Call Me by Your Name

stlrman

Call Me by Your Name
« on: 20 Mar 2018, 12:33 pm »
This is a gay love story.
 There are many beautiful moments of cinema, and it's a very well done movie overall , with much critical acclaim. That said,
My wife and I both had a problem with the love story.     A 30 something man with a 17 year child !! Um, NO!
There are a couple a scenes that are uncomfortable to watch. 

Mike B.

Re: Call Me by Your Name
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2018, 03:30 pm »
I decided to skip it for the reasons you point out. I have no problem with gays. It has to do with the age difference and the intimate content.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2018, 04:07 pm »
I haven't seen the movie but I did want to point out that the age of consent in Italy is 14, and it's 16 in most of the rest of the world. 

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2018, 04:43 pm »
A 30 something man with a 17 year child !! Um, NO!

I agree, just too creepy.
But I did enjoy watching Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall together on screen, she was 19 and he was 44 when they married and they remained married until his death in 1957.

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2018, 04:57 pm »
I agree, just too creepy.
But I did enjoy watching Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall together on screen, she was 19 and he was 44 when they married and they remained married until his death in 1957.

Well that's different, she was a girl and you know, hot, so it's OK /snark.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2018, 06:00 am »
I want to see this one!  I don't think the age thing is a genuine issue- it's a movie for one thing, it's not like they're really having sex.  Second, as Tyson says the age of consent in much of the world is lower than here and there are different cultural norms.  Lastly, art is art and life is life.  Who here would refuse to read Nabakov, one of the greatest writers in the history of literature, because one of his classic novels involves pedophilia?

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2018, 06:38 pm »
Just watched this - holy crap it hit me right in the gut.  The heart to heart with the father at the end, had me weeping big manly tears.  I hope when the time comes with my daughter, I can connect with her in that way.  Jesus.  Amazing.