Re: BDP-3 advice asked
« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2020, 08:00 pm »
Introducing myself ; i am new to the forum...from Montreal, Canada

Welcome sir!

james

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2020, 11:45 pm »
Incidentally, the Magic Moose interface itself would be enough to put me off Bryston entirely if there weren't other ways to use the product. Compared to today's mobile interfaces, MM is stuck firmly in 1985. And I don't just mean compared to Roon, I'm not at all a Roon snob. Volumio, Bluesound or even the venerable Bubble Upnp are so far superior. With its internal Pi, it would be awesome to be able to put Volumio on the BDA-3.14...

Cheers,
Robert

Hi Robert

What do you find so problematic with MM.  I have been using it and it certainly has evolved over time but I am interested in what about the interface turns you off?
I for example prefer MM because ROON does not allow you to place your music in Folders whereas MM does.

thanks
james

Hi James, hey I'm not ignoring the question I just want to take some time with MM so that I'm not complaining entirely out of ignorance. I've spent a bit of time on this weekend with MM, mainly setting up the "new to me" BDP-3 and I do find the interface odd and somewhat frustrating to configure. Referring here to things other than the media player. The only reference material I have is an older Manic Moose document I found but it's clearly different than what I see. Setting up NAS media shares, for instance, was curiously painful and when it did finally work, it doesn't allow more than a second level of folder in the share to be its base. Not the end of the world, but I've had my media sorted a specific way for 10 years. Naturally I don't want to reorganize - I want flexibility in the tool that reads it.

The scrolling gets old fast. On a 14" notebook computer it drives me batty, can't imagine it on the mobile phone I normally use for media playing.

Lots of screens that lead to dead URLs. Screens that are undocumented and unintuitive (Alsa Mixer, etc).

I'm just rambling. But even setting up Roon was weird because it sent me to the MM interface where I was faced with a choice of BUC Board or USB audio... Huh? Not sure if anything is set up correctly, or optimally...  And that nags at me. It sounds good, but is it optimal? Wouldn't have a clue...

Cheers,
Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2020, 02:21 am »
Hi James, hey I'm not ignoring the question I just want to take some time with MM so that I'm not complaining entirely out of ignorance. I've spent a bit of time on this weekend with MM, mainly setting up the "new to me" BDP-3 and I do find the interface odd and somewhat frustrating to configure. Referring here to things other than the media player. The only reference material I have is an older Manic Moose document I found but it's clearly different than what I see. Setting up NAS media shares, for instance, was curiously painful and when it did finally work, it doesn't allow more than a second level of folder in the share to be its base. Not the end of the world, but I've had my media sorted a specific way for 10 years. Naturally I don't want to reorganize - I want flexibility in the tool that reads it.

The scrolling gets old fast. On a 14" notebook computer it drives me batty, can't imagine it on the mobile phone I normally use for media playing.

Lots of screens that lead to dead URLs. Screens that are undocumented and unintuitive (Alsa Mixer, etc).

I'm just rambling. But even setting up Roon was weird because it sent me to the MM interface where I was faced with a choice of BUC Board or USB audio... Huh? Not sure if anything is set up correctly, or optimally...  And that nags at me. It sounds good, but is it optimal? Wouldn't have a clue...

Cheers,
Robert

Hi Robert

OK thanks for the feedback - will pass it along.

james

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2020, 04:26 am »
Curious about two things with the BDP-3:

The front panel display has a couple of timeout options which I presume allows it to go off if there is no user activity. But it seems to just immediately come back on. So, for instance when set to 10 seconds, its on for 10 seconds, blinks off briefly, then back on for 10 seconds etc.. Same for all other timeout settings. If set to off it does stay off.

Also, I see by documentation and experimentation, that it cannot accept/pass through native DSD256 material, though my BDA-3.14 could accept this. Is this due to the version of Linux it runs, and if so, is this likely to change at some point or is there a way to do this?

Really enjoying this player and DAC!

Cheers,
Robert

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2020, 03:10 pm »
I'm a generally upbeat and positive person, and I dislike that I'm kind of peeing in the pool here with respect to Manic Moose. It's not my intention to slag it off - I genuinely would like to see it as a Bryston showcase app because the Bryston DAC and Player are fantastic.

I do have another question, this time about how the BDP-3 remembers the music in my NAS share. I assume there is a database somewhere. And related to that, I noted that there are now jpgs in every folder containing music on my NAS. Is there any way to stop the player from creating these?

Cheers,
Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2020, 04:28 pm »
I'm a generally upbeat and positive person, and I dislike that I'm kind of peeing in the pool here with respect to Manic Moose. It's not my intention to slag it off - I genuinely would like to see it as a Bryston showcase app because the Bryston DAC and Player are fantastic.

I do have another question, this time about how the BDP-3 remembers the music in my NAS share. I assume there is a database somewhere. And related to that, I noted that there are now jpgs in every folder containing music on my NAS. Is there any way to stop the player from creating these?

Cheers,
Robert

Hi Robert

That's a Chris Rice question so I will leave it to him.

james

gbaby

« Reply #27 on: 17 Feb 2020, 11:39 pm »
There is nothing wrong with Manic Moose. :nono:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #28 on: 21 Feb 2020, 04:06 pm »

Cheers,
Robert

Hi Robert,

The extra files be generated by Manic Moose is a feature that is turned on by default, but can be turned off form within the Media Player settings (the gear in media player) and the option to check is "disable cover art optimization".  There is a hidden tool that can be used to clean up the generated files, you can find it by entering a url into your browser.  The url is "http://<bdp's ip address>/libraryDoctor.php", replace <bdp's ip address> with the ip address assigned to your BDP.  Click remove generate file, it might take a minute but you should be presented with a long list of files and at the bottom of that list is a button/link to be clicked that will actually remove the files listed.

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #29 on: 21 Feb 2020, 04:37 pm »
There is nothing wrong with Manic Moose. :nono:

The Manic Moose GUI like many, if not all other software packages isn't a one fits all solution.  We try to provide a wide varied ways of using it, but its difficult to cater to everyone's wants/needs so we provide as many methods as possible to use it.  For those that don't like its function there are many other ways of controlling/using the player.  Third party MPD clients like Rigelian, Soundirok, M.A.L.P. and Droid MPD; using Roon (we are working on integrating RoonServer into the BDP-3 along with the its current Roon Ready capability); UPnP Render providing compatibility with UPnP software and a few others.

I do appreciate the support none the less.

Chris

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2020, 06:30 pm »
The Manic Moose GUI like many, if not all other software packages isn't a one fits all solution.   For those that don't like its function there are many other ways of controlling/using the player.  Third party MPD clients like Rigelian, Soundirok, M.A.L.P. and Droid MPD; using Roon (we are working on integrating RoonServer into the BDP-3 along with the its current Roon Ready capability); UPnP Render providing compatibility with UPnP software and a few others.

Chris

I think these other MPD "clients" need to be mentioned more often. They're under the radar of most people new to BDP ecosystems.

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #31 on: 22 Feb 2020, 04:33 am »
The Manic Moose GUI like many, if not all other software packages isn't a one fits all solution.  We try to provide a wide varied ways of using it, but its difficult to cater to everyone's wants/needs so we provide as many methods as possible to use it.  For those that don't like its function there are many other ways of controlling/using the player.  Third party MPD clients like Rigelian, Soundirok, M.A.L.P. and Droid MPD; using Roon (we are working on integrating RoonServer into the BDP-3 along with the its current Roon Ready capability); UPnP Render providing compatibility with UPnP software and a few others.

I do appreciate the support none the less.

Chris

Thank you for that Chris, makes perfect sense. I'll have a look at Rigelian - never heard of that one.

UPnP holds no interest for me - MPD is where it's at. The former is a half-baked solution with more problems that solutions, in my opinion and experience. But testing possible Roon server integration... count me in for a beta tester. I assume if this were to become a thing, combined with onboard media in the BDP-3 the sound quality would be identical to local playback via MM - RAAT wouldn't be used in this case for local playback.

Cheers,
Robert

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 22 Feb 2020, 12:31 pm »
Thank you for that Chris, makes perfect sense. I'll have a look at Rigelian - never heard of that one.
Cheers,
Robert

"Rigelian". From Rigel-IV, a planet in the Rigel system.
See the episode, Wolf In The Fold (Star Trek circa 1967). 

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #33 on: 22 Feb 2020, 03:30 pm »
"Rigelian". From Rigel-IV, a planet in the Rigel system.
See the episode, Wolf In The Fold (Star Trek circa 1967).

So it really did come out of left field then.

Cheers,
Robert

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 22 Feb 2020, 06:42 pm »
So it really did come out of left field then.

Cheers,
Robert

Yup, Fido.

cheers

zoom25

« Reply #35 on: 22 Feb 2020, 07:38 pm »

UPnP holds no interest for me - MPD is where it's at. The former is a half-baked solution with more problems that solutions, in my opinion and experience. But testing possible Roon server integration... count me in for a beta tester. I assume if this were to become a thing, combined with onboard media in the BDP-3 the sound quality would be identical to local playback via MM - RAAT wouldn't be used in this case for local playback.

Cheers,
Robert

I feel the same way. Either Roon or MPD w/ Manic Moose as they are both stable in their implementation. I haven't enjoyed my limited experience with DLNA/UPnP solutions and interfaces. Roon has decided that they will not support the folder view as it goes against their philosophy and how they want their customers to use the product. I enjoy the no-nonsense folder browsing view of MPD in that regard.

Whenever it finally happens, it'd be good to know whether RAAT is being utilized or not in that internal scheme.

Right now I continue to use WAVs with my NAS and/or hard drives.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #36 on: 23 Feb 2020, 04:28 pm »
The RoonServer implementation as it currently sits allows you to select the audio devices directly or the audio devices via RAAT.  There really shouldn't be any issue using the audio devices through RAAT as it's a local internal software connection.  Currently the display, buttons and remote on the BDP only work when RAAT is being utilized because the RAAT sources have the ability for a manufacturer to add some customization to the program to allow these custom peripherals to function. 

There has been talk of an intimediary update between manic moose and nutty narwhal for the BDP-3 to make it an all in one roon box that also has transport controls and a display for feedback. 

There will likely be a beta program, but I don't think it'll be released till late summer/early fall.

I'm not a fan of UPnP either, but other people like using it and that's ok to.

Chris

Calypte

« Reply #37 on: 23 Feb 2020, 06:02 pm »
I'm confused.  Is Nutty Narwhal the next version of the firmware?  Somehow I thought it preceded Manic Moose.  No?  If not, then what preceded Manic Moose?

zoom25

« Reply #38 on: 23 Feb 2020, 06:59 pm »
Canadian Beaver, followed by Loony Loon.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 23 Feb 2020, 07:02 pm »
I'm confused.  Is Nutty Narwhal the next version of the firmware?  Somehow I thought it preceded Manic Moose.  No?  If not, then what preceded Manic Moose?

Lazy Goose?   :lol: :green: