Calling all gurus of this fine art !!!!

2bigears

Calling all gurus of this fine art !!!!
« on: 8 Jun 2014, 01:54 am »

:D Hi everyone.  Can somebody help with an amp selection please and thanks.  Right now I have the KW750 by Mus Fid.....
        The Pre is VAC Ren Sig.
           The speakers are Proac D-38's
             Would like a tube amp with enough juice to drive the 38's yet make them sing sweetly.
                the big Mus Fid is good ,, but if anyone knows a good match to streamline my system,, as I would like a one box amp
                   I think tube amps have come a long , long way and really don't know any good ones that would fit the system.
                      As usual,, thanks for any thoughts or ideas.... Pat up in cold Canada .... Good Lord will it ever warm up ?????     :D

Guy 13

Re: Calling all gurus of this fine art !!!!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2014, 01:59 am »
     :D Hi everyone.  Can somebody help with an amp selection please and thanks.  Right now I have the KW750 by Mus Fid.....
        The Pre is VAC Ren Sig.
           The speakers are Proac D-38's
             Would like a tube amp with enough juice to drive the 38's yet make them sing sweetly.
                the big Mus Fid is good ,, but if anyone knows a good match to streamline my system,, as I would like a one box amp
                   I think tube amps have come a long , long way and really don't know any good ones that would fit the system.
                      As usual,, thanks for any thoughts or ideas.... Pat up in cold Canada .... Good Lord will it ever warm up ?????     :D

Hi 2bigears.
Come on planet Vietnam for a month or two and then go back to Canada (My home country)
then you will stop complaining/mentioning about the cold. :lol:

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2014, 02:23 am »
I would suggest Bryston B100(used) or the new B135.
They are dual mono in one box, yet are simple in the output circuit, use just one pair of transistors.

If you mean say a tube amp: It could be a BAT 55 as the D39 is 4 ohms and only 91dB sensitivity.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2014, 04:48 am »
Well, in Cold Lake it is SUPPOSED to be cold  man  !!!  I hear some of the poor folks over  in  Manitoba  are having to crank their AC and many water  lines are still frozne    , crazy stuff

-jay

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2014, 05:55 am »

Frozen stuff ,,, in June ?

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2014, 06:22 am »
 :D. Serious boys and gals ,, I need a good tube amp that will fit ,,
      My last one ,,   Ha  :D

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2014, 01:40 pm »
A VAC would match nicely with your pre.  How do you think it would mate with your speaks?

What about a Music Reference RM-200?
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2014, 03:55 pm by Ericus Rex »

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2014, 02:01 pm »
 :D  yes, it seems logical a big 300 would fit nice. I was just wondering if you have to spend that much
     These days with the advanced tube amps.  It seems value is really good.  I could be wrong.  :D

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2014, 03:55 pm »
I'm very happy with my Stereo 100:

http://rogueaudio.com/Products_100.htm

It's fast and powerful, which is what I think you're after when you say 'tube amps have come a long way...'.  The Music Reference RM200 is probably the better amp but it more expensive at $4,900+:

http://www.ramlabs-musicreference.com/music_reference_rm-200_hybrid_power_tube_amplifer.html

JakeJ

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2014, 06:49 pm »
750 Watts per channel isn't enough?  Really?!  Or are you saying the MF isn't a good match due to other factors?

As far a VAC amp (or monoblocks) you needn't buy the latest or newest, I bought a pair of older VAC PA-160 monoblocks and have been very happy with them.  Paired with a VAC CPA-1 with upgrades from VAC I haven't been looking for electronics for quite some time.  I'm a firm believer in single mfr. synergy when it comes to electronics.

That said, I think you'll be looking at the big tube amp brands such as VTL, Audio Research, McIntosh, Rogue, maybe even Atma-Sphere.  Do your homework and you will find what you need (with a little help from your friends).  Atma-Sphere amps may require the autoformer between the amp and speakers which basically makes them into an amp with output trannies.  Never made sense to me to do that, one should use speakers that work well with OTL designs.

Just my .02.

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2014, 07:41 pm »
 :D.  It's not a power thing. It's just I'm trimming the size and therefore rack space.
           I'd like a tube amp in a one unit config. The 750 has two units. It's a good amp
              With major headroom. The VAC pre is a keeper as its phono is well done.
                I just was wondering if any modern tube amp would fit right in. I am a true
                   believer value has gone up with technological gains and better designs.
                      I could be wrong.  :D

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2014, 10:48 pm »
  Frozen stuff ,,, in June ?

Yup,  think things are getting better  now but as of May 31,  there were still a lot of folks in Winnepeg withot  water.  I heard there was frost 8' in the ground in some areas, long cold winter there this year

Sorry for the OT info guys
-jay

2bigears

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2014, 11:38 pm »
 :D  this Canadian winter was very cold for long stretches..... A bad one. El Niño is to return next winter....
           I hope those meteoroligists are right for a chance,,,,,  :D     
                Are those Rouge amps good ones ? Haven't heard much about them.  :D

2bigears

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2014, 11:55 pm »
 :D. VTL 450 Sigs 11 on eBay for 6800 bucks. Might be overkill ?
         Don't know much about VTL,, but mono blocks and lots of tubes kinda just means more $$$$.  :D

bajaed

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2014, 12:26 am »
Rogue Cronus Magnum with KT120's. Roll in some vintage 12au7 and 12ax7's to your sonic preferences after everything has broken in.
Built like a tank, built in the USA, incredible customer service, sounds wonderful and looks good doing it. Outstanding value, you'll have money left over for other things.

2bigears

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2014, 12:43 am »
 :).  I have a pre I will keep till I pass this world..
          I'm looking to go from a SS to tube amp,, 1 box with upper performance.
              Aren't we all,, ha   I play old rock and nothing else. Just the good stuff. Vinyl and Apple dig.
                 Will give up 1.1kw's of power as I really over bought with the 750..  But it's a cool amp..  :D

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2014, 01:23 am »
For your "very" last amp ever, take a look at the new Convergent Audio Technologies
JL5.

100WPC and around 12K list.

Ken Steven's best bang for the buck ever.......

2bigears

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2014, 01:58 am »
 :D  I'm thinkin' I love the last amp talk,,,,  but 12k is kinda getting up there..  I will have a look.
           Art has his VAC 300 up for 9k....  even that seems a lot..  think there is still a bargain amp out there somewhere.
              hummmm.....  what to do ??  :D

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #18 on: 9 Jun 2014, 11:22 am »
Oops the BAT 55 not a good idea: all in PCBs, too much stress in the output tubes and expensive.

Instead see the Audio Mirror 45W: all in point to point Silver wire.
http://www.audiomirror.com/amps.html

Ericus Rex

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jun 2014, 01:25 pm »
The Rogue Stereo 100 is new so there's only 1 review so far:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue70/rogue_st100.htm

...but there are tons of reviews of other Rogue amps out there.  You can get a feel for the sound of the company by reading them.  The Cronus is sonically more of a traditional tube amp compared to Rogue's other models.  Not sure that's where you want to go.  It is a fine amp, however.

Here's a review of the Music Reference ($5,900 version with custom trannies):

http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-reference-rm-200-mkii-power-amplifier

Be sure to read Atkinson's testing notes where he waxes poetic about this amp.