New Product Availability

westcoast

New Product Availability
« on: 26 Jul 2005, 10:38 am »
Hey Curt.  Can you give us an early forecast as to when the Audiophile preamp and the new active crossovers will be available for shipment?

Curt

Re: New Product Availability
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2005, 02:59 pm »
Quote from: westcoast
Hey Curt.  Can you give us an early forecast as to when the Audiophile preamp and the new active crossovers will be available for shipment?

I'm doing some R&D on line level gain stages at the moment. Reevaluating my original designs, this is a key building block and it can be much more complex than it sounds.

Next I'll update the schematics and check each components features. We will also be changing the power supply a little to improve noise performance for the high-gain/ high-efficiency speaker guys. I hope to be in production in a about two months or less and new product should be selling before Christmas.

I'm shooting for the PT-2, PT-3 first and then the Audiophile last. Components should become available in this same order.

This is all I've got right now. We are working on this.

conorj

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2005, 10:42 pm »
Quote from: Curt
I'm doing some R&D on line level gain stages at the moment. Reevaluating my original designs, this is a key building block and it can be much more complex than it sounds.

Next I'll update the schematics and check each components features. We will also be changing the power supply a little to improve noise performance for the high-gain/ high-efficiency speaker guys. I hope to be in production in a about two months or less and new product should be selling before Christmas.

I'm shooting for the PT-2, PT ...

Curt,
Can we get an update on the availability of the Audiophile preamp and the active crossovers?

Conor

Curt

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2005, 06:38 pm »
Quote from: conorj
Curt,
Can we get an update on the availability of the Audiophile preamp and the active crossovers?

Conor

Hi Connor,

I just posted an update in "What's News" you can read what's going on at IRD and with the new compnents here:  http://www.irdaudio.com/index.htm

Thank you for your interest.

dawkimi

Purist preamp
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2005, 05:05 am »
Hi Curt,

Is this the "new and improved" Purist with the lower noise floor and updated power supply?  Thanks for your time and assitance.

Mike

DeanSheen

New Product Availability
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2005, 05:19 am »
Thanks for the updates.  Cant wait till 1q 06.

Curt

Re: Purist preamp
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2005, 02:44 pm »
Quote from: dawkimi
Hi Curt,

Is this the "new and improved" Purist with the lower noise floor and updated power supply?  Thanks for your time and assitance.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The Purists in Charlotte are the lastest version 1.01. This is the exact model reviewed by TNT Audio. They are all black faceplate models.

kfr01

New Product Availability
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2005, 05:21 pm »
I'm lazy.

Any chance for a remote?  
Any pre-amp w/o a remote is a non-starter for me.  I suspect the same is true for many other people.  Makes the whole thing pretty user and wife unfriendly.

Your products look excellent.  I love the concept of a high quality crossover right in the preamp.

Curt

New Product Availability
« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2005, 10:06 am »
Quote from: kfr01
I'm lazy.

Any chance for a remote?  
Any pre-amp w/o a remote is a non-starter for me.  I suspect the same is true for many other people.  Makes the whole thing pretty user and wife unfriendly.

Your products look excellent.  I love the concept of a high quality crossover right in the preamp.

A remote has been a common request and it is being considered. We are thinking the remote sould be volume control only.

At this point I'm thinking that if it doesn't effect the audio quality it should be included.

Thank you for your input.

dgotlse

Remote
« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2006, 01:46 pm »
Hi Curt,

according to a few French customers and happy owners of Purist, its only flaw is that it comes "remoteless".

My understanding is that you are considering implementing a remote control in the "Audiophile preamp".

Do you have any plans for the Purist regarding a remote control?

Thanks

Didier

Curt

Re: Remote
« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2006, 02:02 pm »
Quote from: dgotlse
Hi Curt,

according to a few French customers and happy owners of Purist, its only flaw is that it comes "remoteless".

My understanding is that you are considering implementing a remote control in the "Audiophile preamp".

Do you have any plans for the Purist regarding a remote control?

Thanks

Didier

Hi Didier,

Thank you for your interest. We have been getting quite a bit of e-mail from France and Italy over the past few months. It's nice to chat with audiophiles from different places.

I wouldn't go as far as calling no remote a flaw. The Purist is our reference preamplifier and as its name suggests its design is very clean and simple which avoids unnecessary signal degradation.

I was considering a remote to increase the Purist volume control's attenuation before I added additional gain settings in revision 2.0 (still in the lab) but now the Swiss 24 pos volume control switch looks like  the best choice again. So, at this time it looks like the Purist will not get a remote control.

We have decided to remote control the Audiophile preamplifier because there are just too many controls that need to be adjusted. A remote control will allow the adjustments to be made while sitting in the sweet spot, just like they should be. Balancing loudspeakers and integrating a sub woofer while using the built-in active crossover will be easy only requiring a few test CDs.

dgotlse

Purist and remote
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2006, 04:59 pm »
Dear Curt,

sorry for naming the lack of a remote control a "flaw" !!!

My laziness has no boundary  :lol:

Curt

Re: Purist and remote
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:53 pm »
Quote from: dgotlse
Dear Curt,

sorry for naming the lack of a remote control a "flaw" !!!

My laziness has no boundary  :lol:

Dear Didier,

No problem, I understand. I like a remote myself, that's why it will be in the Audiophile preamp.

The Purist is our reference and we try to keep it as clean as possible. The more goodies we add the more chance to degrade the S/N ratio.

audionoob

New Product Availability
« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2006, 08:30 am »
Hey Curt...1st Qtr 2006 is almost up, is the Audiophile preamp still on scehdule?

Curt

New Product Availability
« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2006, 10:28 am »
Quote from: audionoob
Hey Curt...1st Qtr 2006 is almost up, is the Audiophile preamp still on scehdule?

We are working on the Audiophile, the Purist 2.0, and the PT-2 all at the same time. None are ready for production yet but we are moving closer daily. This all I can tell you now.

scottpretti

New Product Availability
« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2006, 03:22 pm »
What the scoop on the Purist 2.0?

Curt

New Product Availability
« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2006, 08:01 pm »
Quote from: scottpretti
What the scoop on the Purist 2.0?

It's just evolution. We are making a few changes for high-gain amplifier and/or high-efficiency loudspeaker systems. This gives the Purist 2.0 new opportunities. We are responding to requests.

The Purist is our reference preamp, we update it from time-to-time to reflect things that we have learned and customer requests. The last update was revision 1.01 in 2003. The reason the Purist is jumping from rev 1 to rev 2 is because it uses a new PCB (our second PCB).

Revision 2.0 includes:

1.) More low gain (< 0dB) selection choices. This added attenuation allows the 24 position volume control to maintain its full range level control in high-gain and high-efficiency systems.

2.) Lower power supply noise levels. This also helps quiet the system types above.

3.) A new PCB with a slightly different layout design. This optimizes everything old and new to give the best possible performance.

The Purist sounds the same. The lower noise floor in some systems might provide more low level detail thus improving the soundstage. In normal systems at 0dB gain there might not be a noticeable improvement.

The Purist rev 2.0 changes will be noticeable and welcomed in systems that use amplifiers with 30+ dB gain and/or  loudspeakers with > 90dB @1W/1m efficiency.

The Audiophile will also be using the new Purist 2.0 technology.

westcoast

Purist version 2.0
« Reply #17 on: 23 Mar 2006, 12:24 pm »
Curt, is there an upgrade path for owners of the Purist rev. 1.01?  

Are you adding a gain setting for the 2.0, or just reconfiguring the three settings on the 1.01?  Have you set pricing for the 2.0?  

Thanks, Curt!

Curt

Re: Purist version 2.0
« Reply #18 on: 23 Mar 2006, 12:56 pm »
Quote from: westcoast
Curt, is there an upgrade path for owners of the Purist rev. 1.01?  

Are you adding a gain setting for the 2.0, or just reconfiguring the three settings on the 1.01?  Have you set pricing for the 2.0?  

Thanks, Curt!

The Purist is quite modular and easy to work on, anything can be replaced. We always allow an upgrade path for existing Purist owners.

We added more gain settings to the existing gain selector which means we also changed the faceplate silkscreen to show the available positions.

There is no plan to increase the Purist 2.0's MSRP or online pricing.

We do not recommend upgrading from rev 1.01 unless your system is high-gain or high-efficiency and requires the lower gain settings.

HChi

New Product Availability
« Reply #19 on: 23 Mar 2006, 03:03 pm »
Hello Curt,
It is nice to hear that everything is progressing well.  When Purist 2.0 upgrade is available, please contact me.  The recent upgrade of amps with high gain and sensitivity cause the audible hissing when putting the ear close to the speakers.  I am glad to hear the new revision lower the noise level even further.

I hope the pink noise generator is staying.  I have been using it to burn in my new amps and tube preamp.  I really like it.

I know there is slight voltage dropped during the preamp power up. Is there a plan to offer a remedy?  While others' rigs may be ok this, my amps seem to quite sensitivity to a so slight drop.  Although I have been leaving mine on almost 24x7x365, it is just another very minor issue I would like to see resolved.

In term of volume pot and input selector, is there a plan to upgrde these as well?

As my system progresses through years, the Purist is the only long lived member that still exists in my rig.  It is indeed one of the best audiophilic bargain available today.   It still hold its own and plays along well with other gears costing much more. I truly look forward to the new updates.

Thanks, Howard