"near-field specific" speakers?

EthanH

"near-field specific" speakers?
« on: 20 Jul 2014, 02:29 pm »
Hoping that someone can clear this up for me - I understand that there are a number of speakers that are designed for near-field use (for example, studio monitors), but is there anything other than the size of the drivers that gives them the "near-field" designation?  In other words, would an active 2-way studio monitor using a 1" tweeter and 6" woofer be any less suited for mid-field listening than a passive hifi monitor using similarly sized drivers?  Is the dispersion tweaked in such a way that would make them poorly suited for regular home use? 

I am trying to put together a second system and the thought of active speakers is tempting.  This would be mainly for computer/ipod source material, and would be listened to mid-field and off-axis at times.  I don't see why, for instance, a Dynaudio Focus 140 would be ok for such a setup but a Dynaudio BM6A would not be, but then again I'm not an engineer/speaker designer.  Thanks.  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: "near-field specific" speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2014, 03:39 pm »
Coherence (driver integration) is huge in near-field applications. Active designs tend to be better at this, as are single or co-axial driver designs.

Note that actives have low voltage crossovers that can be much more sophisticated.

Near field need less ultimate output and less bass output.

Active designs have numerous advantages beyond coherence (more dynamic, ruler flat frequency response, deeper/fuller bass just to name a few).
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2014, 10:53 pm by JLM »

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2014, 08:49 pm »
Near field listening can be done with almost any speaker. As the name implies, you are listening to your speakers and your music in a very close environment. This means that for the most part, the acoustics of your room have been removed. There are some trade-offs listening to music in this way, one is that you usually can't share the music with someone else, as the sweet spot is very diminished. It is a perfect method for use in a smallish room or a room with really screwed up acoustics......

bummrush

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2014, 09:27 pm »
I use bigger speakers 19h by9 w by 15 d.I sit 5 ft away in a 12 by 8 bylike 9 wide.Nothing short of super sound.Clements 201 speakers  8 in woofer. 1 in tweeter and still a super spacious sound, of course alot is due to the inherent quality of the speaker

EthanH

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2014, 12:19 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I get the idea of near-field listening, but I guess my question is:  would active studio monitors (which are usually designed specifically for near-field applications) sound okay setup like normal consumer hifi speakers?  That is, let's say I've got a pair of Totem Model 1s on stands in my living room - could I just drop a pair of Adam A5Xs or Genelecs in their place, or would the studio monitors sound off in such a setup due to their being designed specifically for near-field applications? 

To me a studio monitor looks just like any other speaker, but I honestly have no idea whether they're designed with different dispersion or frequency response characteristics that would make them not ideal for a home hifi setup.  If studio monitors are just home hifi monitors with built in amplificaiton that would be great.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2014, 12:51 am »
Studio monitors are designed for work, not pleasure.  They typically strive for a dry, analytical sound with flat frequency response in a studio setting (sitting on/near a mixing board).  Their purpose is to find all the warts while helping reveal how the initial mix might sound in a broad range of applications.  (Mastering speakers, typically huge/expensive that high-end audiophiles would recognize, are used for final production.)

Home audio speakers are designed to entertain, to satisfy whatever is emotionally rewarding to the customer.  (IMO very few audiophiles really want the truth.)

Active monitors that have been recommended for home use include Adam F5, AVi ADM9RS, Focal CMS 40, Genelec M030, KEF X300A, Paradigm A2, and Quad 9AS.  Prices for these range from $500/pair to $2800/pair.  Some also include digital inputs (meaning they have built-in DACs).  With the advent of using home/laptop computers as music servers the interest in powered and active speakers is growing.

Note that active speakers have one amp per driver and that the amps are between the drivers and the crossover.  Powered speakers also have specially selected/designed amps built into the speaker cabinet but work like a conventional home system with the crossover between the drivers and the amp.  Many powered speakers have the amps for two speakers built into one cabinet. 

Recommended powered monitors include Audioengine, PSB Alpha PS1, and Vanatoo.  Prices range from $250/pair to $500/pair for these and again some include digital inputs (with DACs).

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2014, 01:27 pm »
I am thoroughly enjoying my Adam F7 actives in a desk/near-field set up. I auditioned several different active "studio monitors", and while I did not care for most of them (they seemed well suited for "work", as JLM stated, vs. pleasure), the Adams were the exception (to my ears). Pure enjoyment. I have not set them up for larger field listening as you wish to do, but I HOPE they will perform superbly like that as well, as I might end up using these in such a manner in the future.

Mine are not the F7X, but the F7. These models do differ in things like driver materials, so what I've stated about the F7 (pleasurable musicality abilities) may not apply to the "X" model. Don't know. Just sayin'.