Planning an Austin meet for Sat., April 4th, 1:30 PM

soliver

I haven't hosted a meet in several years, and since then my system has been getting better and better.
I especially haven't hosted a meet for most of you that lurk on this board.  I have a database of over 30 audiophiles in the Austin area from an older attempt at an Austin Audio Club, but I am going to post here first, to see what interest I get before going to that well.

It looked like Gabe's meet in November had about 8, I can easily host that with probably a max of 12-13 at a time.

But yes space is limited, and sadly my view isn't as nice as Gabe's.
On the other hand, the sound, oh the sound is very nice.

I haven't cleared a date quite yet with my wife, and I have a new top plate for my turntable on order that I want in before having this, but I am thinking April 4th.  If my top plate hasn't arrived by then I will be very unhappy, and will probably move it back.  But surely?

If you want to bring some gear, cables, or tweaks please clear it with me.  I certainly don't mind doing a few comparisons, but mainly just want to listen to some good tunes, drink some booze, and yap.

Sound good?
Who's in?

My gallery and system listing are up to date here, as well as Audiogon. So go there for details on what I am running.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2009, 02:53 am by soliver »

Nick77

Re: Early planning stages of an Austin meet
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2009, 08:58 pm »
I enjoyed Gabe's bbq and would be interested in checking out your GTG. Count me in :)

gitarretyp

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2009, 09:03 pm »
Sounds like fun. I'll try to make it.

soliver

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2009, 09:40 pm »
Heck yeah it will be fun!

I still need to decide on the food and drink of choice for the day.

My last meet several years ago had Caiprihinha's and a selection of homemade Cuban chicken and pulled pork sandwiches.  That is going to be tough to top, but I might have to go to my ace up the sleeve.  The Silver Coin Margarita!!!!!  Go to Fonda San Miguel's if you want to find out about the Silver Coin. Delicioso!

gitarretyp

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2009, 11:25 pm »
Heck yeah it will be fun!

I still need to decide on the food and drink of choice for the day.

My last meet several years ago had Caiprihinha's and a selection of homemade Cuban chicken and pulled pork sandwiches.  That is going to be tough to top, but I might have to go to my ace up the sleeve.  The Silver Coin Margarita!!!!!  Go to Fonda San Miguel's if you want to find out about the Silver Coin. Delicioso!

I wasn't there for the last meet you held, but it'd be pretty tough to top a really good caipirinha :drool:.

audio_builder

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2009, 02:36 am »
I am avaliable.  Let me know if you need any audio stuff.

FredT300B

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2009, 11:02 am »
I'll be in Austin that weekend and would like to attend.  :banana piano:

soliver

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2009, 04:55 pm »
Come on up Fred!

Lee, I think I am good.  If you want to lug along your big amp to share with others, lets see how much interest I get and what other stuff is offered.  With the size of the amp, I don't want things to be too crowded to fit in such a monster.  Of course if you would prefer not to go through the trouble, no problem.

BTW, I made one power cable substitution that really helped my system's dynamics and speed.  It improved things in a variety of other ways as well, in fact I am a bit in shock as to how much of a difference it made.  It is that Flow Master Reference that I had on orderthe last time you came over.

As a friend said the other day when I took it down to his system, "I could have just bought that power cord and not gone through the hassle of finding the right preamp, if so I would be done now."

Quick question for others as the last meet, who brought the JC-1's.  Were they owned or on loan?

audio_builder

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2009, 05:48 pm »
I have no problem in bringing the big amp.  If the weather remains cold, it may provide some welcome warmth.  I can just see it now, music lovers huddled around four bright burning 211s talking about audio.

The whole power cord thing has had me thinking.  (Yes the hamster is running on his little wheel again)  I may have a power cord for you to try.  It uses an extremely expensive shielded cable used for high speed communication. It might be interesting.

Lee

Nick77

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2009, 06:10 pm »
I believe Gabe had those JC-1's on loan from his boss.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2009, 06:20 pm »
Wish I could come along since I had a great time at Gabe's.  The 4th just doesn't work for me.  I'll look forward to reading about it. 

Nick77

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2009, 06:25 pm »
Wish I could come along since I had a great time at Gabe's.  The 4th just doesn't work for me.  I'll look forward to reading about it. 

Ah man, you should just pack up those baby nines and make the trip Scott. hehe

soliver

« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2009, 03:23 pm »
Well step one in locking down the date is complete.

The wife over a nice dinner agreed to me hosting this on the 4th.

Now I just need my top plate to come in, so I can properly mount my tonearm.
And I need the weather to behave, no rain in early April please!

As a teaser:
Silver Coin Margarita Recipe
1) infuse tequila with watermelon chunks for 48 hours then strain out seeds and pulp when ready
2) combine in shaker with ice, 1.5 oz infused tequila, .75 oz cointreau, .33 oz fresh lime juice
3) shake and strain, and garnish with a watermelon slice

Yesterday, I got a chance to meet a new dealership in town.  They had a wonderful room set-up, well actually make that a wonderful house set-up.  The system consisted of Avalon eidolon diamonds, VTL siegfrieds, VTL 7.5 mk2, Accuphase DP-700?, Isoclean Supreme Focus power cords, and some upper level Siltech cabling throughout.  The room was extremely well treated with Golden Acoustic panels.  The biggest beef I had was also a positive that I liked.  They had a keg-erator in the back that while really cool and great for hosting, it had a noisy little engine that kicked on fairly often.  With all the attention to detail paid elsewhere, the keg-erator was an obvious negative to the experience.  They should put it on casters so it could be rolled into another room for critical listening, and pull it out for more social occasions.

Anyway happy listening.

Oh if fears of this site shutting down do come true, I will switch over to Audiogon Audio Clubs.  My username is the same there.

Se7en

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2009, 12:09 am »
Thanks for the offer to host! This should be fun!

I need to check my calendar but I still have those JC1s in my possession  8)

soliver

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2009, 08:52 pm »
Let's hope for a repeat of today's weather on the 4th.

What a lovely day!

I am going out shortly to enjoy some margarita's on a patio, probably Z'Tejas on 6th.

Gabe, you have a nice boss to loan you some amps for about 5 months.  I need a new boss.  :D

Se7en

« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2009, 10:09 pm »

Gabe, you have a nice boss to loan you some amps for about 5 months.  I need a new boss.  :D

Well fortunately for me I have a boss with a brand new set of twins. His boss (wife) made him dismantle his AV room because it was right next to the bedrooms  :nono:

In any event, here I am with the amps and he has no where to put them (except for the closet). Technically speaking, I'm doing him a favor.  8)

soliver

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2009, 11:19 pm »
Alright, i received word from Ayre today that my new top plinth has arrived and will be shipped my way tomorrow.

So other than the weather needs to hold out that day, all obstacles have been overcome and we are on for the 4th.

I am thinking a 1:30pm start time.
I won't be providing lunch, just a variety of finger foods.
I will also get my bar stocked for the signature drink, plus a selection of some other basic cocktails.  If you are a beer drinker, I hate it personally, please bring your own and take it with you at the end of the day.  If beer is left here, it just sits in the fridge forever.

The week before the meet, I will either email or private message everyone that has expressed an interest on this thread or sends me an RSVP email.

Just for your knowledge my place is near Highland Mall in North Central Austin.

If you are jonesing to bring some gear, let me know.  I will have to keep some control on this, as I cannot hold as much as was brought to Gabe's place.  Nor will there be a second system.

Things I would personally be interested in:
-Power cord's, if you want to try something out against the Argento stuff, feel free.
-Amps, I like hearing a variety of good quality amps on my speakers.  They can pretty much be driven by 6 watts or more, so just about all types are fair game.  My system is single-ended (RCA) if that matters.  I know some Bel Canto Ref1000 amps I heard lately hated being driven single-ended.
-Phonostage, my vinyl uses the built-in MM stage in my preamp along with a step-up, but if you have a nice phono stage I would be all ears.
-IC's, I want Argento's but I can't afford Argento's yet.  If you have something that could better my TG Audio's I am all for it.
-Tweaks, any crazy tweak you have had success with, I am open minded.

Delacroix

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2009, 02:18 am »

Yesterday, I got a chance to meet a new dealership in town.  They had a wonderful room set-up, well actually make that a wonderful house set-up.  The system consisted of Avalon eidolon diamonds, VTL siegfrieds, VTL 7.5 mk2, Accuphase DP-700?, Isoclean Supreme Focus power cords, and some upper level Siltech cabling throughout.  The room was extremely well treated with Golden Acoustic panels.  The biggest beef I had was also a positive that I liked.  They had a keg-erator in the back that while really cool and great for hosting, it had a noisy little engine that kicked on fairly often.  With all the attention to detail paid elsewhere, the keg-erator was an obvious negative to the experience.  They should put it on casters so it could be rolled into another room for critical listening, and pull it out for more social occasions.

I think I just visited this same dealer today (up in the far flung 'burbs of Pflugerville?) -- I went to hear the VTL 6.5 preamp but it was hard to know what I was really hearing with it all combined in a mega system with the Eidelons, the Krell SACD player and a pair of Krell Monos. Certainly there is some serious gear in this house/dealership, one of three houses in the company's 'shop', I gather. The set up certainly made music. I told Bill about this group and he mentioned a couple of likely suspects had spent some time there recently....he even threatened to throw his own bash in the summer.....there's life in Austin yet!

soliver

« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2009, 02:52 am »
Yeah, Bill was definately interested in getting involved, especially after I told him that Ne Plus Ultra had hosted a meet in the past.

And yes that was myself and another audio friend, who has another really nice system that is in a bit of disarray right now.  He recently sold his DCS Scarlatti stack, and has not replaced it in the digital realm, nor quite gotten his new analog stuff operational.

audio_builder

Re: Planning an Austin meet for Sat., April 4th, 1:30 PM
« Reply #19 on: 23 Mar 2009, 07:42 pm »
What length IC and PW cord?