Bourbon!!!!

LadyDog

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #40 on: 17 Feb 2006, 07:51 pm »
Had the opportunity the other weekend to try George T. Stagg.  As Tyson has already stated, an excellent bourbon.  Could easily taste the sweet overlay, kind of orange citrus in nature.  

Don't need much of the stuff, as my bottle was 141.7 proof.  Interesting thing about the Stagg, supposedly each batch has a different proof to it.  The write the proof on the bottle's label.

Highly recommend.

Regards,
Jeff

skrivis

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #41 on: 17 Feb 2006, 08:09 pm »
Quote from: LadyDog
Had the opportunity the other weekend to try George T. Stagg.  As Tyson has already stated, an excellent bourbon.  Could easily taste the sweet overlay, kind of orange citrus in nature.  

Don't need much of the stuff, as my bottle was 141.7 proof.  Interesting thing about the Stagg, supposedly each batch has a different proof to it.  The write the proof on the bottle's label.

Highly recommend.

Regards,
Jeff

Whew! That's potent stuff. Can you actually taste anything besides the ethanol? :)

I'd think this is a good case for Bourbon and branch water. :)

Thebiker

Re: Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #42 on: 21 Sep 2006, 02:33 pm »
Personally, I'm a scotch drinker, but my Dad was a Jack Daniels drinker.  JD is most definitely NOT a bourbon.  It is a sour mash whiskey.  This was pointed out earlier in this thread, but obviously some folks don't get it.  My scientific side just wants to get it right.  My music loving artistic side doesn't really care.

Just my 2 cents towards accuracy.

BobC

« Reply #43 on: 3 Nov 2006, 04:46 pm »
I was inspired to dust off my bottle of Blantons.  Took it with crushed ice.  Very nice, though I'm not a connoisseur.  I liked it so much that I bought another bottle as a gift for a co-worker.  Any thoughts about Blantons?

chadh

« Reply #44 on: 3 Nov 2006, 05:40 pm »

Slightly off topic, but I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folk about this.

Years ago, a Swiss friend of mine studying in the US told me that his father (a jet-setting French businessman, constantly back and forth between Paris and New York by Concorde) had introduced him to "pure rye whiskey."  This was pretty funny, as with his Swiss-French accent, he found it impossible to pronounce "pure rye whiskey."  But he tried.  Over and over again, we would visit liquor shops so he could ask if they had any "pure rye whiskey", only to be greeted with confusion.

Is there such a thing as "pure rye whiskey"?  And if so, is it usually made in shacks in the Appalachian backwoods?  Or, as my friend would have me believe, is it a delicacy, distilled lovingly in single barrel quantities and sold at astronomical prices in ritzy New York City lounges?

Chad

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #45 on: 5 Nov 2006, 12:53 am »

Slightly off topic, but I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folk about this.

Years ago, a Swiss friend of mine studying in the US told me that his father (a jet-setting French businessman, constantly back and forth between Paris and New York by Concorde) had introduced him to "pure rye whiskey."  This was pretty funny, as with his Swiss-French accent, he found it impossible to pronounce "pure rye whiskey."  But he tried.  Over and over again, we would visit liquor shops so he could ask if they had any "pure rye whiskey", only to be greeted with confusion.

Is there such a thing as "pure rye whiskey"?  And if so, is it usually made in shacks in the Appalachian backwoods?  Or, as my friend would have me believe, is it a delicacy, distilled lovingly in single barrel quantities and sold at astronomical prices in ritzy New York City lounges?

Chad
Chad....Don't know the real answer to your question....but did find this about pure rye whiskey........a term used before Prohibition......and another link........ :o

chadh

« Reply #46 on: 6 Nov 2006, 03:11 am »

Many thanks, Mr Wolf.

Chad

maxwalrath

« Reply #47 on: 6 Nov 2006, 03:19 am »
Tyson, I bought the Elijah Craig as a gift a while back for a buddy....pretty much based on your review of it.  My buddy said he liked it a lot, and I got to try it recently and definitely agree. Very good stuff....thanks! :thumb: 

Don Maico

« Reply #48 on: 7 Nov 2006, 07:04 pm »
Hi
As a UK resident i have to say i much prefer bourbon to Scotch- Jack Daniels for me or better still Gentleman Jack, We over here are rather limited for choice I'm afraid but JD'll do nicely. Does it have French or maybe Cajun origin per chance? Just the name thats all
« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2006, 07:22 am by Don Maico »

Don Maico

« Reply #49 on: 8 Nov 2006, 07:25 am »
Europeans are familiar with the name “bourbon” as a French royal family, but you may be surprised to learn that long ago American settlers named a county in the US after the French Bourbons as well. It is from this county that American Bourbon originates and got its name.

jcrane

« Reply #50 on: 20 Nov 2006, 06:18 am »
Well if I remember correctly I believe by LAW bourbon can only be produced in the state of KY.
Therefore Jack D can never be a bourbon but is a very popular TN whiskey!

Jamie

mrmusic

« Reply #51 on: 20 Nov 2006, 07:34 am »
The Elijah Craig is a great all rounder, most any whiskey drinker will like it.  The George T. Stagg is a monument to the whiskey maker's craft...to be taken with only a teaspoon of water and great reverence.  But,,,,,,,let us not ignore the complex and powerful, ten year old, cask strength Laphroiag.  Around 120 proof, and full of the wonderful "burnt rope, road tar, seaweed, marzipan, vanilla, toffee and chocolate" for which the better Scotches have become famous.  The drink is great, but the descriptive language makes audio reviews look positively tame.  Funny thing is, if you sip slowly and pay attention, you can actually taste all of those things in the Scotch.  A warning to newbies!  Only the good ones are worth your nickel...the rest is kerosene.  If you are just starting out, try the twelve year old Dalmore.  Rich but relatively mild and a distinct departure from Bourbon or sour mash.

"Eighty years old and never used glasses.....drank straight from the bottle"
Henny Youngman

TIC

« Reply #52 on: 13 Dec 2006, 06:29 pm »
Don Maico,

I thought the subject of Bourbon County, Kentucky may come up sooner or later in this thread. I was born there, in the city of Paris, KY and most of my family still live there.

Interestingly, there is not a single bourbon distiller in Bourbon County. However, many neaby counties have famous distilleries. My father was born in Woodford County which has several distilleries around its towns of Versailles and Lawrenceburg. Jefferson County KY also has several distillers I believe.

BTW, I'm not a bourbon drinker (well, not since high school in the 1970's). Is it true that anything sold as Bourbon must be produced in Kentucky? This would fall in line with the rules associated with Champagne and Cognac, right?

Enjoy,

TIC

ctviggen

« Reply #53 on: 13 Dec 2006, 09:03 pm »
Yep.  As for the bourbon v. scotch debate, I find a lot of the bourbons taste very similar, whereas the scotches can be quite different.  Compare, for instance, Ardbeg with Springbank with Belvanie with Lagavulin. 

ctviggen

« Reply #54 on: 13 Dec 2006, 09:04 pm »
For my personal tastes, it goes scotch, then irish whisky/whiskey, then bourbon.  Not sure where rye whiskeys fit here, though. 

LadyDog

« Reply #55 on: 16 Jan 2007, 04:30 pm »
Going over the list to see what I may not have tried yet.

I may be mistaken but if memory serves me, Bourbon doesn't have to be made in Kentucky, or specifically Bourbon County, to qualify as bourbon, but many think the state's limestone spring
water creates the best natural additive to the spirit. Bourbon does need to be made from a mash that's at least 51 percent corn, weigh in at less then 160 proof (or 80 percent alcohol) and have been aged for at least two years in new oak barrels, the inside of which has been charred to flavor and filter the whiskey.

Anyway, found a few more to add to my taste-bud list.

jake49er

« Reply #56 on: 4 Mar 2007, 05:10 pm »

The following is from "The Spirits of Kentucky: Small-Batch and Single-Barrel Bourbons Revive the Good Old Days of Whiskey" by Mark Vaughan appeared in Cigar Aficionado, Autumn 1993.

Full text at:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/history.html

Straight Kentucky Bourbon is to blended whiskey what a demarcated wine is to ordinary table wine. It takes its name from Bourbon county, Kentucky, once the major transshipment site for distilled spirits heading down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers to New Orleans. Barrels shipped from its ports were stamped with the county's name, and Bourbon and whiskey soon became synonymous. Today, 90 percent of all Bourbon is made in Kentucky, most of it in Jefferson, Franklin, Nelson, and Anderson counties, the heart of Bluegrass Country.

As with French-appellation wines, there are strict laws governing just what a Bourbon must be to be labeled as such. For example, at least 51 percent of the grain used in making the whiskey must be corn (most distillers use 65 to 75 percent corn). Bourbon must be aged for a minimum of two years in new, white oak barrels that have been charred. Nothing can be added at bottling to enhance flavor, add sweetness or alter color. Though technically Bourbon can be made anywhere, Kentucky is the only state allowed to put its name on the bottle. And as Kentucky distillers are quick to point out, Bourbon is not Bourbon unless the label says so.

Therefore, some very fine American whiskeys aren't called Kentucky Bourbon. Many look the same, and some even taste very similar, depending on their production style. Jack Daniels, a Tennessee sour mash whiskey, however, is charcoal-filtered, which many experts say gives it a different character. But up to and after the charcoal filtering, the Jack Daniels's production is much the same as any other Bourbon. Gentleman Jack, a superpremium entry into the whiskey field, also doesn't carry a Kentucky Bourbon designation. George Dickel is another highly rated Tennessee whiskey.

If Bourbon is the appellation wine of American whiskeys, then single-barrel and small-batch Bourbons are the grand crus of Bourbons. These superpremium, high-cost spirits should not be confused with single-malt Scotch, which simply denotes a Scotch from a single distillery that has not been blended with neutral spirits or whiskeys from other distilleries. Since no Bourbon is blended, it would all qualify under Scottish law as single malt.

jake49er

« Reply #57 on: 4 Mar 2007, 05:18 pm »

ctviggen

« Reply #58 on: 4 Mar 2007, 05:29 pm »
I wish whoever makes the rules for bourbon would loosen the rules, because I personally think that bourbon is too similar.  I've tried quite a few different bourbons, and it's really hard to tell much of a difference between them.  The differences just are too small for my palate.  Contrast this with scotch, which has tremendous differences betweeen brands.  Compare Ardbeg 10 versus Clynelish versus Talisker 10 versus Springbank 15.  Each of these is dramatically different.  In fact, I no longer drink bourbon, and I gave away all my bourbon.

LadyDog

« Reply #59 on: 22 Mar 2007, 09:06 pm »
My father held his annual St. Patricks/Birthday party over the past weekend.   

The open bar consisted of: Blanton's, Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Kentucky Spirit, Rock Hills, Jeffersonville Reserve, Woodford Reserve, 1792, Makers Mark, and George T. Stagg. 

Was a sight for sore eyes.  Ment to take a picture of it.

At 140.6 proof, that Stagg has a definite kick to it.