UpTone Audio Regen

sfox7076

Re: UpTone Audio Regen
« Reply #120 on: 25 Jun 2015, 03:18 pm »
My playback chain is

MAC Mini (Uptone DC conversion kit with LPS) ---> DanaCables USB Cable ---> Lampizator Big 7 ---> Ziro Audio cables ----> Concert Fidelity LSX ---> Ziro Audio cables ---> custom 1625 based amps ----> DanaCable speaker cables -----> Salk Exoctica 3s.

I have the same speakers as BRM (with some construction differences).  I didn't get sibilance, what I did get was rolled off highs and a bit of loss on bass definition (to me).  It wasn't harsh per se, but was less pleasant than taking it out of the chain.  Note, the Big 7 does not need the 5+ coming in over the USB cable.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2015, 05:36 pm by sfox7076 »

vonnie123

« Reply #121 on: 25 Jun 2015, 05:52 pm »
I am not picking up any sibilance - to be sure I went with a couple of familiar recordings.  My hearing isn't perfect though.....

Using my device in the main media room system.  My listening room isn't quite perfect either, since it's in a shared "great room."

My signal chain using the Regen is JRiver Id (server/renderer)> Schiit Pyst USB cable/Regen>Wyred4Sound DAC-2>Audio Horizons Tube Buffer>Yamaha RX-A3010 (prepro)>W4S STI-500 integrated (and W4S multi-channel amp)>Monitor Audio Gold 9.1 speakers (sub is Martin Logan).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #122 on: 25 Jun 2015, 06:59 pm »
I have sibilance with both devices in series.  Without the iFi it was not an objectional result, but something was 'different'. I will try just the regen tonight if I can w/o iFi to see one more time and report back.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #123 on: 26 Jun 2015, 12:14 am »
So with just the regen unit installed I am still unhappy with the sound. It is weaker, glossed over, less 3D. No sibilance by itself but certainly less bass content from midrange on down. So not a device that I will keep. Is there a return policy?

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #124 on: 26 Jun 2015, 12:37 am »
No sibilance with mine either.  I'm more in line with HAL, the top end is less pronounced in my setup.  But in my case, that's a good thing - I don't lose any detail, it's just more pleasant to listen to.  And the bass is substantially cleaner and clearer.

My chain - dedicated PC music server with SOtM USB card -> Regen Green -> generic USB cable -> Regen Amber -> iFi iDSD Micro DAC -> 6sn7 Tube preamp -> First Watt Aleph J amp -> Serenity Acoustic Super 7 speakers.

Tyson, can you describe the difference you hear using the Green and Amber Regen together vs just the one Regen (and which one) in your system.

Thanks.

BCRich1

« Reply #125 on: 26 Jun 2015, 02:10 am »
I found it difficult to listen to in the beginning, had to use the iFi Filter between my USB Cable and the Regen.
It has been about 6 weeks or so that it has been in my system, just removed the Filter last weekend, I love how it sounds. Can't wait for the Amber.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #126 on: 26 Jun 2015, 02:27 am »
Tyson, can you describe the difference you hear using the Green and Amber Regen together vs just the one Regen (and which one) in your system.

Thanks.

The Green Regen I had in for a few weeks before the Amber came.  The largest improvement was just getting the Regen into the system.  Going to the Amber and also putting them both in together was a very marginal improvement over the single green Regen.  Thats my story and I'm sticking to it :)

TJHUB

« Reply #127 on: 26 Jun 2015, 02:55 am »
I received my Regen (amber) last week.  From the very first listen to today, I've only experienced a very nice improvement in clarity, along with all the great stuff clarity brings.  I've detected nothing negative whatsoever.  I initially powered it with the supplied SMPS, but now it's powered by a modified Teradak linear.   I'm not certain the linear changed anything much.  The Regen is absolutely amazing in every way for me.

kukiman

« Reply #128 on: 26 Jun 2015, 03:26 am »
Hello all!

My setup is:

Lps5v -> ECS LIVA  running daphile-> solid USB adaptor -> regen (Lps6v) -> solid USB adaptor -> deqx hdp4

Perhaps it's not just sibilance but edginess and harshness

Compared to previously used an active optical USB cable (not Corning) and for some reason I can't use the two together;(

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #129 on: 27 Jun 2015, 04:17 am »
Hello all!

My setup is:

Lps5v -> ECS LIVA  running daphile-> solid USB adaptor -> regen (Lps6v) -> solid USB adaptor -> deqx hdp4

Perhaps it's not just sibilance but edginess and harshness

Compared to previously used an active optical USB cable (not Corning) and for some reason I can't use the two together;(

Could you tell what the "active optical USB cable (not Corning)" brand and model is?

Thanks in advance

ozzy

« Reply #130 on: 28 Jun 2015, 05:13 pm »
I own the iFi usb power and also the new power supply for that unit that just came out. The claims to this power supply are remarkable.

This is from the iFi website.
"The central characteristic of iFi is in pursuit of the zenith in audio performance: it leaves no stone unturned. Well, the all new iPOWER is an exemplary example of this. Despite the fact that the iFi Ultra-Low Noise AC/DC adapter was exceptionally quiet and elevated the iUSB and iPhono to punch way beyond their respective categories, the all new iPower is even quieter, up to 10x quieter in fact."

What audio noise floor?
"Measured on the Audio Precision 2, the iPower has an astonishingly low audio band noise floor of just 1uV! To put this into context, iFi’s very own Ultra-Low Noise AC/DC adapter was in a class of its own at 10uV. Compared to a typical audiophile Linear Power Supply which measured at 20uV, it is demonstrably clear AMR/iFi power supply technology is unparalleled."

"Shaping the face of technology, AMR/iFi not only pushes the boundaries of audio design, but power design too. After all, electricity is the “fuel” behind the audio signal. The 12-Element Output Array dynamically suppresses noise in real-time as it makes its way through the mains. Technology like this is quite simply unheard of in audio power design".
"In summary, all the technology behind the iPower would count for little if it was not audible. Well, it is both. With the all-new iPower, the noise floor is virtually inaudible and the all-important level of refinement (whether listening to an analogue or digital source) has been amplified several notches."

Anyway, I will try this power supply with my Regen when I get it in a few weeks.
It appears to be a 9V with 1.5 A capacity. Are those specs ok for use with the Regen?