BDP-3 advice asked

bobf

Re: BDP-3 advice asked
« Reply #40 on: 23 Feb 2020, 07:51 pm »
Incidentally, the Magic Moose interface itself would be enough to put me off Bryston entirely if there weren't other ways to use the product. Compared to today's mobile interfaces, MM is stuck firmly in 1985. And I don't just mean compared to Roon, I'm not at all a Roon snob. Volumio, Bluesound or even the venerable Bubble Upnp are so far superior. With its internal Pi, it would be awesome to be able to put Volumio on the BDA-3.14...

Cheers,
Robert

Hi Robert

What do you find so problematic with MM.  I have been using it and it certainly has evolved over time but I am interested in what about the interface turns you off?
I for example prefer MM because ROON does not allow you to place your music in Folders whereas MM does.

thanks
james

A Manic Moose problem with Acer Chromebook in notebook mode is the quick scroll does not work. Open Artist and can only slow scroll. This is an issue as there are 3600 artists on my hard drive. Fortunately MPDroid does quick scroll.
Another feature MPDroid has that is handy is the ability to remove individual tracks from selection currently playing. Useful for deleting duplicate tracks.
Like others I find Roon diminishes sound quality vs. Manic Moose. I tried Roon two years ago and then again a year later with the same result.

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #41 on: 25 Feb 2020, 06:35 pm »
Roon's supposed inability to allowing you to browse by folder used to really annoy me also, as that's how I was accustomed to choosing what I wanted to listen to. However, my folder structure is by Artist/Album/Track. So browsing Roon's Artist view is really identical: choose the artist, choose the album or dive into the tracks. What different about that? Well, speed for one thing. In a raw directory listing you can more quickly scroll to the "S" section to find Supertramp more quickly than paging down in Roon. But I can just type "super" and Roon presents me with a list in seconds that includes Supertramp. So is the raw listing really quicker?

Granted, when you're just noodling around its faster, but if you're just poking around is speed an issue? Or searching for that band you can't remember (starts with a P I'm sure...) maybe it is quicker to scroll a directory. But surely I remember more than just "P" - maybe a band member, a track, genre etc that will help me do a proper search instead of scrolling until something catches my eye.

Anyway, I'm getting used to Roon and liking it more all the time. I totally get the desire for directory scrolling and it annoys me that Roon just dig in their heels and say No, look elsewhere if that's what you want. But I'm more and more OK without it. YMMV obviously.

Cheers,
Robert

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 14 Feb 2021, 04:34 pm »