Bryston Loudspeakers

rmurray

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #80 on: 14 Aug 2011, 11:32 am »
I would still like to know more about their drivers and crossovers.  :dunno:

spinner

« Reply #81 on: 14 Aug 2011, 11:37 am »
Hello James. Will your speakers be available through my Bryston dealer ? I don't beleive I would buy anything on line without hearing ,seeing and smelling.   lol :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #82 on: 14 Aug 2011, 11:45 am »
Hello James. Will your speakers be available through my Bryston dealer ? I don't beleive I would buy anything on line without hearing ,seeing and smelling.   lol :thumb:

Hi spinner,

Not sure yet how this will play out - I am really building them for my own monitoring purposes and not sure yet if I want to get into the speaker business :scratch:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #83 on: 14 Aug 2011, 02:35 pm »
I would still like to know more about their drivers and crossovers.  :dunno:

hi rmurray

The drivers are designed and custom made by Axiom. The crossover at this point is a DSP and I am comparing that to our analog 10B electronic crossover.

James

sfraser

« Reply #84 on: 14 Aug 2011, 03:02 pm »
hi rmurray

The drivers are designed and custom made by Axiom. The crossover at this point is a DSP and I am comparing that to our analog 10B electronic crossover.

James
Who designed the cabinet James? Anything special regarding bracing, damping etc?

Cheers,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #85 on: 14 Aug 2011, 03:20 pm »
Who designed the cabinet James? Anything special regarding bracing, damping etc?

Cheers,

Actually the cabinet design is interesting - there seems it be a specific point where it seems to work better than other points when you look at the resonance characteristics of the box and amount of bracing.  in other words you can have too little bracing but you can also have too much bracing :scratch:

james

mr_bill

« Reply #86 on: 14 Aug 2011, 03:24 pm »
The Axiom drivers are all excellent in design and are all custom to Axiom speakers. I looked around a lot for a partner on this and I was mighty impressed with the Axiom company and the science behind there loudspeakers (they even have their own Anechoic Chamber in the factory).  Also the engineer behind a lot of the Mirage products (API) is now one of the designers at Axiom and I am working with him on this project.

The comments are indicative though of how people just dismiss a product like Axiom because it does not appear to cost enough.  I can tell you the M80 - which I have in my room now is one hell of a speaker. :thumb:

james

James, the pictures on your signature doesn't look the picture of the M80 on the Axiom website? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #87 on: 14 Aug 2011, 03:28 pm »
James, the pictures on your signature doesn't look the picture of the M80 on the Axiom website?

That's the prototype of the JT-1's on my Profile picture.

james

Here's the setup at home in room 3 with the 80 's :thumb:

« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2011, 05:06 pm by James Tanner »

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #88 on: 14 Aug 2011, 04:07 pm »

The comments are indicative though of how people just dismiss a product like Axiom because it does not appear to cost enough.  I can tell you the M80 - which I have in my room now is one hell of a speaker. :thumb:

james

Speaking for myself James, I wasn't dissing Axiom's products but rather noting that they are not known for offering products at the price point you were discussing for the "JT-1" as I'm sure you will agree. They may well be capable of making speakers which justify an ask that is multiples of what their current top of the line product goes for. It's just not a market that Axiom is known for catering to.

D.D.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #89 on: 14 Aug 2011, 04:20 pm »
Speaking for myself James, I wasn't dissing Axiom's products but rather noting that they are not known for offering products at the price point you were discussing for the "JT-1" as I'm sure you will agree. They may well be capable of making speakers which justify an ask that is multiples of what their current top of the line product goes for. It's just not a market that Axiom is known for catering to.

D.D.

That's the part that caught my interest when I was researching this.  Here is a company that for 30 years has been designing loudspeakers and have probably forgot more than I know. I ordered a pair of the 80's and was really surprised at the performance level.  I spoke with the owner Ian and realized that expensive does not necessarily mean high performance.

Also I am a little biased as I was involved many years ago in the blind listening tests at the Canadian research facility in Ottawa when Floyd Toole was running all the speaker tests (as was Ian) and I learned a lot about what matters when it comes good sounding loudspeakers.

james

Diamond Dog

« Reply #90 on: 14 Aug 2011, 04:30 pm »

Also I am a little biased as I was involved many years ago in the blind listening tests at the Canadian research facility in Ottawa when Floyd Toole was running all the speaker tests (as was Ian) and I learned a lot about what matters when it comes good sounding loudspeakers.

james

Rich hand-selected Curly Hubba-Hubbawood veneers hand-buffed to an opulent lustre ?  :rotflmao:

D.D.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #91 on: 14 Aug 2011, 04:35 pm »
Here's what the JT-1's would look like in Black Gloss and Walnut

james

Diamond Dog

« Reply #92 on: 14 Aug 2011, 04:44 pm »

James: Curious - any pictures with the grills on ?

D.D.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #93 on: 14 Aug 2011, 04:46 pm »
James: Curious - any pictures with the grills on ?

D.D.

Hi,

We are looking at that now and it seems like most prefer a two piece grill with a space below the mids.

Jamesc

PRELUDE

« Reply #94 on: 14 Aug 2011, 05:10 pm »
James, you might be interested in to hear this one.Long time ago my friend came over and droped 4 12" drivers by my house and told me he hates them he does not need them and he do not want any money for it and left.Well I started fooling around with them and this is story back to ST amps and SST was not in the market yet.I could not get the sound right even one time I gave up and put them in the garbage but I quickly changed my mind and brought them back in.After a year I was reading a book and striked to the word ISOBARIC and they said it could be used in speaker design.To make long story short I build a three way active but I used this drivers as ISOBARIC configuration and drived the with a pair 7Bst.ohhhh
I made a cover because I did not want him to see the driver and called him up for listening. We sit down and start a music after 15 min of classical music he told me that he could live with it forever and I took the cover panels off.When he saw the drivers he almost droped his phone that was in his hand and ask me that what happend? I told him a lot of things happened.
And the driver was a $20 paper cone SONY.

mrhyfy

« Reply #95 on: 14 Aug 2011, 05:11 pm »
May I respectfully suggest an option for dark coloured woofers?

PRELUDE

« Reply #96 on: 14 Aug 2011, 05:12 pm »
Here's what the JT-1's would look like in Black Gloss and Walnut

james
I would take the Walnut :thumb:

mr_bill

« Reply #97 on: 14 Aug 2011, 05:25 pm »
Are the JT-1 drivers the same and the M80 drivers with the exception of the second tweeter?

I like the black gloss JT-1.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #98 on: 14 Aug 2011, 05:26 pm »
Are the JT-1 drivers the same and the M80 drivers with the exception of the second tweeter?

I like the black gloss JT-1.

Similar but some changes required.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #99 on: 14 Aug 2011, 05:28 pm »
James, you might be interested in to hear this one.Long time ago my friend came over and droped 4 12" drivers by my house and told me he hates them he does not need them and he do not want any money for it and left.Well I started fooling around with them and this is story back to ST amps and SST was not in the market yet.I could not get the sound right even one time I gave up and put them in the garbage but I quickly changed my mind and brought them back in.After a year I was reading a book and striked to the word ISOBARIC and they said it could be used in speaker design.To make long story short I build a three way active but I used this drivers as ISOBARIC configuration and drived the with a pair 7Bst.ohhhh
I made a cover because I did not want him to see the driver and called him up for listening. We sit down and start a music after 15 min of classical music he told me that he could live with it forever and I took the cover panels off.When he saw the drivers he almost droped his phone that was in his hand and ask me that what happend? I told him a lot of things happened.
And the driver was a $20 paper cone SONY.

I think as you discovered that you have to think of the total system and the way all the parts interact within the whole.

James