Our latest builds

MichaelHiFi

Re: Our latest builds
« Reply #80 on: 13 Mar 2014, 03:08 am »
Alright, alright. WTF is a TL!  :evil: TL bass. What?  :scratch:

I think the Nimbus might fit the bill in our living room.

I've been talking Vapor Audio with my buddy for months, actually, since the Newport show. Somehow I missed that room. Both my comrades had nothing but great things to say about the Vapor room. He's talking me into the Nimbus now, first was the Cirrus.

Maybe you'll show up in the Bay Area in June? We should talk...

I just took possession of some mini monitors, the R5's which sound quite good with the Raal's.

So many speakers - so little money

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #81 on: 13 Mar 2014, 03:41 am »
What's a TL?  Transmission Line ...

I have no doubt the Nimbus will fit the bill, whatever the bill may be (unless it's a desktop monitor).

We'll be back in Newport Beach for sure, two trips to the West Coast is unlikely.  But we might have a vendor who wants to use our speakers at the SF show, in which case we'd have something there. 

What are these R5's you mention? 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #82 on: 13 Mar 2014, 01:14 pm »

Transmission Line!  :duh:

The R5's are from Jed at Clearwave.

I see some similarity between Vapor and Clearwave, best parts, awesome build quality, small but dedicated group of folks who are into their craft.

I have a BMC S1 amp that drives the R5's. You might be familiar with that amp  :wink: But I might need to sell it to fund a Nimbus!

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #83 on: 10 Aug 2014, 10:27 pm »
I was hoping Ryan had posted pictures of the latest build by now but I think preparations for a short vacation have overtaken the effort.  So I figure I'd post what I have on hand of the newest Vapor speaker, something slightly more conventional in construction methods but with a twist. 

Driver compliment will feature a pair of 7" woofers from Wavecor, the same driver lineup we use in Nimbus and Breeze.  Above the 7" woofers will be a 4.5" midrange that spans the gap between the woofers and RAAL's new ribbon tweeter.  Projected response range will be from the low 30s to beyond 20KHz using a vented enclosure consisting of a trapezoidal parallelogram.  The enclosure looks parallelogram from the side, and trapezoidal from the top.  Veneered in a beautiful highly figured raw walnut, the cabinet floats above a low profile plinth that continues the theme from the enclosure.

There will be more information coming on this new design and its debut for the GAS gang and then in Chicago later this fall.

« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2014, 11:38 pm by Pete Schumacher »

WireNut

« Reply #84 on: 10 Aug 2014, 10:31 pm »
I like that style cabinet, narrow and deep  :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #85 on: 10 Aug 2014, 10:54 pm »
That looks great! What are your thoughts about using 2 smaller woofers instead of one large woofer as in the Nimbus and Joule?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #86 on: 11 Aug 2014, 12:04 am »
That looks great! What are your thoughts about using 2 smaller woofers instead of one large woofer as in the Nimbus and Joule?

There's more than one way to skin a mule as the old saying goes.  We wanted a small tower that has a much shorter turn around time to construct, but the last thing we wanted was just another box.  So ditching the orthogonal meme was essential in the design of these new towers.  Using dual 7" woofers to cover no more than 500Hz is an easy decision.  While I'm sure it won't have quite the impact that the larger systems do, what this tower will offer is a truly full range sound with some relative authority.  A quartet of 7" woofers will produce palpable bass to nearly 110dB in your living room with extension in-room to below 30Hz.  In other words, these are speakers that will do music without the necessity of subwoofers.  If you like to feel a crescendo in orchestral works, these will be able to deliver.

mr_bill

« Reply #87 on: 11 Aug 2014, 03:57 am »
I like them better than the other cabinet designs.

The plinth or angle looks odd and not sturdy in the pic - may just be the angle of the picture.

How tall?

bajaed

« Reply #88 on: 11 Aug 2014, 05:27 am »
Bill I got to see that pair in person this weekend and they are really nice. Very sturdy and the angular, floating appearance is really cool!

ricardojoa

« Reply #89 on: 11 Aug 2014, 07:02 am »
The cabinets looks pretty nice.
Just curious whats the mic employed, thd depth of the cab and of course the price.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #90 on: 11 Aug 2014, 09:07 pm »
There will be some decorative and functional feet added to the plinth for even more stability. 

The width at the back of the base is enough to offer good side to side resistance to tipping.  With spikes in place, overall height will be about 44" at the peak in back, 9" across the front, 6" across the back, and footprint depth is 22" from the front of the plinth to the back of the peak. 

We're still back and forth about the look of a grill but it will have that feature as well.

The vent is down firing at the back of the cabinet allowing a seamless look to the veneer and a cleaner look to the baffle.

There will be three looks available with this type of walnut veneer being one.  We'll probably find a large lot of sapele and possibly maple to round out the "light, medium, and dark" veneer options.  Standard finish will be satin as pictured.  This particular batch of veneer has a lot of figure and we will endeavor to always keep that level of quality for each build.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #91 on: 11 Aug 2014, 09:14 pm »
I prefer the looks of your more exotic and imaginative builds. A design such as the Nimbus is what really separates you from the pack and establishes your identity.

bajaed

« Reply #92 on: 11 Aug 2014, 11:04 pm »
As I said, these look even better in person. They still have a killer custom look with high grade custom wood finishes that I think any audiophile would be proud of. The bonus is that the WAF will be very high with these and they will blend in with about any decor.

And they will rock the foundation when you want to! A pair of Tuonare for the main living room and the Nimbus for the Man Cave.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #93 on: 1 Oct 2014, 12:10 am »
MANY pictures I need to edit and upload to freshen up this thread, but for now how about probably the finest pair of loudspeakers to leave the shop yet!  This pair of Joule White is currently on their way to the Bay Area. 

About the build, the veneer is Sapele Pomelle with a bright red tint, with about 40 coats of 2K Urethane on top and wet sanded/buffed to perfection. The paint on front is a 3-stage candy red that looks incredible in person, lots of depth and sparkle.  This pair is upgraded with Jensen silver capacitors, silver/gold RAAL transformer core, and Kimber AG23 wire on the tweeter. 

Also new is the bass adjustment network.  A separate negative terminal for the woofer can be used to lower bass output from 50-150hz by about 2db.  From now forward, all Joule builds will feature this bass compensation network. 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #94 on: 1 Oct 2014, 12:41 am »
These went out a few weeks back, they now reside on the island of Puerto Rico.  Beautiful sound on a beautiful island.  Here's what the new owner had to say.

"Hi Ryan, after 3 weeks with the speakers ,I don't know how to express my satisfaction.  These speakers are the best investing that I have made.  These speakers are incredible good, I can feel the emotion of the recording. I do not regret buying them without a listen."

Black Brazilian Rosewood in satin finish, matching stands, Jensen copper foil caps, Duelund resistors, Amorphous core.

bajaed

« Reply #95 on: 1 Oct 2014, 07:45 pm »
Both pairs are stunning. The Sapele Pomelle veneer is what you have on that pair of Sundogs isn't it?

WireNut

« Reply #96 on: 1 Oct 2014, 09:07 pm »

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #97 on: 4 Nov 2014, 02:34 am »
I can't believe I haven't posted a picture of these yet!  Every pair of speakers that goes out the door, it's a bittersweet feeling ... but especially so with this pair of Joule Black.  I was in love with them in every way, at least they're going to a good home.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #98 on: 4 Nov 2014, 02:43 am »
I was in love with them in every way, at least they're going to a good home.
Isn't every pair that you sell that goes to a home "a good home"?   :P

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #99 on: 4 Nov 2014, 02:46 am »
Isn't every pair that you sell that goes to a home "a good home"?   :P

Well, I always hope that's the case.  But this owner I have a good feeling will never ever consider letting them leave his home.