2240 power chips x 2 just like the original Two, or tripath tp2050 just like the One?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2010, 07:19 am »
We have a mish-mash in stock right now -- ddx2150, ddx2200, or ddx2240.  at 30v they are indistinguishable.