Omega Revolutions - Speaker Positioning Question

nature boy

Omega Revolutions - Speaker Positioning Question
« on: 9 May 2010, 11:05 am »
I just picked up a nice pair of Omega Revolution speakers for my 13.5' x 15.5' listening room.  I have them on the short wall and am looking for suggestions on how best to position the speakers.

Right now I have them ~ 2' from rear walls and 18" from the side walls and directly pointed to my listening position.  Any other thoughts from Louis C. or others out there?

NB

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Omega Revolutions - Speaker Positioning Question
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2010, 12:38 am »
Since nobody else has posted, I'll chime in.

I found that the speakers really shined when they had some space behind them.  In the the two setups I ran them in, I had them on the short wall and between 2' - 9' away from the wall behind them.  You need to experiment with how far from the wall you want to have them as it will impact how much bass reinforcement the room provides.  This wasn't an issue for me as I was using a pair of Deep Hemp subs to augment the bottom octaves.

I tried different toe-in angles from directly fired at me to none.  I generally preferred the Revolutions firing just to the outside of my listening position.  This gave me the best combination of imaging and soundstage width.

NB, what else have you tried from a depth and toe-in perspective?

FWIW, below is a picture of the Revolutions in my main listening room:

Enjoy the speakers.

George

genjamon

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2010, 12:46 am »
In my experience with the 8" Hemptones, you really don't want them pointed directly at the listening position.  They should be either pointed straight ahead or only very slightly toed in - but pointed way, way behind your head.  I found them quite a bit harsh and with very poor soundstaging/imaging when pointed directly at me.  I know there are some posts from the past alluding to this general recommendation for positioning Omega speakers. 

I'd say start with them pointed straight ahead, then start toeing them in gradually until you get the right amount of center fill, imaging, and soundstage for you.  This is opposed to starting with them pointed at you and then gradually toe them out until you're happy.

Ben

genjamon

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2010, 12:48 am »
Oh yeah, and George's picture illustrates this pretty well.  The listener is sitting in front enjoying them while the drivers are pointed at the cameraman.

genjamon

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2010, 12:50 am »
And I should also add that I think the angle to the listener is more important than having space behind them, if that's a concern for some reason.  My personal opinion, though, and happy for others to chime in with other thoughts.

nature boy

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2010, 10:21 am »
NB, what else have you tried from a depth and toe-in perspective?

Right now I have them ~ 2' from the back wall and have tried different spacings from the side walls and differing degrees of toe in.  I haven't found the sweet spot just yet, so I'll move them out further into the listening room (in a near field listening arrangement) and toe in according to your suggestions.

I'll try to mess around with them tonight or tomorrow night.  Unfortunately I've just been too busy to do any serious listening the past few days.

NB

genjamon

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2010, 03:20 pm »
How did this work out, NB?  Did you find positioning that works? 

doctorcilantro

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2010, 02:21 pm »
How did this work out, NB?  Did you find positioning that works?

I'm stuck with distance from back wall at maybe 2' as I have bookcases, but I did toe them in recently and that seemed to help. Need to do more listening. I used to have Klipsch with some horns and no toe-in seemed best with them so I'm not used to it honestly.