NAS recommendations please

dreamtheatervn

Re: NAS recommendations please
« Reply #20 on: 25 Dec 2016, 12:14 am »
Niether will sound better. The NAS does not contribute to the sound.
Both will still require a music server like the Melco N1A to receive the digital stream from the NAS to output into a DAC.

Thanks for the reply.
In theory NAS is just a HDD box for digital storage & streaming purpose.
However, Why do in some topics people points out that when replacing HDD/SDD or LPS sound will be improved as well? If it is true, different NAS will have different sounds.
Fyi, the Melco N1A can work like a NAS.

jpm

« Reply #21 on: 25 Dec 2016, 01:37 am »
My gut agrees with JRACE. In fact there are so many items to tweak between the NAS and your end device that I'd focus on all of them before the NAS itself: Ethernet cables; fiber media converters; linear power supplies etc. As has been observed, there are dedicated audio devices which also handle the storage (Melco, Aries Mini etc.). If absolute sound quality from every aspect is your focus you may find it easier to go in that direction.

A NAS is a computer dedicated to managing data storage from an IT perspective. NAS devices really need to be evaluated within that context, rather than a dedicated audiophile context. If you decide to go the dedicated audio device route, you might find that you still want a NAS as a backup / failover repository.

Going to the other extreme, I took a look at the Qnap devices which get recommendations for running Roon very well. These run intel i series processors with respectable graphics, can be connected directly to your TV ... and they cost significantly more than a NAS designed just to manage your storage requirements. It quickly became clear to me that I would be best served keeping my roon server on a separate dedicated computer.

- Long story short, buy a NAS to do what a NAS does best. Fault tolerance (RAID 5), reliability, manufacturer reputation, Manufacturer support
- If you intend to run Roon, you simply can't go wrong with a dedicated Intel NUC. In the near future, Roon plan to release "core kit" which can turn that NUC into a purpose built linux driven Roon core.
- Renderer - the bit that takes the network signal and presents it to your DAC, like the Sonore microRendu

For NAS recommendations, like others here I have been very happy with my Synology units. I've had four, and each time I've upgraded I've found their resale values to be like the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry of the segment.

dreamtheatervn

« Reply #22 on: 25 Dec 2016, 05:01 am »
Thanks Jpm.
We are audiophiles and posting our audio experiences in Audio Circle, not IT circle. That's why we rather focus on the audio (sound quality) side than other sides. And I am sure with you people are reading this topic also curious about which NAS sounds best?
I have just sold my Melco N1A which was working as a Nas in my audio system because I think there are many cheaper, good Nas out there (never try a Nas before). However my finding seems going back to higher version of Melco because no clues or a clear path to go.  :cry:
Anybody help!

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2016, 07:50 pm »
Code: [Select]
And I am sure with you people are reading this topic also curious about which NAS sounds best?I don't because I'm not superstitious.
How could a NAS make a difference SQ wise as it is simply delivering packages of data to the renderer?

srb

« Reply #24 on: 25 Dec 2016, 08:22 pm »
How could a NAS make a difference SQ wise as it is simply delivering packages of data to the renderer?

It does to the same people who are also quite sure that an "audiophile" CAT6 cable makes a SQ difference.  They want to parallel the effects that jitter and transmission line reflections might have on a digital audio stream (post renderer).

dreamtheatervn

« Reply #25 on: 26 Dec 2016, 08:07 am »
@Vincent Kars, srb: please prove it and explain why does it sound better when we upgrade ethernet cables; fiber media converters; linear power supplies etc? Thank you.

If it really happens (not effect to SQ at all) I will buy a Qnap and report to you guys about the sound.

gregcss

« Reply #26 on: 26 Dec 2016, 12:36 pm »
@Vincent Kars, srb: please prove it and explain why does it sound better when we upgrade ethernet cables; fiber media converters; linear power supplies etc? Thank you.

If it really happens (not effect to SQ at all) I will buy a Qnap and report to you guys about the sound.
@dreamtheatervn ,great group by the way, I think you are asking/expecting too much here. VK and SRB are saying that they do not believe there is a difference, and I fall into the same camp as they do. I do not have "proof", "evidence", nor measurements to back me up, but I dont need to, nor do they. If you are adamant about this proof I suggest you buy both and do your own study.  :thumb:

gregcss

« Reply #27 on: 26 Dec 2016, 12:39 pm »

gregcss

« Reply #28 on: 26 Dec 2016, 12:39 pm »
@dreamtheatervn ,great group by the way, I think you are asking/expecting too much here. VK and SRB are saying that they do not believe there is a difference, and I fall into the same camp as they do. I do not have "proof", "evidence", nor measurements to back me up, but I dont need to, nor do they. If you are adamant about this proof I suggest you buy both and do your own study.  :thumb:

P.S. I'm not trying to come off as a d!@&, just being blunt I suppose. No negativity intended.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #29 on: 27 Dec 2016, 10:17 pm »

Can you "prove" that it does sound better?

The issues with ethernet is that it is a "packet switched" system.
Basically the information (lets say the song you are playing) is chopped up into small chunks (~1500 bytes).
The packets are then transmitted to to the music server. Each packet is labeled, and the packets can even be sent out of order, and often mixed with other packets.
The server collects the packets and reassembles them.
(a 4min FLAC encoded song may have approx. 78,360,128 bytes, or 52,000 packets)

At this point the music server then converts the reassembled file into PCM to output to the DAC.

You cannot add, nor take away, the information inside the packet. If you did the music server would reject (drop) the packets due to errors, and then then NAS would resend the dropped packets.

Nothing between the bytes on the hard drive and the music server can change the information inside the packets.

Even if you truly believe that it is even remotely possible to influence the sound at the NAS level, the possible change would be so negligible that you would hear far greater improvements by spending your dollars elsewhere.

clive101

« Reply #30 on: 29 Dec 2016, 03:48 pm »
Perhaps try a demo of the New Melco N1ZH its a server and player all in one.
I have tested J River on Laptop ( Sort of NAS ) connected to Dave via Chord USB Sarum not connected to the mains ( to stop RF ) and the Melco with Jitterbug same configuration.
Melco wins and can rip your CD collection and make easy back ups.
Yes a NAS can do other things but if your after sound quality the Melco is a very good choice IMO.

dreamtheatervn

« Reply #31 on: 30 Dec 2016, 08:49 am »
Thanks for all the inputs.
Before going true NAS way, i use my laptop Dell as a NAS to stream data by Foobar Upnp to network player Marantz Na8005, a reapeter Tplink Mp3020 in between as a switch that powered by USB front port of the NA8005. Sound not so good as Melco N1A but acceptable for 16/44.1 however many droppouts when streaming hires, especially with DSD.
It seems to get better sound following devices need to be added if going true NAS:
- A good NAS + SSD
- A giga switch
- Linear power supplies to NAS & switch
- An Optical converter between NAS & switch
Do you think anymore device to add? Please advise cost as well for me to sum up. If it costs less than Melco's cost just a little bit I would rather going back to audiophile music servers / (Melco, Aurender, ...)

Btw, do you know fidata hfas1-s10 http://www.iodata.jp/fidata/product/? It is cheaper than Melco N1Z...

JRace

« Reply #32 on: 30 Dec 2016, 05:07 pm »

It seems to get better sound following devices need to be added if going true NAS:
- A good NAS + SSD
- A giga switch
- Linear power supplies to NAS & switch
- An Optical converter between NAS & switch
You do not need any of that, just a NAS and decent network connection.
Your drop out problem is because you were using a portable wifi access point that can only do 150Mbps.

If you use a regular NAS (or even just your DELL) with a wired Ethernet system you would have no drop outs.
If you must use WiFi then get a proper wifi access point (wireless router).

JRace

« Reply #33 on: 1 Jan 2017, 09:13 pm »
Here is a comparison of off the shelf NAS:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10826/commercial-nas-operating-systems-a-comprehensive-overview

The following vendors and OS versions are currently covered in this article

Asustor [ ADM 2.6.5R9N1 ]
Netgear [ ReadyNAS OS 6.6.0 ]
QNAP [ QTS 4.2.2 ]
Synology [ DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2 ]
Western Digital [ My Cloud OS 2.21.19 ]
ZyXEL [ FW v5.20(AATB.0) ]

dreamtheatervn

« Reply #34 on: 3 Jan 2017, 08:57 am »

Just replaced tplink repeater by cheap switch but found out the LAN port of my laptop was malfunctioned that I had to stream music via wifi. Sound very good for 16/44.1 made me think about to build a PC instead of buying a NAS. Save a ton of bucks!

clive101

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jan 2017, 07:41 pm »
Just replaced tplink repeater by cheap switch but found out the LAN port of my laptop was malfunctioned that I had to stream music via wifi. Sound very good for 16/44.1 made me think about to build a PC instead of buying a NAS. Save a ton of bucks!

Just out of interest what DAC are you using as most of my music is 16/24 and the improvement I get from the Melco N1ZH and Dave is astonishing.

Running the laptop to Dave did not have the same SQ IMO not worth running a NAS or laptop.

You can Rip with the Melco and it does the tagging as well, and a lot less wires and complication.

dreamtheatervn

« Reply #36 on: 6 Jan 2017, 12:57 pm »
Wow Melco n1z and DAVE! Are you using USB connection for that couple? IMO, Melco's LAN ports are an advance over many others brand because they separate LAN ports into two that they call "isolation" for network streaming and playing.
 If you use USB connection perhap you consider n1z/2 (https://www.dela-audio.com, Melco & Dela are all from Buffalo) , just my two cents.

I am streaming via Lan by aThinkpad laptop to network player Marantz NA8005 now, sound ok.

clive101

« Reply #37 on: 6 Jan 2017, 01:53 pm »
Wow Melco n1z and DAVE! Are you using USB connection for that couple? IMO, Melco's LAN ports are an advance over many others brand because they separate LAN ports into two that they call "isolation" for network streaming and playing.
 If you use USB connection perhap you consider n1z/2 (https://www.dela-audio.com, Melco & Dela are all from Buffalo) , just my two cents.

I am streaming via Lan by aThinkpad laptop to network player Marantz NA8005 now, sound ok.

I am using the Melco direct to the Dave with USB, the Melco is the player and storage device sending the digital stream via USB to the Dave.

I use one standard cat 5e lead for control the Melco via BubbleUPnP on android and for internet access ( updates and tagging the data base ) and hence do not need a fancy cable for internet or control but thanks for the advice.