Potentially stupid question re: ethernet input for microRendu

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Potentially stupid question re: ethernet input for microRendu
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2016, 07:36 pm »
Although the Airport Express has always worked as an Airplay endpoint device with any router, I've had less success trying to use it in Wireless Extender or Wireless Bridge mode with non-Apple routers.  Kind of hit and miss.

But seeing that matthewpartrick has an Apple Time Capsule, using the AE as a wireless bridge should be no problem.

Steve
You can take the Airport Express and plug the µRendu into it and set a static IP on the µRendu and it will work like that without outside network (Internet) access.  I did this at the G2G we had and it worked flawless in DLNA mode with JRiver on my MacBook Air. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jul 2016, 10:28 pm »
I am only interested in this device if it gives better sound. I have zero interest in roon or tidal software's unless they contribute to better sound.

Yes, the µRendu is purpose built.  The only way you will know is to try.  That's really all there is to it.  You could still use the MS-2 to host JRiver and your music.  OR just get a sonic orbiter.

FWIW, BRM, I moved up from an Aries (w/Femto clocks and external JS-2 supply) to my current SonicTransporter I5 w/Roon and microRendu. Definite improvement in sound quality. Tonality is slightly more relaxed while having more detail, particularly within the soundstage. And Andrew Gillis of SGC is very easy to work with and had me kicking back to music listening in no time.

Michael Lavorgna has jumped on the Roon/MicroRendu train as well: http://www.audiostream.com/content/sonore-simple-design-microrendu#wU1XBAMir060fWgU.97
:green:

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2016, 08:29 pm by poseidonsvoice »

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #22 on: 23 Jul 2016, 08:36 pm »
Ok, Tom and Steve have confirmed that I have in fact been using the airport express in the manner I hope to.  Thx guys. 

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2016, 03:07 am »
A happy ending to the microrendu saga.  I spoke with Vinnie Rossi and Jesus at Sonore over the past few days and we were able to get my issues sorted out.  Here's the synopsis.

After a week or so with some help from Vinnie Rossi and the awesome tech support at Sonore, we are up and running.

I first restarted my whole home wifi network, renaming the time capsule and getting new passwords. I then set up the airport express as a wireless network extender, which required to hard reset the airport express, and confirmed that the home network is indeed working. That required the airport utility.

The next step was to hook up the microrendu to the airport express via Ethernet cable. Once I ran diagnostics on the microrendu and confirmed we had the updated firmware, we moved on to ensuring the system was booting up on the correct order. It's important (apparently) that the DAC boot up first and then the microrendu. So, once I did that, the Microrendu automatically popped up in Roon as an audio out.  To be clear I am not using the Airport Express as an AirPlay device, I'm using it as a wireless network extender.  That means it's able to carry lossless information via wifi, not lossy info via Airplay (two totally different things.)

Thanks so much to Vinnie Rossi and to Jesus from Sonore for their help. Just wanted to let you know how it all turned out for the best!

Matthew
Modify message