REVIEW: Rerefence 3a Dulcet

Chuckyboy

« on: 25 Jan 2004, 02:05 pm »
Guys,
Just found one review on the new dulcet speaker. Simply put the reviewer finds this mini-monitor amazing - almost excellent. It would be nice to compare this review to other people's listening notes. What you think? Is Dulcet a giant killer or what?

http://www.iar-80.com/page65.html

cyounkman

old review : different speaker?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2004, 05:35 am »
This review has been around for quite a while. (I added it to the Review Thread in June 2003, and I don't think it was new even then.)

So I'm guessing that the speaker under review was an older/beta model. I will try to find out. My information is that the currently available Dulcet (the one shown at CES) was completed only very recently.

Chuckyboy

Re: old review : different speaker?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2004, 08:44 am »
Quote from: cyounkman
This review has been around for quite a while. (I added it to the Review Thread in June 2003, and I don't think it was new even then.)

So I'm guessing that the speaker under review was an older/beta model. I will try to find out. My information is that the currently available Dulcet (the one shown at CES) was completed only very recently.

Thanks for the info. So it's back to waiting time for me  :cry:

Ron D

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2004, 07:04 am »
Don't put too much in reviews especially from this guy. He really loves things to death or despises them. I mean most reviewers tend to gravitate to the middle - one has to read between the lines and that may be due to advertising but no advertising can hurt just as much. A constant parade of gear touted in a capacity of the Next Coming makes no sense either. Try and get a pair on demo or find a pair used (in case you have to sell so you'll take less of a hit). Good luck...

Chuckyboy

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2004, 02:21 pm »
Quote from: Ron D
Don't put too much in reviews especially from this guy. He really loves things to death or despises them. ..

You're very right but the  only reason I am looking for reviews/impressions on this speaker is because I don't have access on them- no dealers in my area  :(

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Re: REVIEW: Rerefence 3a Dulcet
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2004, 10:36 pm »
Quote from: Chuckyboy
Guys,
Just found one review on the new dulcet speaker. Simply put the reviewer finds this mini-monitor amazing - almost excellent. It would be nice to compare this review to other people's listening notes. What you think? Is Dulcet a giant killer or what?

http://www.iar-80.com/page65.html

I heard the Dulcets just recently at CES 2004 and T.H.E. Show as well.  At T.H.E. Show I think they were hooked up to some micro solid state gear and it was pretty cool but when I heard them in the Divertech room with the big old ASL AQ1009 845 DT monoblocks they were much more satisfying.  

I think it was becuase they needed a bit more power and some tubes to make music really feel good.  DOn't know really as I didn't spend as much time in the room where they had the SS gear with them.

I own de capos and I think the family sound is right there in teh Dulcets but when I played some really demanding music, I did hit the limit. I mean don't expect this little 4" woofer to take everything you give it.  At the same time you will be more than surprised by how much this baby monster can put out...no we're not talking Sunfire True SubJR. output but more than I thought was possible with just two little 4" woofers.

So the bass is tight, tuneful and plenty deep for most music and listening levels.

The treble was pretty much identical to my de capos though some things might have been different...I don't know exactly w/o having them in my room with my gear to test them out.

I can say this though, their extra small cabinets really made them disappear and they sounded downright fun.  Toe-tappin' and pure enjoyment is what I got out of them.

These are fantasic little speakers for a medium sized room and would work well with all sorts of music until you ask them to go much louder.

anyway, I am not a very elequent writer and my thoughts are always discumbobulated (spell check please) so you can email me if you want to ask me more specific questions about their performance.

rtt5@email.byu.edu

cyounkman

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2004, 05:59 am »
Thanks for the report! Can't wait to hear them...